Which flea medicine actually works?

jr70895

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been using Advantage Multi on my 2 cats. It treats fleas, ear mites. round, hook, and heart worms. They do go outside and it's flea season. However, the medicine says it kills fleas on contact. Well, that's not happening as I use a flea comb and the fleas I get off are still alive.
I comb them several times per day. I'm thinking about changing flea medicine and looking for recommendations. I know keeping them inside will help but I let them roam the yard every morning.
Thanks

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On top of a new treatment such as the ones Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested, if you let your cats outside you might want to treat the yard. I treated my catio with beneficial nematodes, microscopic things that eat flea larvae. My cats (and two Papillons) have been outside quite a bit in it so far this spring/summer and I have not had fleas, nor have I had to treat anyone. I ordered mine from Amazon. They are 100% harmless to humans, pets, and beneficial insects, they just really like to eat flea larvae, which is a huge help in breaking the cycle. :)
Beneficial nematodes for flea control

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Of the longer standing ones - Advantage II and Frontline Plus - I think it depends on the area. it seems that fleas have developed an immunity to these products in certain areas of the country, and probably other countries as well. The newer products seem to be more effective but often come with warnings about the chance of neurological issues in cats with a history, but also some cats who haven't had previous issues. Revolution (not the Plus version) is a bit older but I have heard less about iit having a reduced effectiveness. Getting topicals that cotain an IGR (insect growth regulator) are best because they not only kill fleas, they kill the eggs and larvae too.

The thing is if you have fleas in your home and/or yard, just applying a flea treatment to the cat is not enough. The house and yard should be treated and constant vacuuming needs to be done to help remove the flea eggs/larvae. Bedding and anything else that a cat lays on should be washed frequently too. Depending on how severs the infestation is, it can take weeks, if not months, to eradicate them entirely.

You probably should ask your vet what works best in your area and then lookup the products on the internet to find out what you can about them. You might also like this web site for more information.
FleaScience

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just reading that fleas cannot survive in hot weather,above 75 degrees. They can survive at 35 degrees. At my apartment the yards are treated once a week.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just reading that fleas cannot survive in hot weather,above 75 degrees. They can survive at 35 degrees. At my apartment the yards are treated once a week.
Now I read that 46 they can survive 95 they will die. Treating the yard is probably best. Good luck!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Check with your vet. There are some medicines that no longer work within certain geographic areas. You've vet should know what medicine works well in your area.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Beg to differ. We have been running in the 90s for days/weeks now, and I don't think it has phased them one bit. Sure would be nice if that were true, though.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used a variety of flea meds and have found that it's a smart idea to switch between different kinds periodically. After a while, fleas gain resistance to a given med and (hopefully) not from another. I alternate between Advantage and Frontline.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use chemicals. I had one instance where one of my cats was infected with fleas. I used boiling water and dawn (not on the cat!). use a flea comb to get fleas off the cat and dip the comb in the dawn/water. kills them. Then vacuum everything and toss the bag right away.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beg to differ. We have been running in the 90s for days/weeks now, and I don't think it has phased them one bit. Sure would be nice if that were true, though.
Interesting! Out here, fleas aren't nearly the problem in hot inland areas that they are near the coast.

Perhaps there's also a difference in humidity.