When to Vaccinate A Cat After Neutering

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you guys remember Oreo, the street cat my husband and I have been helping and had Calici Virus.

Anyways, yesterday since I was at work I asked a cousin of mine to bring him to the government vet for neutering. He recovered fast and well. This cat never ceases to amaze me. By the time I got home he was already jumping up and about.

My question is this, since I tried calling the vet but no answer yet, (and my cousin forgot to ask yesterday), when can I send him back for his vaccinations? Should I wait another week or is it ok for him to be vaccinated just after being fixed?

He was not vaccinated before because he was medicating due to Calici Virus.

For now we contained him in the bathroom (I have a much bigger bathroom now - we transferred apartment. Yay!) as I am still afraid to expose my own cats to any remaining virus he may still have.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would talk to the vet but if he's not being medicated anymore I can't see any reason not to get him vaccinated. The vet should be able to put your mind at rest about how long to keep him separate. I remember Oreo, you are amazing taking this little guy in. And congratulations on the new apartment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I would talk to the vet but if he's not being medicated anymore I can't see any reason not to get him vaccinated. The vet should be able to put your mind at rest about how long to keep him separate. I remember Oreo, you are amazing taking this little guy in. And congratulations on the new apartment.
The vet finally just replied. He said after 3 days we can send him back. I forgot to ask him about how long we can contain Oreo in the bathroom. I will need to talk to him again. It really is hard chasing government vets as I understand they are loaded.

And yes, thanks a lot. I am very happy with the flat. Too many windows for my cats to watch outside, and since we are in the penthouse my cats have solo access on the rooftop. They enjoy the outdoors there.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad the vet got back to you. And so happy you and your fur babies are enjoying the new place.