Which eye product should I use?

grayfluffy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is an abandoned cat that I have been feeding for a couple of years now and he got earmites so bad that his head was swollen. I have treated him for ear mites. The swelling has gone down, but his one eye where the swelling was the worst in that ear on that side has been watering, I'm assuming from the earmites or maybe an infection. The watering started before ear mite treatment.

Which product would you use? Vetericyn or Terramycin?

Has anyone used these products, which is better?

Does someone have a different recommendation for treating a watering irritated eye?

I used to use Vetropolycin for eye infections, but it is unavailable without a prescription now. I think Terramycin is a good replacement for that product from what I have read. Does anyone know if the two products compare?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GrayFluffy

...his one eye where the swelling was the worst in that ear on that side has been watering, I'm assuming from the earmites or maybe an infection. The watering started before ear mite treatment.

Which product would you use? Vetericyn or Terramycin?

Has anyone used these products, which is better?

Does someone have a different recommendation for treating a watering irritated eye?...
Thumbs up for caring for this little one!

I probably would suspect an infection as well...but, I'm not so sure that it would be an eye infection....especially, considering that it was his head that was swollen.

If the discharge from the eye is in any way discoloured, it's safe to presume infection...but, remember the infection may not have originated there...and, using an opthalmic antibiotic will probably not take care of a systemic infection. That treatment might, in fact, mask an original underlying problem. If the eye discharge is clear/uncoloured, it isn't the direct product of an infection (but possibly indirect, from pressure on the eye, for example.)

I would be extremely concerned in any case because the swollen area is so close to the brain.

Is there no way to have him seen by a Vet? (I care for two abandoned cats and I'd be talking to my local rescues if I needed a Vet consult for one of them.)

Plain and simple, I wouldn't be treating the eye to the exclusion of another possible causative factor.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it is just watering and no actual goopy green or yellow discharge, I would suggest BMP which is prescribed for a lot of my fosters here with mild conjunctivitis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grayfluffy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

If it is just watering and no actual goopy green or yellow discharge, I would suggest BMP which is prescribed for a lot of my fosters here with mild conjunctivitis.
What is BMP and is it an over the counter medication?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grayfluffy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by White Shadow

Is there no way to have him seen by a Vet? (I care for two abandoned cats and I'd be talking to my local rescues if I needed a Vet consult for one of them.)
I can't afford to take him to the vet and there aren't any local animal rescues in my area. The local humane society does not help with these things.