When to make the decision about putting the cat down

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am using a product called Cat Lax. It is supposedly only for vets but I got it at chewy. My cat has been lucky to get smaller portions pretty much when he wants them while I have been home for the pandemic. He gets a full 3 oz can at my waking up. Either a full or half at around 2, and either a full or half at 5 or 6 pm. Then I have an automatic dish release some dry food at 1 am and 3 am. The amount is small just enough to give him a snack.

Maybe someone can tell me should I give the Laxitone (or cat lax) daily? I had though I read on the directions that you should give it daily for 2 weeks and then every other day after that, but I can't find that now. I am concerned that I have been giving it at least every other day and I am still seeing throw ups
I also use cat lax because the ingredients are only fish oil. Like my cat did,he has multiple problems that can be resolved with lots of work. Her last day she had trouble breathing and very constipated.. she was in a lot of pain.. Try using a different vet. Or even better,an internal medacine doctor. I would not put him down. Throwing up liquid, even if there's fur in it is not a good sign.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am using a product called Cat Lax. It is supposedly only for vets but I got it at chewy. My cat has been lucky to get smaller portions pretty much when he wants them while I have been home for the pandemic. He gets a full 3 oz can at my waking up. Either a full or half at around 2, and either a full or half at 5 or 6 pm. Then I have an automatic dish release some dry food at 1 am and 3 am. The amount is small just enough to give him a snack.

Maybe someone can tell me should I give the Laxitone (or cat lax) daily? I had though I read on the directions that you should give it daily for 2 weeks and then every other day after that, but I can't find that now. I am concerned that I have been giving it at least every other day and I am still seeing throw ups
I forgot to mention that pepcid otc( check with a dvm for dose) may help him as well with the vomiting. Or cerenia, I can’t remember if you had tried those or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also use cat lax because the ingredients are only fish oil. Like my cat did,he has multiple problems that can be resolved with lots of work. Her last day she had trouble breathing and very constipated.. she was in a lot of pain.. Try using a different vet. Or even better,an internal medacine doctor. I would not put him down. Throwing up liquid, even if there's fur in it is not a good sign.
See now I don't see how this response makes sense for my cat. If throwing up liquid is not a good sign and my cat cannot reasonably be examined then the kind and human thing is to put him down before he suffers too much. I will see about the pepcid. My cat has very good movements still.

Ok so new plan, I will investigate sensitive stomach dry foods... he gets eathborn for his wet food and loves it. I also have been giving him Meow Mix treats when he takes his asthma medication and I am not sure about that as they are relatively new items (6 months or so) and I will cut that out and see if it improves.

Is fish oil perhaps bad for the cat? I was under the impression that might not be a good thing.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See now I don't see how this response makes sense for my cat. If throwing up liquid is not a good sign and my cat cannot reasonably be examined then the kind and human thing is to put him down before he suffers too much. I will see about the pepcid. My cat has very good movements still.
I would try the pepcid and see if that helps, cerenia you have to get from the dvm. Hugs💕 throwing up could also be a chronic issue which can be managed. It doesn’t mean he is at death’s door. Fish oil is ok as far as I know. It depends on how your cat responds but most are ok with it.

Last edited:

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well we will see but I purchased sensitive stomach food for him. And stopped giving him anything but his normal wet food.
1. HE LOVES IT.. man... (so I hope that is a sign)
2. He seems to have an insane amount of energy - not sure if that is good or bad. I would say he went from sleeping almost all day (18 hours) to being awake for about 6 to 8 hours.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we will see but I purchased sensitive stomach food for him. And stopped giving him anything but his normal wet food.
1. HE LOVES IT.. man... (so I hope that is a sign)
2. He seems to have an insane amount of energy - not sure if that is good or bad. I would say he went from sleeping almost all day (18 hours) to being awake for about 6 to 8 hours.
Great news! I hope it continues, give him a smooch😻❤

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well it has been a week and he just threw up again. All fur balls. So I have been giving him the sensitive stomach dry food for a week. I don't know if he would accept the wet food. But to me it seems like it was a failure. But I will give it one more week to see.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it has been a week and he just threw up again. All fur balls. So I have been giving him the sensitive stomach dry food for a week. I don't know if he would accept the wet food. But to me it seems like it was a failure. But I will give it one more week to see.
I would try the wet food who has he been eating wet food before? I have forgotten now sorry. Also try brushing and combing him if you don’t because it can help and it will be like a massage for him.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would try the wet food who has he been eating wet food before? I have forgotten now sorry. Also try brushing and combing him if you don’t because it can help and it will be like a massage for him.
He eats Earthborn wet normally not sure if I can get him off it. I can't imagine him having that much hair especially now in the winter/// to be throwing up hair balls each week. Perhaps I will ask the vet.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He eats Earthborn wet normally not sure if I can get him off it. I can't imagine him having that much hair especially now in the winter/// to be throwing up hair balls each week. Perhaps I will ask the vet.
The massage would also help his arthritis and overall health. I hope dvm has an idea about the food. Whatever you do try mixing in the food slowly to the old food.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I talked to my vet and she thinks he has hyperthyroid. So I have agreed to take him in. We just got slamned with 20+ inches of snow so I am hoping to put it off for a while until at least the snow is gone. Maybe March. Given the fact that my cat is so difficult with even going in for a check up... I don't see how I can give him thyroid medication and monitor him? I mentioned that to my vet and she goes, there are many treatments that won't involve medication. But I have looked it up and I don't see any. Does anyone know what she is talking about?

