Where To Find Lactated Ringer's For Ckd Cat

LBL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, all you lovely cat people. My boy kitty just got diagnosed with kidney disease about a month ago, during which time I've been reading like a madwoman and educating myself on my options for him. I finally overcame my needle-phobia and have begun giving him regular subcutaneous fluids at home, and now I'm looking for a cheap supplier of lactated Ringer's solution in the USA.

I see several places online mention being able to find cases of twelve at Walmart or Costco for around $25, but I've been to every pharmacist in town, and they all quote me closer to $150.

Is there a reputable, reliable source you guys use? I'm desperate here.

Thanks guys.

LBL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi yokitty.

I would encourage you to use this website for all things related to chronic kidney disease for kitties: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

I have just begun to do subQ fluids for my cat, Nathan. If you join Tanya's CKD group and pose your question, they will have lots of great suggestions of places with good prices. Also, many online cat product sites carry these. I have not purchased them yet, so cannot provide any specific places.

All the best,
LBL

Zandalee

CATastrophe
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, all you lovely cat people. My boy kitty just got diagnosed with kidney disease about a month ago, during which time I've been reading like a madwoman and educating myself on my options for him. I finally overcame my needle-phobia and have begun giving him regular subcutaneous fluids at home, and now I'm looking for a cheap supplier of lactated Ringer's solution in the USA.

I see several places online mention being able to find cases of twelve at Walmart or Costco for around $25, but I've been to every pharmacist in town, and they all quote me closer to $150.

Thanks guys.
yokitty
I have something that will help your kitty. I learned adding pink Himalayan sea salt to drinking water helps stop panic/anxiety attacks and has the exact 84 minerals our bodies need so that the cells utilize the water better. It worked for me so I started giving it to my cats. My cat Armand is dying from an enlarged heart and I had to give him subcutaneous fluid along with Lasix as fluid building up around heart is a delicate balancing act. This was once a week, then every 2 days because cats normally just do not drink a lot of water. Since adding that to his water, this bag of Ringer's has not been touched for over 4 months. It is a miracle because I know how horrid that big needle is, and sticking it into a 17 yr. old cat who is skin and bone is torture for us both. Do not use a different sea salt as they do not contain the same minerals. My 3 cats all cannot wait to drink this if their favorite bowl runs out and Armand doesn't go hollow eyed, climb into the closet and face the wall, or refuse to eat anymore. He was diagnosed Jan this year and was given 6 months. Just add 5 or 6 heaping Tablespoons to a gallon of purified or distilled water, shake it well, and when water turns light pink then pour just a small dollop into pet's water. Taste it and if it tastes too salty, you've added too much so dilute with more water. It is fine if it tastes a little salty but you don't want it so salty they won't drink it. Three things I've learned are get small granules or ground so you don't have to wait a day for the large granules to dissolve, do not do that oversaturate the water that you will find on the net because I guarantee you will always put way too much in, you cannot overdose them or yourself because this is all pure whereas table salt is poison. I have had high blood pressure for years and was usually on a diuretic but my ankles would still swell. No more since adding the pink Himalayan sea salt to my water. It will help your kitty's kidneys I promise because it has helped mine. I am no longer having to go to the bathroom all night long and for the first time in my life I can drink coffee every day. I am doing salt pushing to remove bromide and so on which is around 2 teaspoons a day so I can assure you everything they have been telling us is a lie unless it concerns table salt. I got smallest grain salt off Amazon because all I could find in grocery stores was small amounts in large crystals. Please don't hesitate to contact me, let me know how he does, and forgive me for any errors in posting as am new at this. Oh yes, you can also buy a large container at Costco but I believe it's large crystals but you could grind it yourself.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

yokitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, all. Sorry for the long delay. I finally managed to talk the pharmacist at CVS down to about $50 a case. Not ideal, but cheaper by far than the vet. So that's good.

But on an even BETTER note, the vet retested him and his levels are almost completely normal! She was stunned, and said she had to doublecheck the numbers. I've lowered his sub-q fluids to every other day, and he's doing fine. He's my second miracle kidney boy!

Thank you guys! :clap:

Altur9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Thanks guys.

Altur9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Thanks guys.
I order Honky Tonk's LRS from a medical supply (Atlantic). It's around $110 a case of 24, yet I order "accessories" (the IV drip stuff and Terumo needles) enough to bring it up to $150 for free shipping. I order twice a year. HT was born with one small kidney and one minuscule one. I've been giving her sub-qs for 10 years. Only problem is the scar tissue makes it a tiny bit difficult now.

waverush

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I've stumbled on a glitch in the Matrix regarding
Lactated Ringers Inj USP 1 Liter Bags Braun Brand DEHP-Free Bags. I get them from thrivingpets . com, and they are normally $20 each. But when I went to reorder, they were listed at $12 each ($10 if you buy 12). The order was accepted, and I am still a tiny bit skeptical, but I wanted to pass along this information to those who may need it. I will update this post once they arrive and my bank is charged the expected amount.
It means a lot to have so many resources and support for our CKD cats. When there is any way I can contribute, I will eagerly do so!