Which dog breeds are known to be good with cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ahem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kelicat

Nice
I think we've all felt this way a time or two! Good luck in however you go :-) Keep us updated.
Now what YOU say is funny.

save animals

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i thought that pug dogs where most nice to cats but i was wrong thank you for leting me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

dannap5194

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I recommend testing the cat. My cat came to us so not sure. We already had a lab and a Yorkie. They mixed just fine. They sleep together, play together and are just fine. But it also depends on the temperament of all animals involved. I recommend letting them visit. Not every cat will like dogs or other cats and the same goes for dogs. My cat doesn't like my sister in laws Yorkie, but tolerates it just fine.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know this is an old thread, but I had to put in my two cents worth in case any one is asking themselves this question four years later:

I really depends upon the dog + cat.  Trysh and I have been trying to socialize a feral cat for almost a year.  We moved Mystique into Trysh's Cattery with the goal of socializing her enough to be able to adopt her out into a Forever Home.  She is still quite skittish; we'd not been able to pet her.  (The other four cats we moved into her cattery over this past year have been adopted out.)

One day last week Trysh decided to let Mystique and "Dougal" see each other.  Mystique absolutely fell in love with Dougal, head butting him, laying next to him, weaving in between his legs, playing.  For the first time, Trysh was able to pet Mystique when Mystique was engaged with Dougal.  For the first time, Mystique laid down with a "soft eyes" expression.  This morning when I played with Mystique, she seemed calmer, more at ease.

Dougal is a tall, pure-bred Vizsla, less than a year old, well behaved, not neutered (she is showing the dog).  Mystique will fit underneath Dougal's legs when he is standing. Size doesn't necessarily matter.

I'd go with an slightly older shelter dog; their personalities are more known to the volunteers.

dalia valentino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please do not get your pets from a breeder.  Adopt from a shelter.  Most dogs and cats are neutered or spayed, housed trained, and vaccinated.  Put breeders out of business!  Their animals wind out in shelters anyway.  So why give them the business?  Do you research as to what type of breed are cat-friendly and TAKE YOUR TIME.  I have three cats:  two seniors and a one year old.  I was thinking about committing myself to a dog, too.  I'm looking at shelters and foster sites.  Petfinder.com appears to be a great choice to conduct your search and it is loaded with information that will help you make the right choice.  Please do not give breeders any more business.  They are the reason our local shelters and Animal Control are congested with unwanted pets.  These poor creatures are being euthanized for no fault of their own.  They didn't ask to be bred.

dalia valentino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Question:   did you train your Boxer to like your cats?  I'm thinking about adopting a medium size dog.  I realize there may be some time taken into Introducing the dog to the cats (I have three - 2 are seniors (9 yr olds) and 1 - one yr old).

dcarv3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i was wondering if you could help me find a good dog that will be good with my two cats and is a good watch dog

we just had an breakin and my moms a bit scared now but we will not give up our cats 

one of my cats actually stayed scared 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course you can't judge a dog solely on the breed it would be good if you could find a dog that has been around cats to know for sure.  I don't know how big you want to go with a dog but mastiff type dogs usually do well with cats and tend to be laid back and easy going with the family.  They usually aren't known for being attack type dogs but they are watchful and will do what is necessary to protect. Their size is enough to intimidate.  The one drawback is that they have the loose jowls on their mouth which means they are droolers.

rosti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Labs are know to be very good with pets and children. However, I have heard they can be hard to train. I believe that Golden Retreivers (sp?) are, on average, the best dog breed.

Last edited:

cattree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it is hard to say what dog is good with cats as it all depends upon how much they are socialized with cats when they are young..

kushmama89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
any dog can be good with cats. I've seen TONS of pit bulls that are AMAZING with cats. my pit bull mothered my cat, tried nursing her and everything. she plays with all three of mine and they beat her up. she's sleeping with one of them right now as I type....and there's actually a thread on here with pictures of pit bulls and their kittys =)

kdobe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My doberman loved cats, he would clean them, play with them. IT was almost like he was a proud papa. Plus very smart, trainable and seems to be the size you would like.

kdobe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
bijon frisse constantly barked at my cat while I was petsitting. He wasn't intending to hurt her, but the constant yapping scared her and seemed to hurt her ears. Not happy, she was always fine w/dobes, hounds , border collies, pitts...the type that would mutually respect her. A little poodle that was yappy and hyper drover her crazy.

