Where Do You Buy Your Cat Supplies?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Running a rescue I am CONSTANTLY browsing the internet for deals on cat food, litter, cat furniture, scratchers, toys, etc.
I am curious where everyone shops (online or at a store) for their cat stuff and where they find the best deals?
I have found that generally Amazon and Chewy stay around the same price... usually when one has a sale on a specific food the other follows.
We go through hundreds of pounds of litter and food a month (not kidding), and we are a small group.
We buy lots of scratchers and have to replace them every couple of months because they are well used lol
Thanks for your input!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I shop at a locally-owned farm supply store for all of Charlie's supplies (except food which I get at the vet's). That store has great selection, and prices are consistently cheaper than at petsmart.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I contacted Oil Dri (makers of several brands of cat litter) with questions about their products when I was buyiung show supplies for our club. The representative that answered told me they have a program for donating bags of litter to shelters, rescues etc. He didn't give me the details since I obviously didn't qualify, but it might be worth your while to email them.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy my cat food at Walmart, strictly because they are the cheapest. 48 cents versus 69 at the grocery stores for the same brand. Amazon for toys and treats, PetMeds and Foster and Smiths for wormers, antibiotic eye ointments, and once in awhile good deals on scratchers, etc, (Foster and Smiths).I usually buy those cardboard scratchers for 9.99 at Walmart, they are absolutely the best loved by my cats. They shred them clear to the bottom, even after turning them over for longer wear time.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have much in the way of storage room? Have you contacted producers? We're a small shelter (10 cat rooms, 2 nursery rooms, 3 dog kennels, a small animal room, plus a large feral enclosure) and buy cat litter, dry cat food, and some high-quality canned cat food direct from the producers a couple of times a year. One supermarket-quality canned food producer donates several cases of their food every couple of months. Otherwise we look for sales at brick-and-mortar and online pet stores. The former will contact us if they're clearing stock.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have a Tractor Supply Company near you? Their litter is about the cheapest I've found and works really well.
I get my dry cat food from chewy.com, delivered on a regular schedule. There's is a discount for subscriptions and free shipping over a certain $ amount. The cats love the cardboard shipping boxes and packing paper. No need to buy expensive toys or scratchers.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get their food and litter from Walmart most of the time. Occasionally on Amazon if they are eating a flavor consistently enough. I get meds mostly though Foster & Smith but I can get the Denamarin through Amazon or Chewy. I might pick up a few toys to put me over the free shipping amount on Chewy too. Amazon I have prime for already so that helps.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy food and litter from Walmart, but most of the toys have come from either Amazon or Etsy.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will say that if it doesn't lock down your browser, it's worth installing Amazon Assistant while you're doing online shopping
Amazon Assistant
I've looked at different things on the internet and the web browser pops up with the item on amazon, in a bar across the top of the page. I've also just been doing whatever online and it pops up a side bar telling me that an item in my wish list is now on sale.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
out of the box idea...but you could start a youtube channel about your shelter and have a paypal donation link.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Running a rescue I am CONSTANTLY browsing the internet for deals on cat food, litter, cat furniture, scratchers, toys, etc.
I am curious where everyone shops (online or at a store) for their cat stuff and where they find the best deals?
I have found that generally Amazon and Chewy stay around the same price... usually when one has a sale on a specific food the other follows.
We go through hundreds of pounds of litter and food a month (not kidding), and we are a small group.
We buy lots of scratchers and have to replace them every couple of months because they are well used lol
Thanks for your input!
We've been very happy Drs. Foster & Smith customers since before the internet, and now, with the advent of online shopping, auto delivery and daily deals, we're happier than ever with them. The company was founded by two veterinarians, and they offer features the others don't. They have their own line of products, as well, and they're not limited to cats; they have full lines of products for most of the most popular companion animals. And of course they offer a full line of brands at various price ranges. Convenient delivery to your door with free shipping is something we don't know how we ever did without. We love them!