If it is any disease that she can't explain to me why it will be an easy fix.. I will put him down.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hyperthyroidism can be treated via dietary changes, although most cats don't really the food. They can be given medications that are either oral or transdermal get (rubbed into the pinnae of a cat's ear). Lastly, which is something I am sure you won't be willing to consider is the radioiodine treatment. Here are a couple of articles about the condition, just to get you started on becoming more aware of it, what it means to the cat's health, and the possible treatments.
Hyperthyroidism in Cats | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
Hyperthyroidism in Cats: Symptoms and Treatment | PetMD

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hyperthyroidism can be treated via dietary changes, although most cats don't really the food. They can be given medications that are either oral or transdermal get (rubbed into the pinnae of a cat's ear). Lastly, which is something I am sure you won't be willing to consider is the radioiodine treatment. Here are a couple of articles about the condition, just to get you started on becoming more aware of it, what it means to the cat's health, and the possible treatments.
Hyperthyroidism in Cats | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
Hyperthyroidism in Cats: Symptoms and Treatment | PetMD
I have read that if I give him medication I will have to go back for blood tests to monitor him. That is impossible in a cat that is fractious at the vet. I feel like I could give him the medication it is a matter of closely monitoring him.

If he won't eat the food than it won't work. And also, why am I going in? Why doesn't the vet just give me the diet?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he won't eat the food than it won't work. And also, why am I going in? Why doesn't the vet just give me the diet?
If blood work doesn't indicate hyperthyroidism, then dietary food, meds, etc. are not going to helpful at all - and could be detrimental. Without a T4 test, one cannot confirm hyperthyroidism.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am curious - as I may have missed it - did you ever talk to the vet about other sedatives than gabapentin? I know I mentioned butorphanol at one point. There are others. Just because gabapentin didn't work doesn't mean others won't. You won't know until you try - along with your vet's approval, of course.
Cat Sedatives: When and How to Use Them | Bond Vet
Need an Over the Counter Cat Sedative? Here Are Your Options – Traveling With Your Cat
Cat Sedative Over the Counter (animalpath.org)
Putting a cat down should be the final, last resort, particularly when a cat isn't exhibiting any more issues than yours.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am curious - as I may have missed it - did you ever talk to the vet about other sedatives than gabapentin? I know I mentioned butorphanol at one point. There are others. Just because gabapentin didn't work doesn't mean others won't. You won't know until you try - along with your vet's approval, of course.
Cat Sedatives: When and How to Use Them | Bond Vet
Need an Over the Counter Cat Sedative? Here Are Your Options – Traveling With Your Cat
Cat Sedative Over the Counter (animalpath.org)
Putting a cat down should be the final, last resort, particularly when a cat isn't exhibiting any more issues than yours.
This is the problem. She is so sure that I have simply messed up and that her beloved gabapentin will work, she won't give me anything else. Yes I talked to her and her flippant response was lets try the gabapentin again. I understand it is really safe for elder cats but it it doesn't work that will be a problem for all.

I have real concerns that putting a cat with (potential) hyperthyroid under stress -- fight for your life stress -- and that is what it is-- against 5 or 6 vets will lead to possible damage to my cat. Stroke, heart failure, etc if he does have hyperthyroid. And essentially this trauma will only be to get some diet food. Which may or may not work. Once I send my cat in for a tussle if they damage him, he is that much more difficult to get back into the carrier so if he has complications there is a possibility I won't be able to get him into the carrier to get him help. In my experience so far they always send him back to me in damaged shape. As if they bit off more than they can chew and he is my problem now. I have even had appointments where they were unable to get what they needed, blood etc.

I am considering giving lower doses of the gabapentin on my own and doing some test runs to get a better idea if it fails before I try lugging him in.

kittyprincesss

Loving Mother of a Flower Petal
Adult Cat
Purraise
If a vet is refusing to listen to you when asking about different medication options, you need a different vet. You already disagree with the Gabapentin so its useless to keep seeing this vet if she is absolutely refusing other options like FeebysOwner FeebysOwner has stated. Your vet should be the second biggest advocate for your cats health.

Simply put, he needs the blood panel to see if he has HT. HT can also cause aggression in cats if it continues to go unmanaged, which is possibly why he is difficult at the vet. Without these panels, you and your doctor are completely blind in terms of treating him which is why this is so much harder for you. Treating HT once confirmed with medication, and not doing continuous bloodwork is dangerous. Not knowing his values and how he is responding to the treatment can do more harm and as the others stated the diet is an option but if he already is a bit worrisome when eating than this won't work either.