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
bijon frisse constantly barked at my cat while I was petsitting. He wasn't intending to hurt her, but the constant yapping scared her and seemed to hurt her ears. Not happy, she was always fine w/dobes, hounds , border collies, pitts...the type that would mutually respect her. A little poodle that was yappy and hyper drover her crazy.
It's spelled Bichon Frise.

And most Bichons are pretty good with cats.

kushmama89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

a lot of small dogs that are yippy tend to scare cats. not saying that's ALL small dogs and it will definitely be like that...but its true.

It's spelled Bichon Frise.
well if you're going to be so crappy about spelling then you forgot the accent mark....it's Bichon Frisé. You know what she meant, be nice...no need to embarrass, just overlook it.

And most Bichons are pretty good with cats.
and I know a lot of them that are bad with cats.
it all has to do with how they're raised and socialized. any dog can be good or bad with any other animal or person.

Last edited:

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
a lot of small dogs that are yippy tend to scare cats. not saying that's ALL small dogs and it will definitely be like that...but its true.
well if you're going to be so crappy about spelling then you forgot the accent mark....it's Bichon Frisé. You know what she meant, be nice...no need to embarrass, just overlook it.
and I know a lot of them that are bad with cats.
it all has to do with how they're raised and socialized. any dog can be good or bad with any other animal or person.
The fact that I do not know how to type the accent mark (and do not have Microsoft Word to pull it up and copy it) does not mean I do not know how to spell it.

I have also never met a "yippy" bichon. I've heard they exist but mostly of the puppy mill type. One of the hallmarks of the Bichon breed is the lack of the typical small dog "yippy" voice.

I used to have a show Bichon.

Last edited:

kushmama89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I never said that you didnt know how to spell. I just said that you obviously knew what the person meant, so you could have ignored it.

And my friend had a wonderful Bichon Frisé from a qualified breeder, but the dog could still be yippy. And I know several others that are yappy. In fact I dont know any that ARENT...hm. Here, since you said they're not known to be yappy dogs..

http://www.bichonfriseguide.com/bichon/bichon-frises/are-bichon-frises-yappy-dogs-3

"If you don't want to deal with...
  • Notorious housebreaking difficulties
  • "Separation anxiety" (destructiveness and barking) when left alone too much
  • Shyness in some lines, or when not socialized enough
  • Frequent clipping of the curly coat
  • Potential for excessive barking
A Bichon Frise may not be right for you." - http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/bichonfrise.html

i have many more available if you would like more. But my point is, any dog can be good with a cat if you try hard enough and introduce/socialize correctly

Last edited:

pixle poo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 4 Persians but my fave had a very rough start. We have been through a lot so she put her Tortietude aside & is always by my side. Have rescued a St. Bernard w/epilepsy & 2 more 6 mth old puppies inside with them until they decided to eat the furniture. They were stolen from fenced in yard. We moved since then but the 1 with epilepsy was roughly 13 yrs & I lost her. My cats are all over 10 yrs.old & and am also looking again. The BEST dog I ever had was a rescue & I got her a cat to keep her company when I went to work. My sister had a very tall male Dobbie who kittensat 2 litters of kittens(both trying to nurse). None were puppies. Actually Pet Finder & perhaps Rescue Me have dogs who are "cat approved". Even if you have the time and experience training dogs it will still stress your cat out. Since some breeders will tell you anything you want to hear, getting a " cat approved" rescue is the safest & best bet. Persians don't care to play with puppies once grown other than the occasional swat as they go by. Getting a dog 3 yrs & up is best, usually not even offered by breeders is your best bet. Everybody wins. Good luck with your search