Where to throw away cat litter?

justacatlover.ay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Owning three cat's, the amount of cat litter is too much to throw it into the trash bag with the other trash. Do you own that many cat's and still throw it away normally or what do you do? I saw the trashman last time trying to pick up my trashbag but it was extremly heavy. It is even too heavy to carry it out bymself. We have specific days to put out the trash and therefore aren't allowed to do it multiple times a week.
We also tried that cat litter that you can flush in the toilet but even after months, my cat's couldn't get used to it and the smell was bad too. We don't own a garden to compost it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just throw it out with my regular trash. The sanitation workers here don't even touch the pails any more. The trucks have a mechanism that picks the pails up and dumps them into the truck. Same with the recycling.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Owning three cat's, the amount of cat litter is too much to throw it into the trash bag with the other trash. Do you own that many cat's and still throw it away normally or what do you do? I saw the trashman last time trying to pick up my trashbag but it was extremly heavy. It is even too heavy to carry it out bymself. We have specific days to put out the trash and therefore aren't allowed to do it multiple times a week.
We also tried that cat litter that you can flush in the toilet but even after months, my cat's couldn't get used to it and the smell was bad too. We don't own a garden to compost it.
I have a dozen cats and use plastic bags (average one a day) and throw out in trash which is picked up once a week, I can put 2 bags in our (4) 30 gallon trash bags. Sometimes they can get heavy but I would never flush in toilet, could do damage to our cesspool even if it says it’s flushable. If trash seems too heavy I use an extra trash bag.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I use clumping grass litter which is much lighter. I scoop into a paper lunch bag, and when the bag is full, I put it in the trash. With three cats, I probably averaged 5-6 bags a week, but that was with two elder kitties with some kidney issues so their pee clumps were larger (and heavier). Now with two cats—one senior who pees 4-5 times a day—I have about three bags weekly. (Edit: Oops. Make that four. I just added one more full bag. :)) Not too bad with the grass litter.

It took awhile to convert them from clay to grass, but since I mixed the grass litter in gradually they were fine with it.

Waiting for tomorrow’s trash pickup: one week’s worth for two cats
image.jpg

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there ar reason you can't put out more than one bag on trash day? If you can, divide your litter between bags so that no one bag weighs more than 25 pounds.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the vegetable litter, which is much lighter. Two cats. Clumping litter.
The amount of litter that I dispose of weekly is very low, about 2 kg, which is absolutely manageable by anyone.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do the same as Tobermory Tobermory .

I use a compostable litter and bag it in brown bags. It gets sent off in my weekly compost that the city picks up.

I am currently using paper litter but have done this for years with nut shell litter, pine, wheat and corn litters. There are tons of options.

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats. I use a Litter Locker and Diaper Genie (or brand name equivalents) bag refills.

About once a week, I empty that much that has accumulated wrapped with the Genie bags into my regular trash. Haven't had an issue. The Genie bags control the odor.