Where did you get your cat's name?

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My first two cats Molasses and Cinnamon kind of named themsleves. Cinnamon came from the old television show "Mission Impossible". When we first brought brother and sister home, they were 4 months old and very scared. Cinnamon was trying desparately to get behind my refrigerater and while she was frantically trying my husband was humming the "Mission Impossible Theme song" the only female in it was Cinnamon, Barbara Bain. My boy Molasses the same day jumped up on the counter top where he knocked over the syrup "molasses" onto the floor jumped down into it and proceeded to lean on Cinnie and both of them were covered with molasses. I was mopping up that kitchen floor for days.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off, I have a thing for K names, and names with meaning.

Kismet aka Kizzy: I was looking for something that meant lucky, as it took me over 6yrs to convince hubby to let me have a cat. Kismet means fate or destiny. Which indeed suits him as I firmly belief in fate, and that he was meant to be my kitty.

Kitchi: I posted pics on here, and described him.....Kitchi means brave, and indeed he is.

Kiwi: I was stuck for a name..... he's been here over a month, with no name... being referred to as NoName. Again, posted pics looking for suggestions as I couldn't find anything that fit. Kiwi was suggested and it fit

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend and I adopted a pair of kittens (fraternal twins...lol) - we both agreed that we would each name one.

Red classic tabby - Nacho. I had a list of names to pick from and Nacho fit. He's orange which reminds me of the Nacho cheese that comes out of a can.

Silver broken mackerel tabby - Logan. We had just seen X-Men 4 before we adopted these guys, since he wanted a cool name for him, he chose Logan. Logan is Wolverine's first name.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Shareena was named Glamorous when I got her. That kind of bugged me because I thought a name should be a noun, not an adjective. I was trying to think of a name for a goddess or queen, but the ones I like have been used so often they're almost cliche. I ended up with the name of a goddess from a fantasy novel (as yet unpublished) that I've written.

Miss Patchwillow was called Patch when I got her. I didn't think that was a very attractive name for a pretty girl kitty. One of the women from my writing group has a children's story (also unpublished) about a witch name Mz. Patchwillow--nice, but not too bright--so I borrowed that name. It fits her perfectly.

Iris started out as a brat. I thought if I gave her a sweet flower name it might influence her personality. NOT! She's still a brat, but a sweet brat.

Cali tried really hard to be a calico cat when she was first born, but didn't quite make it.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mistoflees (who passed over the rainbow bridge two weeks ago)
He was- as the poem said "Black from his ears to the tip of his tail"

And we all miss him

Sneaky Pie- Well, I had been reading all of the Rita Mae Brown books, and I just think Sneaky Pie is the "cat's meow"
When my inlaws brought her to us, I thought she was going to be a grey tabby, just like what the REAL Sneaky Pie looks like. Nope. She's a toritishell tabby (sp) with white paws.

Over the years we've joked she needs to be re-named Pewter. Not only does she have Pewter's attitude, she's also as "round" as Pewter

If we ever get another kitty (and I'm sure we will, the girls want one) the name's probably going to be something from the Warriors series.
The girls like that series.

Cheryl

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maia is the named after the Greek goddess Maia, goddess of spring and new birth, the month of May was named after her. SHe was born in March, but I adopted her in May, and she was my new beginning, and I hers!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sneakers- she came with the name, she has white "socks"

Roxy- Her breeder named her that. We were going to change her name but had trouble thinking of something good. Then my brother decided he wanted to called her Rorschach, and Roxy works also as a nickname for Rorschach so we just call her Roxy (we were thinking of going with Rory as a shortening of Rorschach but Roxy just kinda stuck.)

Church- named from a Stephen King book (or Winston Churchill). As a tiny kitten he liked to curl up on a Stephen King book so I decided to name him after a King character.

Spot- When I was bottlefeeding his litter I had to find feature to help me tell them apart since they were all some variety of brown tabby. Spot had a black dot on his nose.

Blaze- Same as Spot, except he had a white blaze on his face. It's also the name of a Stephen King book.

Mr. Grey- He was a runt and as a baby and looked like an alien with his huge eyes-- that type of alien is called a "grey" and Mr. Grey is also a character in a Stephen King book.

Harlequin- I was having trouble coming up with a name, and one day I noticed that her lips are one color on the left and another color on the right (pink/black) and her fur above her lips is also like that a bit, and it reminded me of a court jester or Harley Quinn from Batman. I call her Harley for short.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We kept the names they came with from the shelter. They just seemed to fit. Except that Cindy's formal name is "Cynthia." We added Louise, so she's Cynthia Louise or Cindy Lou.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Punkin -- He was orange, and we adopted him in October. What else could we name him.

Sterling -- The name he had in the shelter. And it describes his color, if not his character.

Ella -- Again, her name at the shelter. But she's from New Orleans, and a Katrina survivor, so I suspect she's named for Ms. Fitzgerald.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco My sister named
Meeko I wanted something different.
Sasha I wanted a Russian name because she is half Russian Blue
Oreo Cookie Monster My brother called her Oreo and Cookie before I got her.
I added monster to it.
Cleo I had Cleopatra but needed a show name.
Nial/Kai Bengals suggested Cleopata Egyptian Queen and used that.
The new sphynx that is coming in October I have not named yet.

bad_kitty2001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Midnight was named by my sister. He's black so it was kind of obvious.

