Where'd She Get These Ear Tufts From?

cardammon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I took in a stray a month ago and she turned out to be pregnant.... Hoping to say that the kittens are (at least vaguely) related to some breed to help them find homes.

Here's the future mom. She's tiny (3 kilos), has black ear tufts and tufts between her toes. VERY soft fur, and a long bushy tail with a black tip. Also has a very interesting sandy/reddish coloration. She doesn't look like any breed that i know of, but those ears had to have come from somehere?

(belly shaven after the ultrasound)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Perhaps aomewhat look alike to a Somali.

May even be for rral of pet quality.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Real :).

Sorry Im on Iphone difficult to make corrections.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cardammon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
also the longer hairs on her back and tail are "ticked" i guess? i don't know if this is at all rare but somethinmes the're half white half black, and some have a couple white stripte across th
Real :).

Sorry Im on Iphone difficult to make corrections.
Oh wow! I'd be surprised haha)) She does have ticked fur though, at least on the longer hairs on her back and tail. (hairs are either half white half black or have white stripes across them). I have no idea if that's at all rare, just something i stumbled on when reading about Somalis.

cardammon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oops my browser is glitchy right now and typed the message twice... sorry about that...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thinking twice I think I shall reduce my first "perhaps somewhat look alike".

I think she is a decent look alike to a Somali.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This said after looking more closely on the pics. What you write on your readings does confirm.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im not that great expert pn somalis. Also what is typical for a purebred may differ in a pet quality and even more in a mix.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She appears to be a brown torbie and white domestic longhair, pattern is broken mackerel tabby.

She has a superficial resemblance to a Somali because the red in the torbie makes her look very "rufoused" and foxy. But if you look closely, it is a torbie pattern which is sex-linked red, not Aby rufousing. She does NOT have the ticked tabby pattern which is the characteristic pattern of Abyssinians and Somalis; she has stripes and spots. Note that all tabbies have ticked fur between the spots/stripes.

There might be some Maine Coon contributing to the ear tufts, since that breed is selectively bred for particularly luxurious ear tufts. But ear tufts can also show up on other cats including shorthairs (I've seen some Chartreux with them!)

Last edited:

cardammon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She appears to be a brown torbie and white domestic longhair, pattern is broken mackerel tabby.

She has a superficial resemblance to a Somali because the red in the torbie makes her look very "rufoused" and foxy. But if you look closely, it is a torbie pattern which is sex-linked red, not Aby rufousing. She does NOT have the ticked tabby pattern which is the characteristic pattern of Abyssinians and Somalis; she has stripes and spots. Note that all tabbies have ticked fur between the spots/stripes.

There might be some Maine Coon contributing to the ear tufts, since that breed is selectively bred for particularly luxurious ear tufts. But ear tufts can also show up on other cats including shorthairs (I've seen some Chartreux with them!)
Okay, so after some googling i think i understand what that means; thank you for the detailed answer :)

It's crazy that ear tufts can just show up. Does that mean they are recessive?