Taichibulldog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I buy my cat food at Walmart, strictly because they are the cheapest. 48 cents versus 69 at the grocery stores for the same brand. Amazon for toys and treats, PetMeds and Foster and Smiths for wormers, antibiotic eye ointments, and once in awhile good deals on scratchers, etc, (Foster and Smiths).I usually buy those cardboard scratchers for 9.99 at Walmart, they are absolutely the best loved by my cats. They shred them clear to the bottom, even after turning them over for longer wear time.
only catfood i have ever seen at wll mart in the can is ihms variety pack. not a fan of their company anymore though. however the rest of them all i saw walmart sell are crap unless u buy the refrigerated food. most all their dry cat food is crap too. ijs

Taichibulldog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i would get used carpets for free to make cat scratchers frankly. usually their will be multiple sources to keep you more than loaded. also many of the items that well known companies sell that are rated well on their site are actually misleading and as soon as you check elsewhere where far more people use that item you'll gasp and not want to buy them. it also goes for many trusted name brands too. do ur homework ahead of time.

you can also cost out mackeral, butchers and other human food sources for meat that are fairly cheap if bought in bulk. and if u have other area rescues yall can buy together in bulk to reduce costs. these can include dog rescues too, especially if run by folks who are not government connected.

Taichibulldog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FYI just found a cheap place for flea meds if anyone is interested!
Cheap flea, tick treatments, heart & intestinal worming for dogs & cats
i just checked that link and though the prices may be better all of the product i saw have been known to have either serious adverse reactions of in some cases they don't work well. when i finally looked at the
ingredient in stronghold the one i didn't know turns out they use what's in the risky revolution. but list 1 of 3 possible varieties of it. it's listed as 15 mg (selamectin/selamktyna/selamektina) i just googled it to see what it was.

i'm interested in a safe flea killer/preventative. so far the only safe one is DE, none of the well known
flea meds are actually that safe. Yes, some folks use them with no issues, while others do not. some have used them before with nbo issues then later they had adverse reactions.

I DO PRETTY GOOD RESEARCH online and this has stumped me and that's not easy to do. other then cleaning and vacuuming all the so called safe natural products to buy in spray or drops either suck or are down right dangerous. i saw a flea not long ago a male. couldn't cat him. sent the dog downstairs and treated her with DE again, and rub some on the cat too. thankfully i don't have carpets.
I used a vac yesterday FOR MY MATTRESS PAD, DOG BED, and conch. plus washed the covers except for 1 that i can't take off because the zipper is broke. grrr. now about to order safeguard to give the cat cause i think she has worms though i don't see them in her stool. i do see some blood occasional at the end of her stool. she's been eating DE in her food for over a week now.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pellets for litter Pinnacle Pellets no Odors, little tracking if any, does not to stick to paws then ingested.
20.00 for 40 lbs at pet stores buying brand below is 6.00 or under for 40lbs (canada) Purchase at fireplace pellet shops specify needing safe for pets.
Or any farm animal feed store Buckerfields and sometimes Home Depot carries other brands.

pellets pine pet comfort - Google Search:

Left with just fine sawdust to dispose of :catrub: *For DIY scratchers Sisal rope holds up better than carpet easy to repair replace, twine, rope must be chemical free not pre- treated with any oils etc.

Last edited:

Evie's Mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I buy 90% of their stuff at Petsmart and PetValu.
Buying cat food online when you live in Canada sucks. Its either way overpriced or websites don't ship here at all.
I get their litter and Puresnacks at Wal-Mart because its the cheapest there.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FYI just found a cheap place for flea meds if anyone is interested!
Cheap flea, tick treatments, heart & intestinal worming for dogs & cats
You say you have experience ordering from his website? Have you used the "Advocate", for $55.95? I notice that this product treats everything that Revolution or Advantage Multi treats for half the price and no prescription needed? Please advise as to whether you have experience with that particular product and, am I missing something? This sounds too good to be true!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your input!
Just FYI, there's a huge sale on a lot of great cat products over at Drs. Foster & Smith. Here is the Link:
Discount Cat Supplies | DrsFosterSmith.com Sale Center