Where did you get your cat's name?

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the name "Penny" from a song my sister usedto sing to me when I was really really little (like 3 or 4, she was 11 or so)

I got the name "Daisy" from TV

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mira's name was originally Mo. A friend of mine who happens to be an anime fanatic had dubbed her that because it apparently means "cute" in Japanese, but it didn't seem to fit even though I really liked the name itself. Another friend of mine suggested Mira; she was pregnant at the time and was considering the name for her own human baby, after the middle name of one of our mutual friends. That was perfect, unique just like she is, so it stuck.

Kipper's name came from the movie Napolean Dynamite, after the older brother Kip. Silly, I know, but years later it seems to fit better than any other name I could've come up with. Kipper is soooo much like his namesake it's insane.

Roxy was a fluke. I was trying to think of a name for her and happened to look over and see my favorite t-shirt which was made by the surf company Roxy. And there it was. I sometimes call her Roxanne though, and sing to her, "Roxanne, you don't have to put on the red light". (Yes, I sing to my cats. For Kipper, I changed the lyrics to the T-Pain song "I'm In Love With a Stripper" to "I'm In Love With a Kipper" lol.)

Klein was named after the German word that means "small" because he was the runt and half the size of his brothers Kipper and Gary when we got them.

Gary was named by my younger sister after the snail on Spongebob.

Kiki never really had a name. So when we called her, we'd just say "Here, kitty, kitty". Say kitty kitty enough times and it begins to sound like Kiki. Simple enough.

Callie (originally Chloe) is called that because she's a calico. Again, an obvious choice.

The feral that fathered Mira's kittens I had officially named Leo because he reminded me of a lion, he was orange and had a very muscular build. But when I just had him and Mira, I constantly referred to him as Mira's "boyfriend" and it caught on, so everyone just called him Boyfriend instead of Leo.

Missy (originally Furby) just came to me, as well as the names for Mira's kittens, Simon, Penny and Daisy.

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

I got the name "Penny" from a song my sister usedto sing to me when I was really really little (like 3 or 4, she was 11 or so)

I got the name "Daisy" from TV
Penny and Daisy...weird that I would post right after you!

dragulescugirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cute thread!

Chloe - She reminded me of my cat Charlie, but I thought Charlize and Charlen were too big for such a tiny thing, and Chloe was such a sweet fit.

Kinko - He would never do anything unless his sister did it first so one day I said "You're such a copy cat!" Thus Kinko from Kinko's Copies.

Harley - Completely named himself, his purrs were so loud. Found out later that's what the pet rescue named him as well.

Sasha - This was a hard name, we wanted something sweet and short like Chloe but my husband said no "E" sound ending (so Kinko wouldn't be the only cat without one). I said she looked a bit like Shamu, which became Sasha.

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Villy - was already called Villy when she came to live with me

Roxy - I posted a photo of her on her when she was a kitten and asked people to suggest names for her!
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=135078
The name really suited her, because she's slinky, she wiggles her butt when she walks so she's sexy like Roxy Haart from Chicago, also I like Roxy music and becasue she rocks - see! lol!

iheartstrays

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've always named my cats the first name that popped into my head when I looked at them.

Albert is my orange cat. It seemed like such a funny name for him when he found me as an 8 week old kitten, but now it fits him perfectly!

Cleo's mom looked like an Egyptian kitty; svelte, black and with green eyes. So, I called her Cleo, as an homage.

Charlie looked like a Charlie the second I met him. His foster had named him "Looker" (ugh), but it didn't fit him at all. It took me a day to realized I'd named my new baby Charlie Brown (our last name).

Ramsey looked like a Ramsey, for no reason other than that he just seemed like a Ramsey to me.

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is fun!

Whimsey: I got my current soulmate from Town Cats in Morgan Hill. His original owner called him Joey which I thought was horrible. Then Town Cats renamed him Joe Gray after the detective cat in the books written by Shirley Rousseau Murphy. I couldn't stomach either name as he was a gorgous picture book classic silver tabby and certaily not gray. So I named him Whimsey after Lord Peter Whimsey, the hero in Dorothy L. Sayers detective novels. Besides Lord Peter's motto is, "As my whimsey takes me," which I thought perfect for a cat!

