Where can I buy prescription food online without a vet prescription?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoyochi046

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I know this is a silly question to begin with, but I really want to know if it is possible buying prescription food online without a vet prescription? 

I have a cat that has bladder stones, he is cured, but he needs to stay on royal canin urinary so dry cat food. The only problem is, my cat is currently in China, and my boyfriend will bring him here a couple weeks later. The custom won't let us take cat food with us, and the animal hospital around me says that they need to see the cat first to give me a prescription. I'm kinda out of options, and this is bugging me right now. I can't give my cat regular cat food, and I wanted to buy some prescription cat food first, so when they get off the plane, they won't be hungry, but there is really no where to buy any! 

Can anyone tell me what to do now? 

Thank you for your help in advance.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm guessing that you're here in the states and that's where it will be shipped to? Amazon. They sell it and if you are a prime member you get free 2 day shipping. It's expensive though

You can also get it at http://chewy.com but they will need to contact the vet before they sell it to you. Amazon does not. The difference? Chewy gets $57.98 for the same bag and they also have free shipping. So if you really want to buy it online without a vet getting involved it will cost you more. Pet Food Direct and Wag.com have it but they need a vet's OK too.

Petsmart does sell it but it seems to be in store only. $64.69 for a 17.6 pound bag http://www.petsmart.com

Last edited:

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never seen it available anywhere without Rx. I've never seen it at Petsmart. Like the previous poster said, Chewy.com does call the vet to confirm the Rx. Seems like Royal Canin SO is on amazon, but I'd be very careful to purchase something that should only be Rx...without an Rx. You can't be sure where they're getting this stuff from. Although the seller name is Royal Canin, that doesn't actually mean its the manufacturer. Anyone can type in any name on amazon.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi, I know this is a silly question to begin with, but I really want to know if it is possible buying prescription food online without a vet prescription? 

I have a cat that has bladder stones, he is cured, but he needs to stay on royal canin urinary so dry cat food. The only problem is, my cat is currently in China, and my boyfriend will bring him here a couple weeks later. The custom won't let us take cat food with us, and the animal hospital around me says that they need to see the cat first to give me a prescription. I'm kinda out of options, and this is bugging me right now. I can't give my cat regular cat food, and I wanted to buy some prescription cat food first, so when they get off the plane, they won't be hungry, but there is really no where to buy any! 

Can anyone tell me what to do now? 

Thank you for your help in advance.
Well , can you  make an appt at the vet for your cat for when he gets here ? I doubt you will find an online retailer to sell RX diets  without a prescription . . Maybe the  new vet will agree to prescribe the RX food .  In the meantime  get  a few cans of grain free wet food  to feed  him when they get off the plane and until the appt .. 

Last edited:

reikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
PetSmart does carry the bags in most of their stores. They do require a prescription. They'll need proof of it then create you a card that's good for a year to purchase the food in the store. I had it for the urinary stone food too in case I ever ran out and needed some quick. And sometimes they'd put it on sale too.

Maybe if you explain the issue to your vet in detail they'd be willing to sell you at least a small bag as long a you have an appointment scheduled once the kitties arrives?

Could your boyfriend maybe ship you some food before he leaves too?

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes you can find prescription foods on ebay - I haven't bought them there, but I've seen them. It might be worth looking to see if anyone has the kind you need, but do check the seller's rating before buying.

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Sometimes you can find prescription foods on ebay - I haven't bought them there, but I've seen them. It might be worth looking to see if anyone has the kind you need, but do check the seller's rating before buying.
What are you still doing with the original Nintendo box? ;)    Hunting ducks?

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

What are you still doing with the original Nintendo box? ;)    Hunting ducks?
Lol, no, that's an old picture. I don't have it anymore, but that was the box from my childhood Nintendo set. I kept it around for many years after I stopped using it for some reason.

PopokiMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm guessing that you're here in the states and that's where it will be shipped to? Amazon. They sell it and if you are a prime member you get free 2 day shipping. It's expensive though

You can also get it at http://chewy.com but they will need to contact the vet before they sell it to you. Amazon does not. The difference? Chewy gets $57.98 for the same bag and they also have free shipping. So if you really want to buy it online without a vet getting involved it will cost you more. Pet Food Direct and Wag.com have it but they need a vet's OK too.

Petsmart does sell it but it seems to be in store only. $64.69 for a 17.6 pound bag Pet Supplies, Accessories and Products Online | PetSmart

This is inaccurate. Amazon does not sell this prescription food without a veterinary Ok.

PopokiMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've never seen it available anywhere without Rx. I've never seen it at Petsmart. Like the previous poster said, Chewy.com does call the vet to confirm the Rx. Seems like Royal Canin SO is on amazon, but I'd be very careful to purchase something that should only be Rx...without an Rx. You can't be sure where they're getting this stuff from. Although the seller name is Royal Canin, that doesn't actually mean its the manufacturer. Anyone can type in any name on amazon.
You are correct. Amazon is more expensive, but they do require a veterinarian prescription authorization. My cat is also on Hill's CD Urinary and as a Prime member I just checked Amazon's website.

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
P PopokiMama this thread is seven years old and the problem way in the past.
We'll lock this thread now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.