Where can I spread the word to help my babies get rescued or adopted?

Mokocchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Heartbroken at the moment because I'm moving and all of my cats are being taken to a kill shelter of sorts. 5 are already gone, 5 more are going tomorrow. I hyperventilated and couldn't even watch the man taking them the other day because I grew up with these animals and even though it has caused me a lot of psychological and emotional conflict over the years (see my other posts), seeing them go like that alone & scared hurts. They're listed on the website for now, but I need to post the links somewhere to bring attention to getting them adopted or rescued. If you have any resources/information (located in NYC) at all it will be appreciated. I would do it here to get the word spread, but I'm not sure if that's appropriate. Thank you!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Why are they being taken to a kill shelter? Somebody here at TCS may be able to help quickly.

Anyway, I am not in the same country as yours, but I found below info, please try to call them:
Anjellicle Cats Rescue
P.O. Box 2084
Radio City Station
New York, NY, 10101-2084

Animal Haven
200 Centre Street
New York NY 10013
[email protected]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mokocchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why are they being taken to a kill shelter? Somebody here at TCS may be able to help quickly.

Anyway, I am not in the same country as yours, but I found below info, please try to call them:
Anjellicle Cats Rescue
P.O. Box 2084
Radio City Station
New York, NY, 10101-2084

Animal Haven
200 Centre Street
New York NY 10013
[email protected]
We tried contacting BARC Shelter and others that are no-kill, but a lot did not have space. ACC is where we took them. I just want a speedier outcome for them as I've lived with them for so long that I can't fathom the idea of them being euthanized if no one takes them. I'll try to reach out to the rescue you listed. Hopefully they're receptive or at the very least have suggestions on how to help my kitties. They had to go as we could already not really afford or give them the best life. We're moving too and it wouldn't be possible to house 16 animals again. To begin with, it wasn't supposed to spiral out of control, but I don't want to blame my parents much as they have their own stress outside of this. If I can secure their potential to have a better home that'll make me super happy. I don't want them to think I've betrayed them or feel alone. People will love them and they're all so sweet (just scared atm).

Mokocchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How are things going?
I've sent a long email to Angellicle Cat Rescue so I'm hoping to hear back from them at some point. If they cannot take them, at the very least I asked for other resources/rescues they're in contact with. I will advocate for each of the cats individually if I have to. They have so much personality and heart that I can't just leave them like that. Seeing ACC's at risk page on Facebook scares me. I saw one animal who only had minor allergies on there because of the fact that she was still fearful. Knowing my cats, I'm sure that environment is stressful to them and though some may adjust, some probably won't. If they're euthanized as time passes for that, that would kill me too.

Mokocchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So all of the rescues I emailed were full or didn't have any way to help except Mighty Mutts which offered to post about my situation or list the animals located at ACC. I freaked out / cried a lot the other day because all of them were taken down from the site, and I thought something bad may have happened. Like euthanasia. But I called again today to inquire and was told they were all sent to rescues. There were 14. One (the sick male I loved but couldn't afford veterinary for) had to be euthanized a few days ago. 9 are at a rescue apparently. 4 are still up for adoption: One adult adult female that isn't socialized, very fearful, but not mean named Ginger is over 5 yrs old. One pregnant, very sweet mischevious 5 y.o. girl named Loopsie (born 3/24/14) who I spoiled a lot as a youngin. She likes to get into things, but she also likes to rub against you. One 11mnth old girl (born Christmas day '18) named Xena that has three sisters and is part of a quadruple. She loves attention. And lastly one 1 y o. girl (born early Dec '18) named Sonia that is rlly loving and has twin brother. She likes to roll around on the ground and follow you around when she's comfy with you. These girls and all of my cats in general were very afraid when they left. It's like they knew qhat was happening when the guy came to take them. They usually do well and are rlly curious/bold when strangers come over. But something about the carriers and the atmosphere freaked them out. They were hiding everywhere and my sick boy that was put down hissed at/scratched me for the first time ever when I helped get him in the carrier. They're all so nice and love attention so I hope people take a chance on them whether they're in a rescue or up for adoption. I made sure to take down ALL their ID #s and screenshots of their profiles before they were taken down. The 4 girls are not listed yet (not sure why) but I hope they will be soon. Ginger was listed but they took her down although she hasn't been adopted. I'll keep posted here and if anyone in NYC is interested I will definitely share their IDs. Even if you just want to spread the word. Thank you guys!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. For some reason, I just noticed this thread. I really can't help other to make a comment about what I know to happen in my area when a cat that has been posted for adoption is taken down from the associated web site - in all cases it has been because they were in what they call a "foster to adopt' arrangement. It is sort of a temporary adoption to make sure the cat and potential new owner are compatible. They don't want to keep them posted as adoptable because the hope is they will stay with their 'new foster-to-mom' owner. And, sometimes they let these trials go on for quite a while just so they aren't 'pushing' the potential owner into making a quick decision either way. The cat either gets adopted after the trial - at which point they are put back on the site as adopted, or they are re-posted to the site as adoptable (again). I tracked 7 cats/kittens this way since several months ago. Of all 7, only one is still up for adoption.

