Where can I rescue a Sphinx?

Snailfood73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am new to the forum and am looking for advice about where I can rescue/adopt a Sphinx cat in the Georgia area. It has always been a dream of mine to own a Sphinx cat for so many reasons. 1.) because they are adorable of course and 2.) because they are hypoallergenic and I am pretty allergic to cats (yes I know Sphinx cats are not completely off the hook for allergies but a friend of mine has one and it has never bothered me!). I never wanted to get one when living in apartments and dorms because I wanted my cat to have a spacious home where it could thrive. I have also struggled with anxiety and depression in the past, and, in that state of mind, never felt fit to provide the accountability the is required to care for an animal. It’s taken a lot of time and effort but I finally bought my first house and am in the best mental health I have ever been in! After years of researching and preparing, I believe I am finally fit to care for a cat, even one as high maintenance as a Sphinx. I have been looking for about 2 months, scouring every website and adoption center and can not find a single Sphinx cat looking to be rescued or adopted in the Georgia area. I have even considered some surrounding states around Georgia but still have found none. I’m not sure if I’m looking in the wrong places or am ignorant as to where I can find Sphinx cats to adopt. I know Sphinx cats are very valuable and are sold for thousands of dollars online, but it has always been a dream of mine to rescue one. I would appreciate if anyone has any advice at all for me as to how I can go about rescuing/adopting a Sphinx cat in the Georgia area (or surrounding states). Thank you!

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Welcome to TCS! New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You! – TheCatSite Articles :hithere:
I think that Sphynx cats are mainly sold (as you mentioned) from breeders. I found a place online called Lanier Bare Sphynx Cattery(located in Georgia) but I did not do a ton of research and I am not entirely sure if it is legit and if it is a breeder or a rescue place. The only other thing I can think of to do is to just keep looking and calling local shelters and asking around. (or even ask your friend where they got their Sphynx!) It will probably take some patience and time to find one, but have faith and patience and you never know what might happen :)
Of course, if you have any questions about anything, feel free to post here!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have to agree with BellaGooch BellaGooch in her assessment of rescuing a very specific breed. I only rescue, dogs and cats. Cats have all been street rescues/ferals but dogs have been specific breeds. It is pretty easy to rescue a GSD (my preferred breed) but once in a while I have thought about a rescued Scottish terrier or more obscure breed and have never found any leads. It does seem that certain breeds are available in less quantity so rescue becomes slim? And in the dog world a lot of breeders do put the word "rescue" someplace in their ads to draw in the "rescue only" crowd. It is very admirable that you do want to rescue and your allergies certainly do play a part, but you might have to consider going to a breeder. There is a forum here for showing and breeders and those people might be able to help you if you post there.