Where do I go from here?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You need to wait for the FNA results - BUT you might call them and ask about using the tissue they collected to further test for lymphoma via a PARR assay - it is more accurate, and there still should be time to ask for it. It isn't cheap, just so you know.
EDIT: The PARR can follow up any FNA that shows 'suspicious' cells.

Feeby had an FNA done on some enlarged intestinal lymph nodes in December, but no PARR was done, and it came back inconclusive. She went through another ultrasound and FNA in June, but this time with a PARR test, and was diagnosed with small cell lymphoma (SCL) - the most common kind in cats.

SCL can be treated with a fair amount of success with Prednisolone and chemo (chlorambucil). It isn't a cure but can make a cat feel much better and lengthen their lives.

I don't know the reasoning behind what your vets are saying, so at least pose the question about this kind of treatment - and definitely ask about the PARR assay.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You need to wait for the FNA results - BUT you might call them and ask about using the tissue they collected to further test for lymphoma via a PARR assay - it is more accurate, and there still should be time to ask for it. It isn't cheap, just so you know.
EDIT: The PARR can follow up any FNA that shows 'suspicious' cells.

Feeby had an FNA done on some enlarged intestinal lymph nodes in December, but no PARR was done, and it came back inconclusive. She went through another ultrasound and FNA in June, but this time with a PARR test, and was diagnosed with small cell lymphoma (SCL) - the most common kind in cats.

SCL can be treated with a fair amount of success with Prednisolone and chemo (chlorambucil). It isn't a cure but can make a cat feel much better and lengthen their lives.

I don't know the reasoning behind what your vets are saying, so at least pose the question about this kind of treatment - and definitely ask about the PARR assay.
Thanks, I didn't know about the PARR. I think we can be pretty certain that if it is indeed lymphoma, it probably is LCL due to the rapid onset of symptoms. I wish it weren't so but it seems likely.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The PARR would definitely denote the difference between small and large cell - if a determination cannot be made by the FNA itself. The key is to have the tissue retained, if need be, for a PARR. Sudden onset doesn't have to mean large, but I can understand why that thought process might be within reason.

Keep us posted.

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The PARR would definitely denote the difference between small and large cell - if a determination cannot be made by the FNA itself. The key is to have the tissue retained, if need be, for a PARR. Sudden onset doesn't have to mean large, but I can understand why that thought process might be within reason.

Keep us posted.
That's good to know! I'll see if they'll do the PARR.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did they indicate that waiting until the test results come back would cause him undo suffering? I don't know if probable LCL is painful or not, but did they offer any pain meds in case that's what it is, to get you through until the results come back? I would want to get the results before making any decisions, that way you won't be second guessing yourself later.

Not sure if a second opinion would be worth it since you already have two vets looking at this, but of course, that's always an option. Sometimes a completely new set of eyes if a good thing. If you do go that route, you should go to an entirely different animal clinic though, because often Vets within the same clinic discuss their cases, so all the Vets at your current practice may already be thinking the same thing.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did they indicate that waiting until the test results come back would cause him undo suffering? I don't know if probable LCL is painful or not, but did they offer any pain meds in case that's what it is, to get you through until the results come back? I would want to get the results before making any decisions, that way you won't be second guessing yourself later.

Not sure if a second opinion would be worth it since you already have two vets looking at this, but of course, that's always an option. Sometimes a completely new set of eyes if a good thing. If you do go that route, you should go to an entirely different animal clinic though, because often Vets within the same clinic discuss their cases, so all the Vets at your current practice may already be thinking the same thing.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:
All the info I've gotten today is now a big jumble in my brain so I may not be remembering things correctly. That said, from what I do remember, his first phone call was basically this is the end, he's too sick for treatment, and I don't he would have blinked an eye if I would have said go ahead and put him down. However, he did offer the FNA if I wanted it, so I accepted just because at that point I didn't know what to do. I don't want him to suffer but I think it would be nice to know, yet they are so certain in their diagnosis.

He never mentioned pain meds, I didn't even know that would be an option to help him while I wait for results. He did give a shot of cerenia and a steroid. Now I'm wondering if I should ask for the pain meds?

I am going to get a second opinion with an oncologist (separate clinic) on Monday. They are super nice and are going to do it by phone so I don't have to bring him in. They offered to look over all his information and give us options, so I will probably do that.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Now I'm wondering if I should ask for the pain meds?

I am going to get a second opinion with an oncologist (separate clinic) on Monday. They are super nice and are going to do it by phone so I don't have to bring him in. They offered to look over all his information and give us options, so I will probably do that.
Cant' hurt just to call them and asks if they think he might need them to get him through until the oncology meeting.

Yes, having a meeting with an oncologist is a good idea. What can it hurt? That way you will have all your options on the table.