Which brushes does everyone prefer?

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe this has been covered here before, if so could someone give a link?

Xena loves to be brushed. She demands it right after breakfast and at least two more times during the day/evening. Her old brush has about had it, It is round with flexible plastic bristles that retract for easy hair removal/cleaning, well used to be. She likes how it feels and I like that it collects the loose hair. What brush does everybody recommend and where is it available. Thanks. 

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cat LOVES getting brushed also! I brush her everyday. She never purrs so loud and runs to the brushes when I get them out. I got all three of our from Amazon.

I brush her with this one first. This one is her favorite:

I wipe her hair off with a small piece of wet paper towel, then run it all over her a second or third time.

Then I brush and massage her with this:

This one is even easier to clean. I move it over her body in circular motion then neatly brush her fur down. She gets a good massage as well as a different kind of feel since the comb pieces are much bigger. I'll then usually go back to the first brush for the final clean off. 

In the warmer months she sheds more, so a few times a month we'll use a shedding tool. She doesn't like this as much as the comb pieces are metal and probably feels a bit cold and sterile to her. Nonetheless, they do a great job of de-shedding her thick fur:

cheaper version here:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Been wondering about the mitts/gloves. A little love bite protection lol. Massage brush looks interesting. Do they have a people sized one lol? Wonder if the glove will scare her. Guess I could just leave it on the floor for a while. Xena tries to brush herself. Poor thing does not have any thumbs. I have a shed blade she allows me to use sparingly. thanks again for the input. Will report later how it goes.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

mrpurrrfectcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use the furminator for my kitty and he is a semi long hair.

I like the way that this isn't harsh metal prongs like some are and it gets quite a bit of loose furr out. I would be interested in other recommendations as although I groom him, he still gets hair balls. Maybe I'm not grooming him long enough.

My cat likes being groomed but not for long! He also likes to sniff the removed furr, lol.

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Boney, we left all the brushes out for over a week in our cat's play area. She's afraid of any and all new objects and needs time to familiarize herself with them. When we first tried to brush her, of course she tried to reject it and moved away. But by the third attempt, she started loving it. Now we can brush her for up to 15 minutes. Of course the humans get tired of it long before she does. She's a shorthaired but it's incredible how much fur comes out every single day! I'm so glad she's no longer eating all that fur and coughing it up. It's not a pleasant sound and the choking sound used to frighten me every single time.

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi MrpurrrfectCat! I use the furminator once in awhile also, but she definitely likes the feel of the rubber mitts/brushes better. She thinks she's getting a massage and will just lay on the floor and turn her body around every minute or so as if to tell me "okay now do this side. Okay now the other side..." Lol. She purrs like crazy and pushes her cheeks and forehead into the brush.

Our cat also sniffs the fur that collects on the brush. She also uses the kong brush as a chew toy. She just likes that rubbery texture and enjoys massaging her gums I guess.

Last edited:

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks betsygee. I have decided to go somewhere where I can touch some brushes. Would like the glove style, but need to see if it is too small to fit my hand. I think I will avoid the wire bristle styles. Will report what I end up with.

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Went to a local pet supply store called Speck's. Got a brush, 2 sided massager and a toy for Xena. She likes. Was surprised how she plays with the toy. She must have been just bored with her old toy pile. Her old favorite toy was a golf ball. She really like the massager. Think she likes the short side best. The brush works well and gives her coat a much finer groomed look than her old brush did. The bristles are soft and it does collect hair. Toy brand is Skinneeez and brushes are Safari.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
Feel free to create reviews for them here.  If the specific item you got isn't in the list, we can add them.  

The massager looks neat!  I have not tried that type of brush on my cats--they might like that.  Thanks for posting.  

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did not see this brush or massager on the review list. Brush is Safari W405 and massager is Safari W420. Xena really likes both of them. If she is awake, she wants brushed.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No need to apologize betsygee. It has been nearly 15 months since my Boney Girl went to heaven, and recently I have returned to being my old self. Spring finds me a little busy as I'm sure you and others are too.

Xena is liking the massager. It was cocobutterfly who made me aware of such a tool in the first reply to my question. Xena likes the short side of the massager best. She also likes the long side, but I have to make sure not to press too hard. She has a few sensitive areas and that is why I steered away from wire bristles. We use it 2-4 times a day and she tries to use it herself. Thanks for the review links---headed there now.