When will my cat give birth roughly?

Pearce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am aware i'm not looking for a specific date- more so a week range if possible. I am also aware I need to get my cat spayed as soon as possible but a little too late right now so please don't berate me for something i'm already getting taken care of.

My cat Mistios has definitely been in heat and hasn't gone back into heat for sometime. They were inconsistent so I am unsure of when this may have happened.
She is a fairly small cat in size, weighing around 7 lbs before she was obviously pregnant.This is her 1st litter and she is about 20 months old.

about 4 weeks ago when picking her up her nipples were larger than before. a few days after this she looked noticeably swollen (seemed to happen so fast after realizing the nipples were pinking)
about 3 days ago I was remarking on how big she has gotten recently and now she seems less pregnant. I am aware the kittens move into the birthing position and her belly drops which can make her appear less pregnant I just didn't think we were there yet.
A few days ago I noticed her mammary glands were starting to swell also. other than her belly swell and the mammary/nipples shes not really exhibiting any other symptoms of being "close". Her nipples aren't dark but like an unchewed bubblegum pink. hair has receded but she's medium hair and I still have to part hair to get to them. no milk but nipples look a little dry. From when I remember my friends cats birth the nipples were much longer and pointed but I am unsure about if shes had a previous litter and what they looked like before. also hard to know when looking up pictures on the internet because you also don't have that information about previous litters and such from a photo.
She started sleeping in a weird corner about a week ago so I set her up a birth box there and she sleeps in it for about 3 or so hours at a time before she gets up and moves to a new location. she has revisited the box but solely to sleep. haven't noticed any digging or movement of the pads in the box since I set it up.
She wasn't the most affectionate cat to begin with but she would take any pets we would give her anywhere on her body. she didn't beg for attention but she liked it. however now, touching her tummy isn't allowed, haha, even just touching her toes she will give a bat or a little nip. shes gentle about it just warning me not to continue which obviously I oblige. This started about a week ago.
I just want to be able to be here for her in case something happens. The dad to be has an oddly large head in my opinion (unknown breed but appears to have some Siamese and is quite longer than my queen) so I just want to make sure things go smoothly for her and can get her the help she needs if anything happens.

She is confined to inside so there's no way she will get out for anyone concerned. I'm just merely looking for a guesstimate on when my little lady will possibly start prelabor symptoms so I can stay home for her.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,
Nipples usually start pinking up around 3 weeks into pregnancy, so the fact you said you noticed this 4 weeks ago suggests she is roughly 7 weeks gone. Cats are pregnant for 63-70days.
My guess would be the week commencing 14th Sep from what you have said.
Not all cats nest until they are actually in labour, my girl didn't.
It's great that you want to be there for her and wise considering things can go wrong.
These are the signs my girl displayed 24hrs prior to birthing, lose stools, drinking alot of water, very affectionate (isn't usually) restless and pacing about and then in the later stages heavy breathing and clearly in pain.
Remember to have an emergency vet number on hand should you need to rush her in if complications occur. Also buy some kmr and feeding bottles/syringes just incase and a heat pad (kittens won't feed if they are cold)
Good luck, hope everything goes well for mama and babies.
This site is great for information and advice so please do post if you are unsure of anything 😊

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure to keep the dad separated when she has the kittens, which I am sure you know lol. And please get him neutered asap. Dad appears to be a colorpoint? Like a seal point? If so, the only way mom will have any color points is if she has the colorpoint genes. If not the kittens will be tabbies or blacks more then likely. If mom is a longhair, all the kittens should be longhair as well or at least most.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please keep us posted. Hope all goes smoothly for mom and we love to see babies. If any are going to look like dad they will be born white and then the darker points will start to show as they grow

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pearce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The dad (Kratos) is actually a "barn cat" basically a mutt. I only saw one other litter-mate and did not see mom or dad when I got him. His little-mate was black and also long hair. Mistios is more medium hair but im hoping they come out with some long hair. Mistios' also appears to be a mutt also. litter-mates were also different and I also didn't get to see mom or dad. There was an orange and white, a grey and white, and then another one that looks like her but with more white. not sure if there were more however. I'm getting anxious and excited though. Dad has an appointment already so he will be good to go soon!

Pearce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it normal to hear movement and such from inside my queens stomach?
I'm not sure i've ever noticed but the other day I was laying next to my pregnant cat and her stomach made a noise that startled her. It wasn't a pass of gas but more like a squish/gurgly sound. I too was surprised by this sound as i've never heard cats possible digestion. I placed my head on her tum and it was pretty weird to me. Is this normal in all cat's, pregnant cats, or is my little lady super gassy? lol

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't speak for pregnant cats but for cats in general it is as normal as it is for humans. It could be an indication of a problem if it's too often, lasts too long, etc just as it would be for humans too. Or it could just be some simple gas, a temporary digestion sound.

Pearce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For about a week now my pregnant cat has been digging in our cat tree. Will she try to have her kittens in this tree?! haha It is way too small for her to give birth in the cubbies. She has several other boxes to choose from and hasn't "nested" in any of the other ones, only the cat tree. Mostly curious if this is just nesting behavior and she knows she cant fit in there but likes the carpet or if shes actually going to try to birth these babies on the top cubbie hole of this thing.

Thanks for the help :)

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I second putting the cat tree away, don't even allow it to be a nesting option for her, cat's can give birth in the daftest of places.
A cat tree wouldn't be ideal as even newborn kittens can move about a fair bit looking for mama cat when she isn't there and you wouldn't want them to fall.
She may choose one of the boxes you have put out once labour is established 😊