Where can I buy an IV bag for my cat

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 13 year old cat has been throwing up all day, and he's not feeling good. I gave him some Cerenia that I had in the house. His vomitting has made him dehydrated. I know how to use an IV bag, and I have some sterile needles. Is there a place to buy an IV bag that is affordable? I took care of a sick cat in the past and got the IV bag from the veterinarian. I don't know if it is typical for a veterinarian's office to sell IV bags, or not. I had a relationship with this clinic and they sold me a bag for 25 dollars. I no longer live near that vet clinic. Will any vet clinic sell me a bag? My boy is not feeling good, and i am sure a little bit of hydration will help him feel better. Is there any other place besides vet clinics where i can get IV bags. I don't have the time or patience to order anything online. I want to be able to go someplace tomorrow morning and get it. Petsmart said they don't carry it. I do intend to take him to a vet tomorrow. But if possible, it'd be great if you could help answer my question.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I think a vet's clinic is the only place to get the bags (other than chewy . com...) But it requires a prescription either way.

Can you ask your vet and see if unflavored Pedialyte would help?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't how the rules are where you live, but wouldn't any pharmacy sell you a RL bag or bottle off-the-counter, like it happens over here?

God, I wish I could send you what you need. The RL bottle I used to buy was €3 per 500 ml. The saline solution is even cheaper.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In the US, IV bags are a prescription item so you will need to buy it directly from the vet or get a prescription from the vet to buy elsewhere. You can't just walk into any vet hospital or a Human doctor's office and buy an IV bag or get a prescription, though. You have to be a client there.

You can keep your cat hydrated for now by syringing some water or watered down food. Pharmacies sell oral syringes, usually OTC but ask the pharmacist. Pet stores sell feeding syringes. I wouldn't give more than 5 ml of liquids at a time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the US, IV bags are a prescription item so you will need to buy it directly from the vet or get a prescription from the vet to buy elsewhere. You can't just walk into any vet hospital or a Human doctor's office and buy an IV bag or get a prescription, though. You have to be a client there.

You can keep your cat hydrated for now by syringing some water or watered down food. Pharmacies sell oral syringes, usually OTC but ask the pharmacist. Pet stores sell feeding syringes. I wouldn't give more than 5 ml of liquids at a time.
Thanks, I never thought of syringing water into his mouth.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really though if your cat is vomiting and dehydrated it really needs full bloodwork at the vet and subQ fluids to find out why this is happening. Cats who show they are ill go downhill quickly. Also even if they seem to be feeling better a day or two later that doesn't mean there isn't internal organ issues going on. Even the sickest people and animals have good and bad days. I really suggest a vet, anything else we tell you to do would be irresponsible as no one knows what is truly going on.

When was his last visit and BW? Was everything normal?