Where Did Your Cats Come From?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found this thread, but how crazy that you are located super close to me! I am in Morgantown, WV! We rescue cats so our cats come from all over... we have climbed under trailers, pulled from shelters in the southern part of the state, and had owner surrenders. My two personal cats- one came from a kill shelter in Martinsburg WV and the other one came from a feral colony of cats that we were helping with.

midnightsun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine was from someone I found on the internet who was selling a litter of kittens. Not a breeder, I assume the mother got pregnant by accident.

Mashkasheli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Tricky was a stay at a hospital in the grounds and patients were feeding him here and there. I was hospitalized there for a while and took him home. Hope arrived at my doorstep one day and never left. She was pregnant and sick and in a bad way. Sheleg who passed 3 weeks ago also arrived at my doorstep one day. And just never left. Until 3 weeks ago unfortunately. :-(

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in England, and my two kittens came from a colony in a town called Deptford in the London suburbs. There were about 60 other cats living with them in an abandoned building, and an elderly lady was feeding them all (the shelter where I got my two from are still rescuing cats and kittens from the location), however she sadly passed away, which is how my kittens came to the rescue shelter I got them from, and eventually to me!

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got my cat Rory from my dad's friend. A pregnant stray cat wondered into his garage and had kittens. When I was told about the kittens I went to see them. I remember they were all so small. I picked Rory up first and never put her down. She was mine the second I saw her. Everyone tried to get me to pick a different cat because my dad's friend said 'that one is trouble.' but I didn't care she was mine. She was only five weeks old, and I would have left her there until she was a bit older but she was shivering from the cold, and covered in fleas and I just couldn't leave her there. She was so tiny.

With Charlie, we had bunch of our family over. We were having a bonfire and my cousin could hear something crying. We all started looking and found Charlie stuck up in the tree. We managed to use a ladder to climb up and get him down. He was only about 5 months old at the time. He was so friendly and he didn't have fleas we are sure that he had owners. We put signs up and ads on websites but no one ever came forward. After a few weeks had passed we had already fallen in love with him decided to keep him. Our vet said he looked similar to the cats that a cat hoarder in the area has. Since Charlie's arrival two other kittens have also shown up from the same hoarder. We were able to get those kittens homes.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
1. My first cat came from a litter of kittens from a barn cat. All the other kittens died or got eaten I think, I picked him out and took him home.
2. Second cat came from a newspaper ad (random cat had kittens I assume)
3. Third cat came from a newspaper ad- Poor old guy rescued a bunch of cats and one had kittens. He was trying to find them good homes. She ended up being my mom's cat Little Kitty.
4. Fourth cat came from a Facebook ad- Met a stranger at a gas station to pick her up- person's cat got pregnant while wandering outside I think.
5. Fifth cat I got from a lady who was sick and could no longer care for him (Facebook ad). We also met at a gas station and I picked him up.

miaomiao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both of my current cats came from shelters.

The older one had been relinquished to the shelter when her owner died. She had come from a household with two cats, her and her littermate, who I didn't adopt as I couldn't take care of two cats at the time. That day, I had picked out a few cats to meet at the shelter, and she was the first one I brought into the room; within maybe ten minutes, she jumped up on my lap, and that was that. It took her just a day to get out from under the bed after I brought her home, and since then she has shown herself to be an exemplary pet - she loves people, does not hiss (at humans, at least), and has never had any potty issues.

I adopted the new cat just ten days ago, so I'm still trying to get to know her. She was picked up as a stray, and had been at the shelter just two days when I saw her on PetHarbor. I'd been looking for cats for a while without any luck so, not wanting her to slip away like a few others I had my eye on, I immediately zoomed across town to the shelter and adopted her on the spot. She's unusually shy and skittish, and has been having some issues with pooping outside of the litter box, but all in all she's been a great cat.

My very first pet cat, who's almost certainly passed by now, was a gift from my parents from way back in the 90s. Unfortunately, they bought her from a pet store instead of adopting from a shelter. She was with my family for maybe three or four years before my parents gave her away due to my allergies. (I still have an allergy to cats, but it's a pretty mild case.)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My meezer babydoll owner-of-my-heart when I was a kid, was born as a purebred in our house that we decided to keep. What an incredible character he was. Two that I was not able to get home with me due to apt mgmnt at that time, was another utter sweetheart of a meezer and a darling munchkin. I still miss them as well, even though I only knew each one for about 15 minutes. A lovely old (they thought 11 or so) lady Maine Coon mix turned my dog loving partner into mush when he saw her on the shelters website. She knew what she liked and laps were not part of her emotional equation. Today, my big guy, black and chocolate (a sign of crossbreeding I was told) and grey, is a very handsome mostly-Turkish Angora with genetics that really brought out the Persian in his lineage and blessed him (--not!) with that cottony type of belly fur that mats when you sneeze in the next room. He came from a lady who had a son with bad allergies, and she kept him with her rather than letting the shelter take him and put him in a cage. He is cram-packed with personality, owns the household and also is The Guardkitty, except for when a possible vet visit is in the air. I wanted a lap cat, and this one is taking up most of the recliner footrest as I'm typing.:loveeyes:

