Where does your cat like to curl up during the day?!

allypuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyones cat actually sleep in the beds you bought them. We bought 3 beds, made another one and bought a cat tree with built in hideout bed. My kittens sleep in none of them very often. They seem to love to just sleep on the floor, on the dining table and even on the side of the bath! They will also curl up in my lap if I am lucky.

Where is everyone cats fav spots and do your cats rotate sleeping spots at all?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cats tend to rotate spots. They do use their cat specific beds/furniture probably 30% of the time. Right this moment even I have 1 out of the 3 sleeping on the cat specific furniture even in the bed portion:

20200802_110127.jpg

20200802_091926.jpg

Screenshot_20200802-110507_Photos.jpg

And don't ask my why Rocket is face planted into the floor. She was sound asleep on my lap, I shifted slightly and she basically slid onto the ground and fell back asleep. I wouldn't even call is woke up and moved because it was so low effort.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo sleeps in his cat trees, one armchair, or the basement. Lily likes my lap, and if I stay up past her bedtime, she will sleep in her cat bed. She likes it very well. They both will sleep on the back of the couch cushion.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby sleeps where ever she wants! She finds a spot and sticks with it for awhile, but then moves on to something else. Gave up on cat beds for her a long time ago. The best we can do is (mostly by accident) leave a box on the floor and that will be her new snoozing spot for a few days-weeks. Since my husband has been working from home, she lays on his papers on the floor. He accidentally dropped some early on and she hightailed it over to them to lay on - now, everyday he is home, she goes to him and waits for him to put some more papers on the floor.

Her most recent outdoor sleeping spot is on top of an end table, and she uses a coaster for her pillow!!
20200727_105442.jpg

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the cat bed to hold their toys-otherwise, it'd be empty :rolleyes2:

Other than that, they'll sleep anywhere they can fit. Currently, Charlie is sleeping under the window, and Selene is curled up on top of the kitchen cabinets.

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Depends on time of day. Mornings, Tuff prefers the recliner in the office. Afternoons, my tummy when I nap. Nighttime, soft rug beside my bed. A regular cat bed would just be a waste of money.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the most part, they prefer to sleep in the room where I am and will change their nap location as I move around the house. They have a cat tree and several places provided with a soft blanket on which to sleep. Failing that, they will sleep on the windowsills or the beds. They won't use any commercially-available cat beds, though.

One likes to sleep on me, but is particular about how I sit and what I wear. He insists I recline on my left side only so he can sit on my legs and wants me to wear jeans. No shorts, although a blanket is satisfactory. Of course, I indulge him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allypuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the most part, they prefer to sleep in the room where I am and will change their nap location as I move around the house. They have a cat tree and several places provided with a soft blanket on which to sleep. Failing that, they will sleep on the windowsills or the beds. They won't use any commercially-available cat beds, though.

One likes to sleep on me, but is particular about how I sit and what I wear. He insists I recline on my left side only so he can sit on my legs and wants me to wear jeans. No shorts, although a blanket is satisfactory. Of course, I indulge him.
I have noticed that my little kittys seem to favour jeans and dislike shorts for curling up in my lap.

It's great reading all these posts and seeing the different way in which our cats like to snooze. As mine our young they do like to sleep in any new area they have discovered. I suspect their chosen sleeping places will evolve over time. I don't mind if they use the bought beds or not, they have been offered comfortable places to rest but it is totally up to them to define what their comfort is.

Loving all the pics too!

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Neko-chan sleeps on the couch, the top of her cat tree, or the kitchen rug by day. At night she sleeps next to me in bed or on the nightstand. The cozy little caves bed we got her never got used.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Grischy's favourite place is the top bed on our fluffy white cat tree or the cat cushion bed in front of the radiator (both in my room). He also loves the futon in mum's room.

Shanti's favourite place is wherever I happen to be.

Mala's favourite spot is the Polypad (thick horse saddlepad) on the ledge over my bed.

Shenka loves mum's futon too. He also loves the floor of her office (a real suntrap), and the sofas downstairs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allypuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So are people finding in general that most their cats are not so keen on overly plushie bedding, and that a firmer bedding is preferred?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So are people finding in general that most their cats are not so keen on overly plushie bedding, and that a firmer bedding is preferred?
My guys do like their cat beds/cat tree beds a lot. But they love human furniture too, and the dog's beds. They're more often somewhere soft and squishy than on a harder surface. They do love their cardboard cat beds as well, though. But all cats are different. And don't expect a new bed to get used straight away. It can take a little time for them to see the appeal.

If you do end up buying some special cat beds, a spritz of catnip or valerian spray can work wonders in attracting them over to start with :wink: My guys all go nuts for anything like sherpa fleece too, so that may be a good style of surface to look out for.

VoidIndigo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Depends if I'm bugging him... mostly in his window, but SOMETIMES in the nifty cat shelf I bought. Thus far, never in the climbing tree. But he really seems to like the sleeping bag... not sure whether it's the smoothness or the coolness... but that's a very common spot :)

20200708_164813.jpg
20200716_161631.jpg
20200803_171318.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Where is everyone cats fav spots and do your cats rotate sleeping spots at all?
Definitely rotate spots in winter and summer, i.e. downstairs is cooler in summer and upstairs is warmer in winter. We've always had at least one or two cat beds but they usually prefer our bed or the carpet. One cat preferred the dog's bed. :biggrin:

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My babies both use their furniture and live their cat beds. They each have their own and rarely use each other's. My girl will sleep there or on other cat furniture (tree, hammocks, covered beds) most of the time. My boy will sleep in his covered or open bed maybe half of the time, and on the carpet the other half.

They look adorable when both in their cat beds 😍

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat tree by the sliding glass door. Gracie takes the highest perch and Boone will either force himself up there with her or give up and sleep on the next perch down.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Jasper and Sammy both like to sleep on the very top of the cat tree. If they aren't there, Jasper can be found on one of the kitchen chairs. Sammy can usually be found on the back of the couch. Sometimes Jasper will sleep on the floor, near the cat tree. I have a theory that this is because he wants to be close to either me or Mia.

Mia usually sleeps either on the floor just in the corner which is next to where I sit at my desk. Sometimes (usually during the day when the window is open) she'll sleep on the cat box enclosure, which we have a bed put on top of. Other times she likes to curl up in my yarn, a habit I'm trying to break her of, honestly.

Isabel drifts. She kind of just... sleeps anywhere she wants LOL She changes locations daily.

When I'M asleep though, both Mia and Sam seem to love sleeping on the couch with me.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cat beds are pretty useless IMO. A cat is going to sleep wherever he or she pleases. A laundry basket, a box, the top of the non-flat screen tv, a sink, stretched out in the middle of a doorway which means you have to constantly step over the cat, etc.

My cats have different sleeping spots during the day. They move around to different spots, too. When I leave for work, the cats are usually on the floor or maybe Leroy is in a box. When I get home, Emma's either on the cat tree or sofa while Leroy might be in the bath tub.