Again, if he is coming back to you in worse shape at that vet you NEED a different vet, possibly one who is experienced with difficult cases. He probably needs a medication similar to Gabapentin to be sedated and mellow for an exam. There are cat anxiety treats as well with CBD that sometimes work too.

Ultimately this is your choice in how you want to proceed, and we are trying to offer some solutions to make it easier. I can't stress enough that a vet who you feel does not support your case is doing no one any good, not you and not your cat. I personally would not be ready to let him go because there is still other options and treatments out there that can make his quality of life so much better than it is now. Senior cats will get sick, and they will sleep more, but if he is still eating and trying his best hes not ready to go.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Again, if he is coming back to you in worse shape at that vet you NEED a different vet, possibly one who is experienced with difficult cases. He probably needs a medication similar to Gabapentin to be sedated and mellow for an exam. There are cat anxiety treats as well with CBD that sometimes work too.
Again, I don't know what planet you people live on but I have been to SEVERAL vets and had the same result. I guess they don't mean to hurt my cat but they arrogantly think they can handle the cat and when they cannot I get him back -- angry -- dangerous -- usually bleeding and their answer is "oh he just nipped himself but it will stop bleeding by the time you get home" and, it never does. It is pointless to move to another vet. They have ALL prefered gabapenten ( I am assuming it is the standard of care) and they do not listen. Because in their minds it will work if I only give it to him correctly or, if I give him the proper dose, etc... (even though it i known it doesn't work for all cats) At this point moving to a new vet would be a crap shoot. I would have to bring my cat in before they would give me any advice and they could be just as bad (and probably would be) as the current vet. Since getting my cat I have had at least 6 vets including emergency vets. The last 4 visits my cat has come home with damage... damage that I could see, who knows what happened back there. One time I was at the vet he didn't come back damaged but they took him in the back and I heard them dump him out into the glass container (where I guess they would put gas in)

The general problem is that vets are not prepared or willing to deal with a fractious cat. Period. But yet they insist that I bring him in for visits. When it goes wrong.. they take no responsibility. Not even taking care to send him back to me when he is good shape. Sending him back to me actively bleeding, growling, drooling from the drugs which really need about 4 more hours to wear off.

I have explained this ad nausum but I have had vets to my house -- several times.. never ever even able to examine him.. with a gate and gabapenten. One time no drugs and they couldn't do it.. I lived on the 3rd floor and I heard my cat screaming on the first floor. They were NOT able to get blood. They had a towel around him and he kicked them off.

My cat has been fractious at the vet since he was 3. For the first 10 years of course I accepted he would just have to deal with the stress but now I think it is dangerous and not humane.

I apparently have an appointment on March 2nd. I guess I will take him in but this is 100% the last time. I have tried every single calm substance -- it doesn't work. My cat simply freaks when anyone or anything tries to examine him... and it usually makes him come out of the medication.

I find it interesting that when a vet who has examined my cat gives me to permission to put him down due to the situation, that vet is ignored but somehow I am supposed to listen to another vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I find it interesting that when a vet who has examined my cat gives me to permission to put him down due to the situation, that vet is ignored but somehow I am supposed to listen to another vet.
I think this is because most of us here truly believe that no reputable vet will suggest putting a cat down for being hard to handle/manage.

It is sad - mostly for your cat's sake - that you cannot find a vet in your area that you feel will work with you to get him examined and diagnosed.

Unless COVID precludes the option of you being with your cat during this next appointment, I would strongly suggest you tell them you want to stay with him during the exam. They might be more willing to try a second sedative, and you will be able to observe how they handle him.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think this is because most of us here truly believe that no reputable vet will suggest putting a cat down for being hard to handle/manage.
But that is a mischaracterization. He is dangerous to humans and himself. Every trip to the vet he lashes out.. at the vet techs and anything in his eye site. Pulling out his own nails and who knows what he does to things we can't see. He spends the entire trip lashing at his carrier / plastic box. Yes, I have now gotten a plastic storage bin and put a whole bunch of holes in it as that seems the safest way to avoid him getting his claws stuck. So I don't see how it is possible to have him examined without hurting him, me or the vet techs. And so far, every vet takes this far too lightly... even though it is documented on the record. One suggested I get a bigger carrier, one suggested a smaller. One suggested that I get a top open carrier one suggested that is not good because the cat will try to hold on to to the door. They just are unable to deal with the situation and happy to send him packing as soon as possible.

One time a vet tried to get his blood in the room with me. With two humans and a towel they just barely got it. They were never able to it again.

I don't think it is sad, my cat is 16, that is 80 human years. I have given him a good long life filed with love. If he dies on March 12, 2022 with hardly any upset to his life or October 12, 2022 being dragged to the vet every 10 minutes and not understanding why, or suffers side effects of drugs that make him feel horrible or give him a stroke or heart failure, I think the first option is the better one.

I will give him one more try. As I said to the vet, it it is not successful I wlll be making an appointment for putting him down.