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
my Kittens were all walmart rescues. The area I..live in people don't spay or neuter their pets. So i have Jaspurr and Artie from one litter left. Then someone left Luna alone in a box at almost 4 weeks. then on my birthday this year we got Diana some lady was about to just drop her off outside and a coworker came and grabbed me. Then I caught Mr.Nubbs and Church from outside. From the same mother as Jaspur and Artie. We plan to get her spayed as soon as i can get a bigger cage i have a tiny one for kittens. Was only going to get Jaspur He was going to be my first kitten and i didnt know how my boyfriend would react to a surprise kitten i told him nothing. But they didnt want to be separated they were freaking out they were about 6 to 8 weeks. So I took them and am so happy I did I love them so much and Artie is so my big baby and he loves Diana so much that is his girl. He grooms her and cuddles her and makes sure shes okay.

Sagwah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I grew up with cats - Himis specifically. Mum loves them. So when I was able to get my own, I intended to get a Himi as well.

I heard the shelter had one, so I went to look. No Himi, but a wonderful sweet brown tabby boy, who I got to cherish for eighteen years. To go with him, I did get a Himi kitten from a local breeder. This was before I found out about the incidence of PKD in Persians and their outcrosses, and sadly my baby had it. It took two overnights at the vet and one miracle, but he did make it seven years.

I did better research with my second Himi, although I hadn't learned the term "doll faced" meant that they (as my mother says) had noses. So when I met the breeder and got to choose from her kittens, my first words were "They're Smooshed!" The flame point male I'd come to get wanted nothing to do with me, Gypsy ADORED me, snuggling immediately up to me, purring, and ended up coming home with me.

When her companion, my first cat, passed, I left Gypsy some time. I thought perhaps she would be okay as an only feline, but as time went on, I could tell that she really needed some same species companionship. I wasn't as thrilled as another cat would be to be awakened at 3AM with a catnip mouse. On my vet's advice, I contacted breeders about male kittens/young cats they had for sale. By this time the "smooshy face" had grown on me, and I knew I wanted another Persian. That was Percy.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thirteen, my almost three year old female tuxedo, was brought to me by one of my maintenance men only hours after she was born on Valentine's Day. I work in the apartment industry and she was found in the property's trash compacter, clinging to her dead siblings and trying to nurse from her dead mom. I always assumed the mother must have died giving birth.

I hadn't the slightest idea what to do with a kitten but the Universe had seen fit to instill one in my care so off to the vet I went. Other than showing me how to stimulate her so that she could urinate and defecate, the vet was not a lot of help. He didn't think she would make it through the night but she did. I raised her on goat's milk in a bottle and carried her around with me everywhere on a small dog bed with a heating pad, terrified that she would die. When she was six weeks old I walked out of my office one night with her in tow and there, on the roof of my car, was a cardboard box. Atticus, my male gray tabby was in that box. The vet estimated him to be about ten weeks old. Word had gotten out on my property that I'd saved a kitten, so someone who wanted to give little Atticus a fighting chance had boxed him up and left him on the roof of my car.

Once I got him in the car Atticus jumped out of the box and right into Thirteen's heated bed! She hissed at him once and then began licking him. He hissed at her once, swatted at her, looked her up and down and then laid down right next to her. Almost three years later they still sleep together in the same dog bed every night. It's been on my bed since the day Thirteen first came home with me.

:bicolorcat::tabbycat:

Last edited:

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gizmo and Stevie are both Michigan kitties, though from different cities/counties. I adopted Gizmo from the shelter in Ionia, MI and Stevie came from Greenville, MI after a coworker of my mother's became highly allergic and had to find new homes for her cats.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty was a stray/semi feral that was being fed by a friend of ours but she didn't want the commitment so wouldn't let her in the house. We adopted her and she was a bit wild, scratchy and bity for a while but she calmed down and is now very loving and cuddlesome.
I've wanted a Maine Coon for over twenty years but never got round to getting one until I saw Oliver advertised on a site called Preloved in the UK. He was ten yrs old and the previous owner was apparently going through a 'massive change of circumstances' so when I arrived at his house, it was love at first sight. I'm so glad I got the big boy, he's a delight to own.
Chubchub was also on the site and he's mostly if not all Siberian with no papers though. He's a sparky character and we have to be careful when petting him as he can suddenly bite mid pet. He's very beautiful as all three are.