Which cat is peeing?

Shadow3lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ever since we had the Arctic freeze (in Texas), 1 of my animals is peeing in all the pet beds. I can’t figure out which one it is, and everyone is healthy except 1 that has severe asthma (but I don’t think it’s her). I have 5 cats and 2 dogs, but I’m pretty sure the odor is cat pee. It started with peeing in the beds in the kitchen. We had no power or water for 2 weeks and it was 40 degrees in the house. By the time I realized the wet beds, it had soaked into the wood floor and warped. I threw out the beds and mopped the floor several times. Over the past 2 months, it kept happening in the new kitchen beds. Also once in the dog bed in the bedroom. And most recently realized that the beds under the coffee table had also been peed in at some point and soaked into my area rug. I have now washed all the beds and threw out the $800 rug. So now what?

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could you maybe get a couple home cameras (e.g., Wyze) so you can at least try to figure out the timeline of who was in the bed last prior to pee discovery?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You probably need to get some enzymatic cleaners to remove any urine smell left after you mopped the floors - just to help discourage further peeing in those areas. It sounds like you are placing the beds back in the locations where the peeing previously occurred and if there is a urine smell still there, it will be picked up by the cat - even if you can't smell it. A few members on this site swear by Fizzion and SCOE10x - both of which can be used on most any surface including wood. It probably wouldn't hurt to rewash the beds, trying some different techniques to ensure they too are free of any lingering urine smell. I've included below a link to a TCS article that discusses different things to try.

Aside from the suggestion above about baby cams or other similar cameras - which I think is a good idea - you might also try using puppy pee pads since it would seem whatever cat is doing this wants to pee on soft things. Not in the pet beds, but perhaps beside them or very nearby. At least that might help with clean up until this issue is resolved. Maybe some pads placed close to the litter boxes as well. This could be a stress reaction to the weather you experienced and the pet is still stressed or the inappropriate peeing is still happening because of the lingering urine smell or because it is now starting to become a habit.

I know you say everyone seems healthy, but once you identify the 'culprit', I would at least have a urinalysis/urine culture done to see if anything is 'brewing' in that pet's urinary tract as a result of the stress. Unfortunately, things could get complicated as you might actually find, on the cams, more than one cat doing it - sometimes when one cat pees inappropriately other cats will follow suit to 're-claim' that area as their own. They pee there so it smells like them instead of the other cat. Hopefully not the case.
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shadow3lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I installed a camera and discovered it wasn’t either of the 2 cats I suspected but it is my youngest 2 yr old. I was totally shocked. I mopped again this morning and again have washed the bedding. I also sprayed the floor with some angry orange. I would like to just not put the bedding there again but the dogs insist on laying there when I’m not home because it is behind the dining table and they feel safe there. I think the problem seems to occur if I don’t scoop the boxes on a given day, I forgot yesterday and she did it this morning while I was making breakfast.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have? For 5 cats, ideally you should have 6 - but I know sometimes space is an issue. At any rate, add a couple of boxes, maybe even placing two close together. If one is too 'dirty' for your cat, maybe she will use the other one instead?

Shadow3lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have? For 5 cats, ideally you should have 6 - but I know sometimes space is an issue. At any rate, add a couple of boxes, maybe even placing two close together. If one is too 'dirty' for your cat, maybe she will use the other one instead?
I have 5 boxes. 3 in the kitchen and 2 in the master bath.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your dogs only want to use the beds when you are away from home, is it possible to place the beds in crates with doors? You could open the doors only when you are leaving your home, and 'invite' the dogs to go inside, precluding your cat from having access at other points in time. A lot of folks crate train dogs as those I have talked to seem to think it helps them with a sense of security - which seems it would apply to yours as well.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago I assumed it was the cat when there was pee in the son's closet a couple of times. We eventually realized it was our son, while sleep walking. So...welcome to the club!

Shadow3lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If your dogs only want to use the beds when you are away from home, is it possible to place the beds in crates with doors? You could open the doors only when you are leaving your home, and 'invite' the dogs to go inside, precluding your cat from having access at other points in time. A lot of folks crate train dogs as those I have talked to seem to think it helps them with a sense of security - which seems it would apply to yours as well.
Haha my oldest 2 dogs were crate trained but these 2 have a fit. The little 1 shreds everything you put in there and my big dog has completely destroyed and broke out of 2 solid steel crates. They are satisfied with being in the kitchen with tall gates and even though the big 1 can jump the 4 foot gates she doesn’t. Maybe I’ll just put a rug there and see if the cat still pees.