Which cat litter brand is the best?

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my kittens has a foul aroma and nothing wrong with him or what he eats, have tried probiotics but he's sensitive to some. No stomach issues or stool consistency issues but a small turd of his could clear out a small village. It definitely spreads through our 3 level home as if the turd were following you around wrapping you in it's aroma. We find that Dr Elseys works best for his stinky poops, at first it's smelly but the smell dissipates faster using Dr. Elseys than other litters. Sometimes I can't scoop immediately but I scoop all boxes 3-4 times a day

I can't use the 24/7 tidy cats because it smells terrible. Even just opening the container it made my whole house reek of potpourri smell. We also tried the free unscented which indeed didn't have a scent but i found it to be lacking in clumping, odor control, and tracking/stuck to feet. It cemented to my cats feet all the time even if they didn't walk in urine or anything. Also the charcoal in it made them leave black footprints on the white tiled floor and it stained their white paws black.
We had a brief period without a cat. Then I set up the litterbox and my husband complained about the litterbox smell. It was literally unused tidycats, but he swore it needed to be tended to.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not that it's emitted for you to see, I use a lot of boxes and some are light colored and some are dark colored. The fresh step doesn't show as much dust in the light colored boxes but in a dark box whoo boy. After one use the whole box is coated in dust and taking a damp towel or wipe to the box shows a huge collection of dust. Also i observed my cats feet after using each litter and we tried fresh step clean paws, simply unscented, ultra unscented and some kind of other unscented i could only find online and every single one of them had this large amount of dust. I also note that fresh step unscented is not unscented. After cleaning these boxes i can smell the scent of the litter in my nostrils for quite some time, its especially prevalent if you blow your nose right after which I have to do due to allergies.

The areas that had the fresh step boxes were also coated in a fine dust after a short period of time. Fixtures, furniture, hard flooring. Dr Elsey's does this too but the fresh step has more dust in my experience.
I am glad that is not my experience with Fresh Step. I have four dark blue litter boxes with two of them on either side of a black dresser. There is more cat hair on the dresser than dust. :lol:

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am a huge fan of Arm & Hammer Slide for multiple cats plus a sprinkle of their litter box deodorizer between scoops (I have 1 box between two young cats that I scoop 2x a day.)
The Slide litter doesn’t stick to the bottom of the box, and tracks less, yet acts like clay clumping litter. I think it’s like magic!

KavKit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hate World's Best! It amazes me that it's one of the most highly recommended litters. I gave my bag away to my dad to use for oil in the driveway, it was so bad. It did nothing to cover up the urine smell (actually exacerbated it) and didn't even clump properly. I feel like I could have found a better litter at the dollar store. :rolleyes:

I also use Dr. Elsey's, which isn't perfect, but sufficient for us.
I am so surprised you all don't like World's Best. I absolutely love it. I have two cats and there is never any smell. I also don't worry about litter being tracked every where. And I like that it's natural and flushable. I empty their boxes once a day and flush right down the toilet! No waisting of plastic bags. I also foster and my newest foster cat's dirty paws and eye crusties went away- I fully believe- because of the newer litter and not the usual high dust litter used at most shelters. It's expensive. But I swear by it.

crouton

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so surprised you all don't like World's Best. I absolutely love it. I have two cats and there is never any smell. I also don't worry about litter being tracked every where. And I like that it's natural and flushable. I empty their boxes once a day and flush right down the toilet! No waisting of plastic bags. I also foster and my newest foster cat's dirty paws and eye crusties went away- I fully believe- because of the newer litter and not the usual high dust litter used at most shelters. It's expensive. But I swear by it.
I tried every variety they have, I have hard floors in my house. It tracked everywhere despite mats all over. Was stuck in my cats feet, on their nails, on their butts, they are short haired cats. It smelled like a rancid compost pile in every variety, and I could definitely smell the cat urine smell after one use of it, it also did not help any fecal smell. It also costed every every box I tried it in in dust, and there was dust on the furniture near those boxes. It’s very dusty. The cats even tracked dusty paw prints out of the box, on the mat and all over wooden floors where it was apparent due to the color of the litter.

this is with me scooping 3-4 times a day, I can’t imagine using that litter and only scooping once per day. Some people seem to like it but for me it was a huge fail. The clumps stayed wet so if I scooped even an hour later the clump was all soggy or stuck to the box or my scoop.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Interesting! Yeah, maybe I just got a bad batch or something because it's ranked pretty highly by a lot of sites. I can't speak much for the dustiness because that was before Morty developed his allergies, but the smell was pretty bad. I think the reason it smelled so much was because it just wouldn't clump, so the pee was basically lingering around in the litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I started using Tidy Cats and I love it so far! My cats don't mind it either. It's quite good that it is scented and it absorbs the smell quite well. If I decide to move on from Tidy Cats I will try the other recommended litters as well, but I am going to stick with it now for some time and see how it goes. Thanks again guys :)

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, I want to say that I stopped using silica based and changed to okocat!! a wood pellet litter. I hope everything works out for you!