I hope this is what is going on in your case as well.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mokocchi Mokocchi - like FeebysOwner FeebysOwner I just happened to see this too, and sorry I wasn't able to offer any comfort any earlier. And interestingly - - the info FeebysOwner FeebysOwner gave you was something I was going to tell you about!!!!! Many shelters (including the one I currently volunteer/foster for) are now doing the "foster to adopt" concept, and the way FeebysOwner FeebysOwner explained it is the way it works at most shelters. Not sure why it's just catching on now -- - but it is a great way to do two things. It encourages people who are afraid to foster bc they're worried they won't be able to let the cat/kitten go once they've fostered them (we currently have 2 'failed fosters' that we ended up adopting!). It also is a great way to put harder to adopt cats/kittens (ones who are older, have health issues, are shy - - ones that may be wonderful in a home, but have real trouble adjusting to a shelter environment (understandably!). And FeebysOwner FeebysOwner is right - - most shelters do not put the kitties that are truly in those programs online, as often they are kept by their foster family.

My avatar ("Bowie") is a "failed foster" - - we fostered him because he'd been horribly abused (foster to adopt hadn't caught hold yet in the shelter world). He was in a hamster cage (so small he couldn't stand up or turn around!) in the middle of the summer, with no shade, litterbox, food or water at the end of a driveway (just a foot from a VERY busy road!) for several days to "attract attention to a garage sale." Luckily he attracted the attention of the right person - our shelter manager scooped him cage and all into her car from the roadside! He came straight to us since we often foster kitties that need medical or socialization help - - -and poor Bowie was as traumatized as it gets. We knew he'd never do well in a shelter, so we adopted him not long after we began fostering.That was 9 years ago and he's STILL terrified of everything (mailman, doorbell, birds on the front lawn, the phone - you name it) and he's still terrified he'll never eat again (so he has to have his food monitored). But he loves us-and he's happy -and you can't ask for more then that!

Sorry so long- - - but that was my long way of explaining that "foster to adopt" programs are a wonderful way for a kitty to find a forever home (while keeping room open at the shelter for even more kitties!). If any of your guys go down that route, know that the people who utilize that program are usually very interested in working with kitties, and are happy to do any "extra" work to help them become more adoptable. It's usually a big "win win" for the kitty - - -often they end up with the foster home becoming their forever home, but if they do go back to the shelter, they're generally MUCH more adoptable at that point.

Also know that just because they aren't online as adoptable try not to panic (although I certainly understand why you would - obviously your experience was gut wrenching!). Many shelters work in tandem with other shelters who can help them out if they're overflowing. One shelter in our town partners with several shelters across the country to bring in small dogs to adopt, as our town has MANY large, bully breed dogs but far fewer small dogs. So hopefully your babies are finding their way into wonderful new forever homes.

Keep us posted - - I'll be thinking of you and you furry babies!

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Are y’all talking about shelters or rescues?

Only rescues in our area do official “foster-to-adopt” programs. Municipal shelters sometimes have foster programs, but I’ve never seen one so far with the resources to have a foster-to-adopt program since that would require holding the space until and if adoption is finalized... :/

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise

This group says they help provide resources for pet owners, rescues, TNR, etc. seems like they take care of the “odds and ends” in the rescue world.

Your situation is unique. Contact them. They almost certainly have a lot of connections with other rescues.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
https://m.facebook.com/groups/227270081027080?group_view_referrer=profile_browser

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1004374019623351?group_view_referrer=profile_browser

https://m.facebook.com/groups/174144812684738?group_view_referrer=profile_browser

https://m.facebook.com/groups/730476310338447?group_view_referrer=profile_browser

Post your cats to these groups.

In any posts about your cats, be sure to ask if anyone knows of other local resources that might help, whether it is a rescue or a Facebook group. Many private Facebook groups mobilize to make things happen in the rescue world and in my experience are actually way more responsive and effective than actual rescues, so DO NOT discount them.

I do the vast majority of my rescuing these days by responding to average people who post for help on these groups, and do many other citizen rescuers near me.

Honestly, my Facebook is dead set on showing things near ME, but I am seeing a good amount of NY/NYC resources as is, which is expected given that it’s NYC.

Go to Facebook and search terms like “NYC cat rescue” “NYC animal rescue” “NYC pets” “NYC shelter cats” “NYC stray cats” “NYC save cats/animals” “NYC adopt cats/cat adoptions”. Use those same search terms (and similar ones) but change the location to be more specific (Burroughs), Use towns/cities nearby, use just NY, and use every combination of key words and locations - literally just anything you can think of remotely like that to see what pops up. Trust me on this.

Look, I’m not going to sugar coat this. Just from very briefly glancing at these and various NYC groups I have already seen 3 posts and comments about ACC being a high kill shelter.

You are going to have to do the leg work here and post your butt off to these groups, beg for further resources, and tell them something about your personal connection to these cats. Make a fake profile if you have to in order to maintain anonymity or bend the story a bit so your parents don’t look so bad. Whatever you have to do.

But it’s on you to do the work here. We all know you can do it and we are rooting for you and these cats.

Last edited: