Which breed is my cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kelloggsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
More pics: side shot after being combed. We got her from a foster home and only would like to know which breed she resembles the most :blush:
cat3.png

amullins17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Created an account to reply to this!! I never knew what a Maine coon was until my dad started saying our rescue cat looked like one. If he was right, the your cat has a LOT of Maine coon in her. Her ruff and overall hair is a big part of it. Beware: She will get very large!

Does she fetch? How old is she?

Kelloggsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Created an account to reply to this!! I never knew what a Maine coon was until my dad started saying our rescue cat looked like one. If he was right, the your cat has a LOT of Maine coon in her. Her ruff and overall hair is a big part of it. Beware: She will get very large!

Yes she fetches and brings the toy back 😂
Now she’s about 1.5 yo, I have a before/after pic below 😆
A89AD0B2-DA99-43A2-8592-5857D125F496.jpeg

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not seeing Maine Coon features in her, maybe closer to a Siberian look-alike. Those are both breed developed from a naturally occuring cat. She's more likely to have a common ancestor than she is to actually have any of the breed in her.

Beautiful Domestic Longhair kitty. What is her name?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is gorgeous 😻and most probably had some forest cat ancestry but would be called dlh brown tabby tux. I would say her face is sort of a mix of the 3 type of fc but more like Siberian or nfc but maybe not round enough for Siberian of triangular enough for nfc prolly but there are variations in what they look like in a breed as well.

I will try to do a collage later to compare her. I follow someone whose pb nfc kitty has a fb page, an actual wegie from norway, and her face is not as sloped in the way some nfc are and have seen many others like that as well. She is such a sweet cat, I love seeing her run around in the snow- she lives on a farm, it reminds me of the times I used to spend with my Sybil snowgoddess.

Last edited:

Kelloggsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not seeing Maine Coon features in her, maybe closer to a Siberian look-alike. Those are both breed developed from a naturally occuring cat. She's more likely to have a common ancestor than she is to actually have any of the breed in her.

Beautiful Domestic Longhair kitty. What is her name?
Rose is her foster given name, we call her baby, but looking at her size now, definitely not a baby 😂

Kelloggsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is gorgeous 😻and most probably had some forest cat ancestry but would be called dlh brown tabby tux. I would say her face is sort of a mix of the 3 type of fc but more like Siberian or nfc but maybe not round enough for Siberian of triangular enough for nfc prolly but there are variations in what they look like in a breed as well.

I will try to do a collage later to compare her. I follow someone whose pb nfc kitty has a fb page, an actual wegie from norway, and her face is not as sloped in the way some nfc are and have seen many others like that as well. She is such a sweet cat, I love seeing her run around in the snow- she lives on a farm, it reminds me of the times I used to spend with my Sybil snowgoddess.
Oh wow thank you, that’s such a detailed observation. I will post her photos as she grows. Was Sybil a NFC?:redheartpump:

Kelloggsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
She is beautiful 🌸
I am not seeing Maine Coon in her features but she does look a large cat. What does she weigh?
Haven’t actually weigh her but will try to some time soon. She went from little to chonk in such a short time :crackup:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very pretty domestic, the vast majority of cats (over 95%) are not pedigrees or mixes. She doesn’t have the features of a Maine Coon, Siberian or Norwegian Forest Cat.

Of course there’s nothing wrong with just being a moggy either, they come in all sizes and personalities.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow thank you, that’s such a detailed observation. I will post her photos as she grows. Was Sybil a NFC?:redheartpump:
She was part NFC a mix although some said her face looked rounder like a Siberian as well. She had very long guard hairs and shed a lot in spring like nfc. But several dvm and mc owners thought she was mc as well 😹 She was polydactyl on her front paws. FC have a way about them, like no others, they fly around and can jump up high like helicopters, so gracefully. They have very long hind legs. I think Zena is very similar to Sybil in many ways. He was looking at this painting / tapestry the other night like something was there and I was worried he was going to jump up and or climb it 😹

Kelloggsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was part NFC a mix although some said her face looked rounder like a Siberian as well. She had very long guard hairs and shed a lot in spring like nfc. But several dvm and mc owners thought she was mc as well 😹 She was polydactyl on her front paws. FC have a way about them, like no others, they fly around and can jump up high like helicopters, so gracefully. They have very long hind legs. I think Zena is very similar to Sybil in many ways. He was looking at this painting / tapestry the other night like something was there and I was worried he was going to jump up and or climb it 😹
Do you have Sybil’s pic, and probably Zena too? I take it Zena is your current one?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Having a ruff and long hair does not a Maine Coon make. Those attributes are widely found in domestic long hair cats. She looks typically "moogie" to me in the body, head and ears shape.

To the OP: Domestic long hair brown tabby and white to me also. I do not see Maine Coon in her features - but she's gorgeous anyway!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have Sybil’s pic, and probably Zena too? I take it Zena is your current one?
Sybil is the gorgeous calico in my profile pic, taken from one day years ago when she and her sister Angie and I spent the day outside in the snow. Zena is a recent rescue, he is a dlh but reminds me of her a lot, actually he is kind of a mix of Sybil and My Wizard. All departed now.

Here is Zena, a perfect tux. I thought he was a girl when he showed up, but he turned out to be a boy 😹 first time I have been wrong about an outdoor cat’s gender.
5E183371-4473-46A0-BBF3-B201F26DF1C8.jpeg