Where is she hiding the hair ties?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing that was not mentioned was to actually lift your furniture (couches, chairs, box springs etc...) and lay them on their sides and check that the material used to cover the bottoms are not ripped (the cover that hides the springs). I can't tell you how many times we've had things fall out of INSIDE the love seat because toys and elastics managed to get put in there. If she can fit under the couches and other furniture she may be getting inside them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pets do eat things for no apparent reason at all. Last year a local dog ate 20 baby pacifiers :eek3:

Hope your cat recovers well :vibes: Definitely a good time while your cat is at the vet's to turn the house upside down and look for any stray hair ties.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, wow. How scary, Sararainmaker Sararainmaker . Sending healing vibes for a speedy recovery. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Did the vet have any idea how long they might have been in her system?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
trash can solution - use a bucket. This is what we did. I put cup hooks on the bottom of a fairly high shelf and slipped the bucket's handle over the cup hooks. That way when the cats jumped for the bucket it swung back and forth and they couldn't get into it. Using a bucket means you will need to empty it more often, taking the trash out every night is just another habit to make.

Alternative trashcan, if you have room, get a large rubber maid or similar, sturdy with a locking lid, Lid should lock/snap shut on opposite sides of the can. This worked when we had several who spent hours trying to get in the trash.

I like the idea mentioned above of using tightly secured containers inside the drawer. You can use a glass jar, you probably already have one.

Cats can open drawers from the back, if they can get under them. They can reach inside them and fish the hair ties out.

The only other thing I can think of is to leave all hair ties in the car. Put them on when you get in the car, take them off before you come in the house. You can get a long hair clip to fasten your hair up in the house, your SO might not care for it, but I suspect he could get used to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sararainmaker

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One thing that was not mentioned was to actually lift your furniture (couches, chairs, box springs etc...) and lay them on their sides and check that the material used to cover the bottoms are not ripped (the cover that hides the springs). I can't tell you how many times we've had things fall out of INSIDE the love seat because toys and elastics managed to get put in there. If she can fit under the couches and other furniture she may be getting inside them.
I checked under what I could. Our couch is a fold-out, and our bed is a sleep number, so no places to hide under either of those. :)

Sararainmaker

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hope your cat recovers well :vibes: Definitely a good time while your cat is at the vet's to turn the house upside down and look for any stray hair ties.
I did that and cleaned,( MAN I had no idea that the stove looked like that underneath!) most of yesterday, though I did take a break to go visit her in the hospital. When the hubby got home he joined in as well.

She is doing well, though she did have a slight hitch in her recovery after I left, she might have been off her pain meds enough to start feeling the pain, and had a little bit of a fever, though it went away fairly quickly. She's still there at the moment, but if all goes according to plan we should be able to pick her up by 9pm tonight.

Sararainmaker

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, wow. How scary, Sararainmaker Sararainmaker . Sending healing vibes for a speedy recovery. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Did the vet have any idea how long they might have been in her system?
Thank You! It's killing me, but I am refraining from visiting her today, since when I went yesterday it effected her recovery a little.

The hair ties were in various stages of decay. She's 11 months old and has been here with us for 8 of those months, it's pretty likely she's been eating them the entire time and the only reason we even found out about it is because one of them tried to pass, but was still attached by some hair to the ones in her stomach, making her sick.

Sararainmaker

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only other thing I can think of is to leave all hair ties in the car. Put them on when you get in the car, take them off before you come in the house. You can get a long hair clip to fasten your hair up in the house, your SO might not care for it, but I suspect he could get used to it.
Luckilly she is unable to get into the drawers we store them in, as they are flush against the cabinet and attached to the wall. They also have a bit of resistance, just enough that she can't get the leverage to open them with the tiny knobs. My SO has been a wreck, I'm pretty sure he's be willing to try anything at this point to prevent her from getting sick. At this point we have decided to use the carabiner clips in the drawer to hold all the hair ties, no sleeping in hair ties anymore for him (I have been trying to stop him from doing this for years anyway, as they damage his hair) and we will be using the kitchen trash to throw away any hair-ties, as it's too tall for her to get in to with a recessed lid that she can't open. We are both fairly satisfied that we looked everywhere for any stashes, especially with all the ideas we got on here as well.

I really appreciate everyone's ideas and help. ♥

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sending more healing vibes for your girl. :vibes::vibes::vibes:
Hope she can come home soon. Keep us updated. :hearthrob:

Sararainmaker

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sending more healing vibes for your girl. :vibes::vibes::vibes:
Hope she can come home soon. Keep us updated. :hearthrob:
Kaylee is home now, though she's still pretty out of it. She wasn't eating at the vets, but has eaten a little bit since she got home. She's constantly getting out of her e-collar, even when I tie it like a harness, so we have been keeping an even closer eye on her. I was hoping the vet would approve a recovery suit, but she would prefer that the incision site get air, so no sleep for me! lol.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope things settled down a bit, and that you and Kaylee got some sleep. :hugs:

Sararainmaker

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope things settled down a bit, and that you and Kaylee got some sleep. :hugs:
Settled down, no, quite the opposite! :D It took a little bit longer than I'd hoped but she's starting to get back to herself with more sustainable energy. It seems the majority of her pain is gone, which of course enters in the second, longer part of her recovery... trying to make sure she doesn't run or jump or play around too violentsly while she is healing. lol. Easier said than done on an 11-month old tortie. :D

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you, if you haven't already, set up a small room for her, with lots of pillows and chairs to try and help with shorter jumping distances?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess it's good that she's feeling well enough to jump and play. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for her. :crossfingers::hearthrob::catlove:

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank You! It's killing me, but I am refraining from visiting her today, since when I went yesterday it effected her recovery a little.

The hair ties were in various stages of decay. She's 11 months old and has been here with us for 8 of those months, it's pretty likely she's been eating them the entire time and the only reason we even found out about it is because one of them tried to pass, but was still attached by some hair to the ones in her stomach, making her sick.
My cat LOVES hair ties and will play with them wash them in his water bowl and will bring to me( announcing all the way) he has a treasure!! My bedroom is purple and he generally only bring purple one's. It's the same with bows ( for presents) the same drill. What's this about???

Sararainmaker

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you, if you haven't already, set up a small room for her, with lots of pillows and chairs to try and help with shorter jumping distances?
We closed off the office for her. It's the initial room we had her in when we brought her home as a kitten, and the room she feels most comfortable in. I have been sleeping on the floor in here and keeping an eye on her. :)