When to switch a kitten's food?

Finley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted my 2 three month old boys on the 11th of this month. The shelter I got them from told me to keep their diet consistent. They were eating Friskies pate and Purina kitten chow at the shelter, and I was instructed to feed them the same at home, especially for little Walter who has a history of loose stools.

Walter hasn't had any loose stools since he came home, both are doing well and they LOVE their Friskies pate. Walter doesn't really like his dry food, I never see him eating it. Finley loves both his wet and dry food.

I feed them a can of pate in the morning and one after work. They prefer to eat together, and they both get the amounts they want without one overtaking the other. They don't gobble it up all at once, they eat what they want initially, then take 2 or 3 trips to the bowl by themselves (Finley grazes more, Walter eats until he's full then leaves) over a couple hours. Finley also drinks more water.

I have been reading that Purina kitten chow is low quality. I don't want to change their wet food, but I do eventually want to change their dry. What do you recommend for a better quality dry food (for kittens specifically), and at what age do you recommend I start the transition?

Also, I never see Walter eating dry food or drinking water. He loves his wet food, is he getting enough nutrition and hydration from that alone? They have one water dish in the same room as the food bowl, and one in a separate room. Finley will only drink from the one in his room- I know some cats don't like their water close to their food because of cat and hunting instincts. I like to give them the option.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome. :wave3:

• Most recommendations you'll see here is to leave out dry 24/7 for kittens and feed as many wet meals as possible. Kittens are growing rapidly and at times can need as many as 100 calories per pound during extreme growth spurts. It's better to let them eat as much as they want while they are growing. You can switch to an adult food once they have stopped growing in height and length, which is usually around 1 year old +/- a little.
  • Purina kitten chow isn't a great kitten food. It's cheap food that meets basic needs but that's about it. Just go off the general idea that anything labeled chow isn't good enough to be classified as food. Very few ingredients in any of Purina's Chow lines is biologically appropriate for cats. Blue Buffalo is the highest fat kitten food (at least last time I checked) which would be good if you have any concerns about being underweight. Otherwise I would look for an all stages dry food since you won't have to switch. I usually mix two or three different foods together so my crew doesn't get stuck on one flavor or type, but that's a personal preference. All stages foods are ones that are nutritionally complete for all ages of cats which tends to also be higher protein content too. You want a low carb, high protein, moderate fat food to best meet your cats biological needs. With dry it is harder since dry tends to be high carb. Friskies only once they are adults is probably the way to go. Less carbs (if you stick with classic pate), less fillers and higher moisture content. Especially since you have males, keeping them hydrated will prevent all sorts of issues.
  • Drinking, kittens in general are geared to get most of their moisture from nursing. Yes, even at three months old. So they aren't inclined to drink often or much. It's still important to have fresh water (yes, your cat will know it's stale) and preferably a fountain. They will drink more as they get older.
  • You not seeing the one ear dry food or drink isn't uncommon. Cats are vunerable when they eat or drink. While he might eat wet in front of you since you put down the bowl he might be choosing to not eat or drink more than necessary in front of you. Cats are both a prey animal and a predator animal so they get natural habitat from both sides of their nature. Hiding illness or injury and being hesitant to eat or drink when observed are just two from the prey side. He will probably eat or drink more in front of you as he gets more comfortable. I used to weigh my dry food when Rocket was a kitten just to make sure she was eating some because she refused to eat when I was near. It took until she was maybe a year before I saw her drink water; now I can't put a glass of water without her sticking her whiskers in my business.
  • Without knowing what other foods the shelter tried and if your guy was dewormed it's hard to know if his runny poop was food related. Make slow switches when you do try different foods and pay attention to ingredients.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Finley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for all the details! I do free feed dry food, and they eat a can of pate each total per day, but there have been a couple days where I've given them extra. They have some very active days, and some lazy days.

So no "chow", and I have one skinny baby and one solid baby. They're going to the vet in 3 days, so as long as my skinny baby isn't underweight, I'll find an all stages food and transition them both to it.

My Finley loves drinking out of our water glasses! I started using the same filtered water we drink from, and he's really happy with it. We dump the remainder out and refill it twice a day.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If I am changing my cat’s dry food I never make a straight out change. You want to start by mixing a bit of the new food into the old and over a few days mix in more and more of the new. Assuming no tummy troubles or the cats rejecting the new, within a week you should be able to give them only the new food.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just putting it out there that don't be surprised if when you switch to a higher quality kibble, your kittens pick out the better kibbles, leaving the cat chow behind. I just switched from Blue Buffalo to Merrick Back Country and each day during transition, Neko-chan picked out the better stuff, leaving behind the Blue Buffalo.😂

Finley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I am changing my cat’s dry food I never make a straight out change. You want to start by mixing a bit of the new food into the old and over a few days mix in more and more of the new. Assuming no tummy troubles or the cats rejecting the new, within a week you should be able to give them only the new food.
The lady at the shelter that I adopted them from suggested the same. She told me to keep them on what they are eating now for at least 2 weeks, and it's coming up on 2 weeks. We'll see the vet in a couple days and I'll ask her for recommendations, then I'll slowly make the switch, since their bowel movements are fine I think they're ready.

Finley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just putting it out there that don't be surprised if when you switch to a higher quality kibble, your kittens pick out the better kibbles, leaving the cat chow behind. I just switched from Blue Buffalo to Merrick Back Country and each day during transition, Neko-chan picked out the better stuff, leaving behind the Blue Buffalo.😂
That's like when we humans pick out the red and pink Starburst candies, leaving the yellows behind. So funny!

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's like when we humans pick out the red and pink Starburst candies, leaving the yellows behind. So funny!
I know she was picking out the better stuff because around her dish were some gross, slimy kibbles she had spit out!