Which Blue Buffalo is best for my cats?

lolarox86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats, a ragdoll which I recently adopted and a pixie bob that I have had for 2 years. The pixie bob is a bit obese right now. I have had her on Royal Canin her entire life, but I have switched her to Blue Buffalo Wilderness recently. Not the indoor kind though, is this food ok? Both are strictly indoor. I want my pixie to lose weight. Is this food ok for both?

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there
I love Pixie bobs! And Ragdolls. They are two of my favorite breeds. PLEASE post pictues!!!

Are they eating dry or wet food? Wet food is better all around for their health and is especially helpful for overweight cats. Dry food is full of carbs cats don't need and contibutes to obesity.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you feeding all dry food? And are you free feeding that dry food? If so, both of those can certainly lead to obesity in cats. Some cats do not have the ability to self-regulate, so they will eat too much if food is available. In addition, almost all dry foods are very high in carbs, which do not serve the nutritional needs of a cat, who is an obligate carnivore and must get its nutrition from animal based sources. Therefore, cats who are eating high carb food are consuming more calories than they can effectively utilize.

The best way to "diet" a cat is figuring out how many calories they need. Most indoor adult cats need about 20 calories per pound per day. If you want your kitty to lose weight, you want to gradually decrease the amount of calories he is consuming until he at his optimal weight. It would be much better to do this with wet food. There are many reasons why wet food is better for cats than dry. If you would like to learn more about why that is, please go to www.catinfo.org which is a great site written by a DVM on cat nutrition and health.

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do-you-have-a-full-body-picture-of-the-overweight-kitty?

Which,Blue-Wilderness-do-you-feed?

Do-you-free-feed,or-sched-feed?

How-much-do-you-feed,per-day?

I-feed-Blue-Wilderness-Chicken-dry,its-the-highest-one-in-fat-and-protein.But-mine-are-show-cats,so-they-need-the-extra.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lolarox86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll take a photo today when I get home and upload it later. I got the salmon and rice wilderness. Sam was free-fed her entire life until a week ago when I decided it was time to put her on a feeding schedule. Now she is getting about a cup a day. she weights about 13lbs. 

Last edited:

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll take a photo today when I get home and upload it later. I got the salmon and rice wilderness. Sam was free-fed her entire life until a week ago when I decided it was time to put her on a feeding schedule. Now she is getting about a cup a day. she weights about 13lbs. 
Hi and Welcome to TCS! 

Obviously, you care a great deal about your Kitties! 

While it is better to add some wet food to their diet for health reasons,

it is entirely possible that they will lose weight just based on the switch to Blue Buffalo Wilderness,

as it is almost certainly higher in protein and has lower carbs than the Royal Canin.

By the way, I would avoid the "Weight Control" chicken, as it is actually the lowest protein among BB Wilderness.

I like the Duck recipe the best, followed by the Chicken (Blue Bag.)

Both of these have 40% protein and 18% fat, which is closer to a Kitty's natural diet.

Additionally, I would recommend saving the Salmon for 1 or 2 meals per week.

It has been shown that too much fish can contribute to Urinary Tract issues and possibly Kidney problems if I remember correctly.

Also, there is concern that fish can contain mercury and other contaminants that could add up in Kitty's system over time.

mrsmcfadden

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I too use Blue Buffalo Wilderness duck formula. My cats seem to love it. I also have a ragdoll, well 2 actually. My older one tends to stay on the "stout" side bc she inhales wet food. Another topic though. Lol.

night wing

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My male cat likes Blue Buffalo and Nature's Variety dry kibble.

When it comes to the Blue Buffalo, he likes the Wilderness brand. The Chicken and the Duck flavors are his favorites. The Chicken and Duck both have 40% protein, 18% fat and 3.5% fiber.

He weighs in at 11 1/2 pounds and since he's almost 16 years old (June 13th), he sleeps much more now during the daytime. Inbetween his "naps", he always drinks lots of water and then it's sleepy or play time depending on his mood. To make sure he doesn't over eat and put on too much excess weight, he gets 1/3 cup total a day.

I feed him at 8am and 5pm every day. One half of a third cup in the morning and the remaining one half of a third cup in the evening. He never gobbles it all down at one sitting either. The morning's portion is usually all gone by 11am and the evening's portion is usually all gone by 8pm.

Sometimes at 10pm he'll ask for a "snack" which I will give him, but then again, it depends on his mood because on other evenings, he won't ask for a snack.

chloe16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1 cup for a 13lb cat is way to much. My 12.6lb cat is currently getting 1/2 cup daily divided into 2 servings. He is not losing weight on that so I need to decrease it a bit