Where should my cat be sleeping?

Jdp123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi when we had a kitten back in August 2020 we put her in her travel crate to sleep in at night for a few days whilst she settled in (we have another cat and dogs for her to get used to). She settled in great and usually just sleeps and has a walk round at night. This year we had a new kitten we tried to do the same with her but if we leave her out most nights she spends all night keeping us up. She’ll run around all night and try to paw at our faces for attention. We’ve tried putting her in other rooms/parts of the house but she will meow constantly until shes let in as, unlike her sisters, she hates not being in the same room as us. We really wanted to a adopt a new cat this year to complete our family but we don’t know how to crack our youngest’s bedtime charade first! (Just to add she never scratches or meows when shes in the crate at night)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: This is a common problem that many people struggle with so if it helps a little you're not alone. I thought this TCS Article might have some helpful information for starters: How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan) – TheCatSite Articles
Good luck with completing your fur family this year, however, you may want to consider holding off temporarily until the new kitten acclimates to a bedtime routine. :crossfingers:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Am I to understand that she is calm and quiet in her crate at night? What happens if you have food/water/litter box nearby but place her in the crate at bedtime leaving the door open - so, in case she needs to use the litter box or eat/drink, she could? Would she stay in the crate otherwise and be calm/quiet? If not, you could still place her in the crate in your room at bedtime, but half way through the night get up and see if she wants to eat/drink/use the litter box and then place her back in the crate and close the door. It would mean some nights of interrupted sleep but might work over time so that she would consider the crate her bed that is near yours.