Where did all the Tiki Cat After Dark go??

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was there a recall or is it just the cat food shortage? I cannot find it anywhere. I'm trying to stay away from the gums and stuff so havent tried the pates. Is guar gum safe? I noticed that some of their other foods have xanthan or cassis gums too. Are those ok?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chewy has it. I just ordered some earlier today
It says out of stock for me on Chewy's. The only style they have is the pate. I'm weary of feeding anything with gums in it. Is guar gum ok?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG I just refreshed again and it is there. YAHOO
I don't worry about gum. It's just a thickener in most canned foods. If my cats like food with gums I give it to them. Never been a problem. Even for my cat with a sensitive stomach. Some cats are allergic,allergic to agar agar,some are not

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all cats have problems with gums. I mean they are all “generally recognized as safe” (official term) because they are food ingredients. But for cats that do have dietary sensitivities, gums are often a culprit.

In my experience and from what I’ve heard from others, carrageenan and agar agar are often irritating. Xanthan gum makes smooth foods smooth—and for those sensitive to it, it makes their poops smooth too. I have no opinion on cassia or locust bean gum as these are often together with at least one more gum making it completely impossible to say which gum caused my cat grief. Of all the gums, I worry the least about guar gum. It is perhaps the most benign (least harmful) of all of them.

My thought is that if your cat doesn’t have tummy troubles yet, give the different foods a try. But if they do have tummy troubles after changing food, don’t discount the possible impact of the gum(s).

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, covid supply chains are a real bear. I been stocking up a bit. Also several manufacturers have had to tweak theirs recipes due to costs and availability of materials. Fun...

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My thought is that if your cat doesn’t have tummy troubles yet, give the different foods a try. But if they do have tummy troubles after changing food, don’t discount the possible impact of the gum(s).
I so agree with this! One of our cats has trouble with a lot of thickener ingredients -- first with potato then moving on to agar-agar and possibly some gum family member(s) -- so they're the first thing I consider when/if she starts vomiting.

Yeah, covid supply chains are a real bear. I been stocking up a bit. Also several manufacturers have had to tweak theirs recipes due to costs and availability of materials. Fun...
Yes to this! Supplies have been dodgy since the beginning of the pandemic for so many reasons. It's been a serious pain in the neck, though it's also meant that I've tried some foods I might never have tried otherwise... and some, thankfully, have even worked for our cats!

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
…here in sticksville, was contemplating giving my cat DOGfood, it’s so hard to find what I need. The store owners are apologizing to me for empty shelves. But then I landed on a nice stock of rabbit, so tided over ‘til the next Farmina arrives.

louisstools

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes to this! Supplies have been dodgy since the beginning of the pandemic for so many reasons. It's been a serious pain in the neck, though it's also meant that I've tried some foods I might never have tried otherwise... and some, thankfully, have even worked for our cats!
My cats were on an all kibble RX diet until Oct of 2021 and it wasn't until Dec of 2021 that for my remaining cat I even considered giving her non RX food. We first got into the world of non-rx wet/canned food at that point. Oof. Talk about interesting times...trying to figure out that magical formula for one's cat of flavor and texture all the while navigating empty shelves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
…here in sticksville, was contemplating giving my cat DOGfood, it’s so hard to find what I need. The store owners are apologizing to me for empty shelves. But then I landed on a nice stock of rabbit, so tided over ‘til the next Farmina arrives.
I feed the venison and pumpkin canned food from Farmina. That has been difficult to get. And the quality of it has gone down too. Much less venison and more water.

louisstools

Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only wet food my girl will consistently not turn her nose up is Blue Buffalo's Tastefuls Chicken Pate. It used to be VERY MOIST - shake the can and hear it slap around - pink, with a strong chicken odor, and had blue lids. The new version is bone dry, dark brown, little odor. It's dry enough I call b.s. that it is 78% moisture as the can says b/c it's far more dry than any other wet food I've opened. I've called them and they say they haven't changed anything...b.s.