Maui is a name I liked. When I got her, I wasn't sure what I would call her but Maui seemed to work. I thought it was a little more exotic and she's half siamese but her points are funny. Her little feet are pure white while it gets darker up her legs and kinda striped. Her face has like a light orange on one side and little shades of gray. She's different alright!

mtbee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Spookahontas because she was a wild scared of everything cat. Spook was too common so Spookahontas she is!

Fluf. Because Fluffy is too over used! She is a big fluf ball. I call her Thin Lizzy sometimes

Milo ... um, should have been named Terror Stuck in a Tiger suit! He is very cute tho!

Leo Gump. RIP my boyfriend. We all know Forrest Gump? Well Leo is Forrest in kitty form.

And, Boy aka Ranger (came with the name Ranger from the pound but doesn't really know it's his name) I call him Boy and he responds.. It works!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard a name I liked so went with that. Then shortened it to a nickname that I like, unique & fitting.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Speck - because he has spots and I thought it was cute.
Daisy - after the cow my dad's family had when he was little.
Siamie - because she's a color point cat and DH wouldn't hear of any of the names I chose for her.
Marshmallow - after the StayPuff Marshmallow Man in "GhostBusters".

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin got her name because of her eyes. My GF first saw her in the late afternoon, and in that light they looked very orange... pumpkin colored.

Zero was named by one of the other tenants in our apartment at the time... named after the dog from The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Naming a stray is the first step towards adoption... at least in our home.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Joey - as a kitten, he hopped & would sit up on his hind legs alot
J.C. - for JC Chasez; also, we had another JC w/similar personality
Andrea - rescued from Hwy. 49 just outside of San Andreas
Cindy - actually "Cinder Cone"adjacent to Coso Rest Area, where she was rescued from
Tommy Scott - a former feral who likes both names
our kitten fosters:
Todd - short for toddles.We got him at the "toddling" stage
Kyle - came running when I said "kyle" into the phone (My brother's best friend's name)
Kelli- another K name, to go with Kyle, her identical (except gender) twin
Alex - he responded to the name

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Prissy was originally "Mirra" which was short for Miracle because she was only about 4 weeks old when she was thrown from a moving car, and it was a miracle she survived and found a home. But she is a real queenly cat, very proper and quiet and walks like a princess, so Prissy she became.

Cuddles, becuse he is without a doubt the biggest cuddler ever. I was going to rehome him, but from 6 weeks old, he's always in my lap or curled around my neck sleeping and/or purring so happily! (as he's doing right now)

Loudmouth was left by some neighbors, and is my current rescue project. My then room-mate couldn't refuse her loud and insistent pleas for food and attention, so he named her Sonora, which apparently means "loud" in Italian. When he moved out and I took over, I renamed her Loudmouth because it's just easier.

Pink, Yellow and Blue -- They are the 3 amigas, cuddle's sisters from Loudmouth's first litter, and they all looked so similar that the only way for me to tell them apart was to give them each different colored collars. So, one had a pink one (and has been rehomed and renamed Bella from Twilight) one had a blue collar and one has a Yellow/green collar.

And, I found out I'm slightly color blind, as I see the collar as ONLY yellow, not green at all, but everyone says it's lime green. This sure explains a lot!

duncandaily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The night we first adopted our kitten, we went through a handful of different names until we thought of Duncan. Somehow, it just fits his personality perfectly. Also, my favorite coffee chain is "Dunkin Donuts."

-Lindsay
http://theduncandaily.blogspot.com

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a fun thread! It's a shame I didn't see it until now
!

I named Cassidy, well, Cassidy almost immediately after meeting her. She is my ginger and white DMH/DLH 1+ year old girl. At the shelter, she was named Orianna which means something similar to light and golden. While that's a pretty name, it just didn't suit her. Well, in my opinion anyway. But choosing a different name for her was easy since Cassidy popped into my head just moments after meeting her. I have an affinity for human names for animals and to go with my already established Irish theme, Cassidy just seemed to work. I like that it has some shortened variations such as Cass and Cassie and it isn't the most popular of names which is also a bonus. It's just the perfect name for my fluff-monster and I couldn't imagine calling her anything else!

Delaney was a name I had picked out before even going to the shelter to pick out Cassie's (and my!) new kitty friend. I've always loved the name Delaney and I think Laney is such a cute nickname. It was just icing on the cake that it wound up suiting the cat I picked out. Well, in all honesty, I had an idea of which kitty I wanted to adopt after scoping out the shelter's website, but it still suited her personaility once I had the opportunity to meet her and sign the papers. Delaney is just over a year old and is my DSH brown tabby and white girl. She's a cutie and the name Laney couldn't have been a better choice for her! It certainly beats the name she had while at the shelter -- Bodacious

My girl Emory was the most difficult to name. I adopted her from a shelter just a couple of months ago and her name while there was Emma. I love the name Emma, but I just wasn't feeling it for some reason. And, so I asked for name suggestions from the forum and those, coupled with my own thoughts, made their way onto a list. I tried out Zoe and Fiona which were a couple of TCS member favorites as well as my own, but they never seemed to stick. So, in the end, to keep with my Irish theme, I decided on Emory. It was cute, different, and still similar enough to the name she had while in the shelter so as not to throw her off too much. Now, I can't believe it took so long to decide on since it suits her so perfectly, but I guess that's how things go. Oh, and, by the way, my girl Em is a nearly 2 year old DSH tortie!

Again, this thread was fun. It's always interesting to see and hear where the names we've become so accustomed to seeing and associating with cats come from!