Where To Apply Sunscreen?

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read you apply it on their nose and ears but.... should it be applied inside the tip of their ears or outside?
I also applied it on the nose above their nostrils (pic attached). Am I doing this correctly?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it has to be made for pets. Grey tabbies usually have black skin, so much less susceptible to sunburn/cancer. The only cat I used it on was white, with pink skin, and I applied it to his ears. Regular people sunscreen with zinc is poisonous to cats.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two pure white cats with pink skin - both love to sunbathe in the sunlight! One in particular gets little sunburns on his ears, poor baby. Considering the special risks to white kitties trying my best to balance out sun exposure and protecting them.

Anyhoo, I put the suncreen on top of the tips of the ears, not the inside. Where the sun usually hits directly. Wouldn't want the sunscreen to get deep inside their ear either. And a wee bit on their nose.

I assume you already have a cat friendly sunscreen, but for good measure there is a vet brand Aniwell | FiltaBac animal antibacterial sunblock | wound care OR you could use a sunscreen made for babies, depending on the make. Or whichever ones your vet recommends the most.

I would also recommend limiting sun exposure, especially if you live in a more southern locations or a hot country. Use curtains at certain times, keeping your kitties inside full time or provide lot's of shade options outside. The sun is strongest between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Provide plenty off fresh water. UV Film for windows if desired, especially if the kitty makes their way in between curtains and windows.

If you do live in Northern Climate and your kitty is darker furred and skinned (Granted I think I do see a little bit of pink there? So no wonder you want some cream on their too) I wouldn't worry about it too much, let them sunbathe a little more and enjoy the benefits of sunny vitamins in a sun limited environment.

As for the nose, it looks totally fine to me in terms of application :) although it doesn't have to be too thick! Remember two sunscreen only lasts about two hours.

I probably said a bunch of extra stuff that you know already - best of luck! Your cat is so cute!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two pure white cats with pink skin - both love to sunbathe in the sunlight! One in particular gets little sunburns on his ears, poor baby. Considering the special risks to white kitties trying my best to balance out sun exposure and protecting them.

Anyhoo, I put the suncreen on top of the tips of the ears, not the inside. Where the sun usually hits directly. Wouldn't want the sunscreen to get deep inside their ear either. And a wee bit on their nose.

I assume you already have a cat friendly sunscreen, but for good measure there is a vet brand Aniwell | FiltaBac animal antibacterial sunblock | wound care OR you could use a sunscreen made for babies, depending on the make. Or whichever ones your vet recommends the most.

I would also recommend limiting sun exposure, especially if you live in a more southern locations or a hot country. Use curtains at certain times, keeping your kitties inside full time or provide lot's of shade options outside. The sun is strongest between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Provide plenty off fresh water. UV Film for windows if desired, especially if the kitty makes their way in between curtains and windows.

If you do live in Northern Climate and your kitty is darker furred and skinned (Granted I think I do see a little bit of pink there? So no wonder you want some cream on their too) I wouldn't worry about it too much, let them sunbathe a little more and enjoy the benefits of sunny vitamins in a sun limited environment.

As for the nose, it looks totally fine to me in terms of application :) although it doesn't have to be too thick! Remember two sunscreen only lasts about two hours.

I probably said a bunch of extra stuff that you know already - best of luck! Your cat is so cute!
Thanks for the reply!
We live in Australia where UV is said to be harsher and our kitties love going out in the backyard, so just as a precaution I decided to apply sunscreen on them even tho their coat is dark.
We are using Dr Zoo's Zinc Free Natural Sun Cream. FiltaBac is also available here but contains Zinc oxide?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... We are using Dr Zoo's Zinc Free Natural Sun Cream. ...
I want to thank you for this info, I've never heard of this product!
I'm not sure they ship to the USA, but I will email and ask them.

---
-edit: I will have to ask them about their "hop extract" in the sunscreen, though -- that's a little concerning for me. Does anyone here have thoughts on that?
Natural Zinc-Free Sun Cream 120g - Dr. Zoo Pet Skin Products - Totally Lickable
is hops extract poisonous to cats? at DuckDuckGo

Last edited: