WHEN TO SAY GOODBYE

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that is now 22 years old. In the past month she has lost a bit of weight and is now considered underweight as she was trim to begin with. She has some arthritis in her jaw so she has a little discomfort there. I was given a few days of pain killer for her but not much else. That is now gone. I’m feeding her soft food and she seems to have a good appetite, and not exhibiting any discomfort eating. Anything that smells good she eats, but as an older cat with white fur she is looking especially rough. Some days she looks better than others so I get a little confused on what to do. In the past two weeks she has changed her sleeping spot to be hidden behind the sofa, which in my experience is a sign. I know her time is going to be soon but I really don’t want her to suffer before I put her down. Does anyone have any experience they can share on when is it time for an older cat?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I personally do not place the most 'weight' on age, especially if a cat's health is relatively stable. I tend to look at things like eating/drinking as being better indicators. Hiding behind the couch to sleep could be for many different reasons. As long as she is interested in eating and doesn't stop doing so in order to hide behind the couch, I wouldn't consider that sign to outweigh other aspects. Grooming could be an issue related to arthritis in other parts of her body too.

Can the vet give her more pain meds if you think they are needed? What about arthritic supplements like glucosamine and/or chondroitin? Older cats lose muscle mass as they age, and that might also be part of her weight loss.

The one thing I do use age as a gauge is what to feed a cat that is losing weight - the older, the more inclined I would be to feed her whatever she wants to eat that might help her retain her weight - that being in addition to whatever complete cat foods she is currently eating. For example, I feed Feeby (~17 yo) baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) as an additive to her regular diet - a single jar can contain up to 90 calories and is pure protein.

Has she been tested for hyperthyroidism? That can cause weight loss, and not all cats demonstrate excess hunger. Feeby was diagnosed with it about a year ago and her only symptom was weight loss.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand weight is not a factor but in the past I have waited until they have stopped eating and thought that may have been too late. Her blood tests are normal, she is pretty finicky I’ve tried to put supplements in a gravy and she doesn’t like it. I’m feeding her Royal Canin A/D which isn’t supposed to be a long term food but she eats it all the time and every time I put it in front of her so it does tthe job and it’s very soft. I also try to supplement it with normal wet food but that is hit and miss. Because of her age they will not give me more pain medication. We are not really sure what is going on with her jaw. It’s too painful for examination but the diagnosis is arthritis. The Vet told me she’s 100 in human years and she pretty much acts like a 100 year old human, I just don’t want her to suffer.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
At 22 years old, I think that anything that you believe is helping her, like the A/D food should be continued. Make her as comfortable and happy as possible. I agree that the age number is not the sole determiner of quality of life. Willingly eating is an important indicator to me as that suggests a lack of unpleasant conditions such as nausea or indigestion which might stem from a number of causes. As for the sleeping spot, I have owned and do own cats who one day up and decide that they are going to live in another part of the house for no apparent reason.

I will give you that at her age you need to be vigilant for signs of sudden distress, but I don't think that you are there yet. It is hard to evaluate day by day but you have given her a remarkably long life and there still could be a little more to it.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try to trust that you will know when it's time. Cats communicate very well that they're not doing well. We have a elderly cat as well (25) and as long as she's doing her kitty things well we're not to worried. On cold and or wet days, she seems to be hurting more and therefore sleeps more. We give our cat pate cat food as her teeth have aged with her. She's also entirely white and looks pretty rough at times when it's been cold/wet/ damp ect, but otherwise seems to be in good health. She also sleeps a lot more. We trust she'll tell us when it's time to let her go and that could be any day now so we're making the best of each day we have left.

palikakitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that is now 22 years old. In the past month she has lost a bit of weight and is now considered underweight as she was trim to begin with. She has some arthritis in her jaw so she has a little discomfort there. I was given a few days of pain killer for her but not much else. That is now gone. I’m feeding her soft food and she seems to have a good appetite, and not exhibiting any discomfort eating. Anything that smells good she eats, but as an older cat with white fur she is looking especially rough. Some days she looks better than others so I get a little confused on what to do. In the past two weeks she has changed her sleeping spot to be hidden behind the sofa, which in my experience is a sign. I know her time is going to be soon but I really don’t want her to suffer before I put her down. Does anyone have any experience they can share on when is it time for an older cat?
I have a 21 year old kitty and we are struggling with the same things. She got a big mat down her back that we had to shave. She's deaf and very finicky. She has eaten the gravy off of dozens of cans of Fancy Feast, now we buy broth based Rachel Ray and specialty FF. She is eating much better--maybe her teeth hurt? She was a feral kitten and has always been skittish so we hate to vet her. I love her so much but she is losing so much weight. She was a big cat--probably 15 pounds and she is down to about 9.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Never on their worst day.

The fact we have to face is, if we don't want our pets to suffer, we have to put them down before suffering starts. Loving often means making hard choices.

I don't know what else to say. Truth is, I've never been good at choosing the right time.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 21 year old kitty and we are struggling with the same things. She got a big mat down her back that we had to shave. She's deaf and very finicky. She has eaten the gravy off of dozens of cans of Fancy Feast, now we buy broth based Rachel Ray and specialty FF. She is eating much better--maybe her teeth hurt? She was a feral kitten and has always been skittish so we hate to vet her. I love her so much but she is losing so much weight. She was a big cat--probably 15 pounds and she is down to about 9.
I know it’s hard. If you can get your vet to write you a script for Royal Canin AD she will probably eat that it’s like a mousse. Also friskies makes lil soups that are gravy I’ve been mixing that with regular cat food. My cat was always 6.5 lbs all her life and now she’s down to 4.5 lbs. she is still eating though. When they are slim to begin with losing a little weight shows. All my other cats have started off at 15 lbs. I know from 15 to 9 is a big jump but that is where many of my big cats have ended up as they got older

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never on their worst day.

The fact we have to face is, if we don't want our pets to suffer, we have to put them down before suffering starts. Loving often means making hard choices.

I don't know what else to say. Truth is, I've never been good at choosing the right time.
I do know that, that is why I struggle with the decision. She’s eating and now is coming out more so maybe not now

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know we worry. I just went through this myself. Something I found that helps some of my older cats ( kittens like it too) is to assist with grooming. That is a comfort thing for cats as well as a help to keeping skin and fur at it’s best. I brush them but if they have any tender areas. Like with arthritis, I have found that just using a soft toothbrush is something they enjoy greatly. It helps to remove shedding fur and keeps the oils of the skin working. It just feels good like a mom cats kisses. Cats don’t like feeling unclean so this could perk her up when she is a little down. Sometimes they just aren’t at the top of their game but not really ready to go yet. If she stops enjoying life, that is more what I look for. Quality of life is what we all desire. You have done a great job for her to reach this age. Hoping she is with you a while longer. If you compare her to humans, my grandmother took her driving test again at 99 and passed with flying colors. The whole crowd at the DMV applauded. Grandmother gave a little happy dance and drove home! Age is not the determining factor. ;)