Elizabeth

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mira's_mommy

Penny and Daisy...weird that I would post right after you!
Yes, that's a bit odd but cute. If you have pics of baby Penny and baby Daisy (and baby Simon) I`d luv to see , but I know you're busy (I read your posts about the electric cord cat and your other situations. and I wish you the best for all your situations)

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Berlin - as soon as I got her,I was thinking I wanted a German name.As I was going through German names,Berlin just stuck with me and so I ended up giving her the name.

Anja - again I wanted something German,but nothing seemed to fit this li'l one.I finally decided on Anja,because it is easy and suits her more then the other names I had chosen.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first got Nora I had initially named her Hemi, which I thought my hubby would like b/c he's a Dodge Nut and had a hemi ram at the time. Turns out he wasn't a fan of that name, and I'm glad b/c it wouldn't have suited her. I started throwing names at him and one of the firsts was Nora. We both like Norah Jones and Nora seemed like sort of a prissy, pretentious name...and she is definitely both of those. lol She's our princess and her name fits her very well.

lsuguscat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We found little Gus when he was 10 days old the day Hurricane Gustav hit and when we were all admiring how tiny and cute he was I said we should call him Gustav, and just Gus for short. I never intended on keeping that name for him because I honestly never intended on keeping him (I'm in college and just wasn't sure if I wanted a kitten, or any baby animal for that matter.. and the week before I had just put my black lab, Lady, of 12 years down
). However, after seeing him scoot all around he just broke my heart with how cute he was. I couldn't give him up after that!

So now he's Gus most time.. Sometimes Gus-Monster (he's B-A-D sometimes!!!) and sometimes Gustopher James if we feel like making him sound a little more sophisticated lol

esme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSUguscat

So now he's Gus most time.. Sometimes Gus-Monster (he's B-A-D sometimes!!!) and sometimes Gustopher James if we feel like making him sound a little more sophisticated lol

misskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope nobody will think I'm being a snob, but I don't want to tell the names of my cats!! Haha, I know it's silly, but I just hate when anyone copies off me. I've already had someone steal one of my cat's names. I go through a great deal of trouble to pick out the perfect name for my cat and then someone comes along and take it for their cat because "it sounds nice."

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSUguscat

Gustopher James if we feel like making him sound a little more sophisticated lol
cute! the entire story is heartwarming.

Originally Posted by kara_leigh

We both like Norah Jones and Nora seemed like sort of a prissy, pretentious name...and she is definitely both of those. lol She's our princess and her name fits her very well.
another musical Nora is Nora the piano cat (now famous thanks to the internet)

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201647

Now I'm very fond of the name Nora thanks to the piano cat. she rocks!

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Teddy is actually named after my grandfather. I got him when he was about 10 days old. He always slept so soundly that I was afraid that he had stopped breathing. It would take a lot to wake him up and then he'd be cranky and yell at me afterwords. Teddy also loved to eat.
I always got in trouble when I was little and accidentally woke up my grandfather from his naps. My grandfather was Italian and LOVED to eat. He had salt and pepper hair and green eyes. Teddy is black and white with green eyes. I was driving home from class one day when it all clicked. Everyone in my family loved the name since it was a fitting tribute to my grandfather. Although, I didn't count on the creepy factor. When my grandmother yells at Teddy the cat, she uses the same tone as she did with my grandfather. She even calls him, "THEODORE!" when he's especially bad.

Milo got his name from TCS! I really couldn't find a name that suited him so I asked for suggestions here. My sister and best friend really liked Milo, so that's what stuck.

hosman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I named my kitten "Alley" because I literally found her in the alley behind my place one day.She was hiding in a shrub and mewing very sad. Alley the alley cat!

Everyone likes the name and the story behind it!