Which first

Berneragdoll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, new here

I love both cats and dogs and for ages i have been doing research on which dog to go for first and then i studied dog behaviour. After years of research i have choose the bernese mountain dog there very laid back dogs and a lot of berner friends own cats too as they get on really well with cats.

i also really love cats my favorite cat is the ragdoll ( i have known a few) , there gentle , affectionate cats and i have read that they are friendly with other animals and are a goid choice to have if you get a dog or have a dog.

i plan on owning both ragdoll and bernese mountain dogs but im struggling to choose which one should come first.

So some friends who own both cats and dogs and some of my berner friends who have cats have all said to get the cat first then the dog.

But ive had 2 people tell me dog first then cat.

Im really struggling to pick which i should get first. So really wanted peoples opinions on which i should get first?

I would also really appreciate any book reccomendations on learning about cats and there behavior\body language as i want to understand cats really well like i can read dogs really well.

Looking for to meeting you all and any advice you can give.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Berneragdoll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention that i have also been advised to get both at the same time but that wont be possible.

The closest i could do is 1year apart.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most Berners that I've been around are very high energy, bouncy dogs. Maybe get the dog first, give it time to calm down a bit, then get the cat. Then you're not bringing a giant bouncy puppy into your cat's established home.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see it both ways. As mentioned above, the benefit of getting the dog first is that they'll have time to grow up a little before the cat comes in. But you'll have to make a special effort to train the dog to be nice to cats.

The benefit of getting the cat first is that you won't have to go out of your way to find a cat to train the dog to be nice. And the dog will grow up thinking cats are part of the family.

So it could go either way! Just depends on how you want to do it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
First, I'd like to welcome you to TCS! :welcomesign: Second, having had both cats and dogs, some at the same time and some at different intervals due to age and life expectancy. A lot depends not only on the breed but the individual temperament of the dog or cat. The Bernese Mountain dog is a wonderful breed but you should be aware of some of the health issues, particularly MH, malignant histiocytosis. It is prevalent in Berners and our last dog, who was a mix, had a form of it, i.e. it had not gone into the malignant stage but was treated the same way. Any reputable breeder should be knowledgeable about this devastating illness so do your homework, ask questions and be informed.

The above being said, we have had cats who loved our dogs, co-existed with our dogs or outright wanted to be left alone. However, obedience training as well as consistency on the owner's part is a must with any dog. There are several Articles on the site that may have some helpful information for you:
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – TheCatSite Articles
Best And Worst Dog Breeds To Live With Cats – TheCatSite Articles (Note: I don't necessarily agree with some of the dog breed choices but that's my own personal opinion.)

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor. :heartshape: Please keep us posted when you bring your dog and/or cat into your home.