When to make the decision about putting the cat down

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am sorry to hear what is going on :( My opinion but to each their own..
Stay strong
I have had one cat put down and one died at home. IMHO the cat being put down was the better way to go. The cat that died at home was my first cat and I knew nothing about signs of illness. It was pre internet and my dad had told me that cats didn't get sick easily. Later when I realized how long he was in pain and suffering it still gets to me. But I can forgive myself for that because I didn't know any better.

At the moment though my vet does not want to allow him to be put down without a complete exam and while that was not the way I wanted it, I fear I have no choice. He, and I, will have to be put through an exam (one that may not even turn something up) but we will see.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So one thing that did happen last night is that after his final meal... he had the Hiccups - something he does have more and more lately. This may be a sign he ate too much and too quickly. So I decided to try one thing I originally went to my vet about, Pepcid. She told me I could give him 2 MG (1/4th of a 10 mg) tab. So I am giving that a try.

She was very down on that because she said, they don't get GERD unless there is something else wrong, but seems to me like they do...and honestly 2 or 3 times I took my cat to the vet because he was throwing up acutely and the doc came back with.. oh he probably just has a bit of an acid stomach. So either those vets were all lying or yes... this is something he has had for a long time.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about your struggles. I’ve had older cats and sick cats and they always let you know when it’s time. Sometimes I haven’t been able to recognize it but in hindsight it always happened. I haven’t had one, a month or so before it’s time, change routine and find a different quieter place to sleep and hang out. They may still come out to say hi but they will go back to their newer quieter place. Cats in the wild go to a secluded place to die and so do domestic ones with homes. If he is keeping his same routine, still eats and still purrs, he’s still happy to be around and doesn’t think it’s time. If things have changed with him finding a new spot in a closet or under a bed that is the signal that time time is soon. Sometimes we all think a lot about how to figure out things for our cats that we think are impossible to figure out when they give us the answers themselves .

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about your struggles. I’ve had older cats and sick cats and they always let you know when it’s time. Sometimes I haven’t been able to recognize it but in hindsight it always happened. I haven’t had one, a month or so before it’s time, change routine and find a different quieter place to sleep and hang out. They may still come out to say hi but they will go back to their newer quieter place. Cats in the wild go to a secluded place to die and so do domestic ones with homes.
I might be bad are recognizing the signs. I had a cat diet on me when I was younger and the only persistant thing I noticed was that she didn't want to be pet too much.

Well, some good new is that employer is putting a telework policy into place and it appears, we will for sure, have two days per week when we work from home.. So that will really help me to be able to work with my cat.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well he may not be ready yet, he may look rough to you but the vet may be right. It is hard sometimes taking care of an aging pet. They do get ornery and just want to sleep and often need medication for issues. But they do give you their best years and often need more care when they get older. It’s good you are going to be able to be home more. I wouldn’t beat yourself up, they do really let you know.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I am disappointed. He thew up again last night. About 8 days after the last one. Though it still *could* be due to the cat bed (build up from months of ingesting artifical fur... I do think I need to get him checked out. Of course, today would be a prefect day to try out the Gabapentin but it is snowing here. Grrrr.

I will keep trying to keep him away from fur / cat beds and keep track of the throw up timing. And also prepare for his 3/2 appointment.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is eating that is an good sign, senior cats will throw up hairballs 1 time in 8 days is fine. Owning a lot of senior cats in my lifetime I wish I could say all that is going on is completely unusual but it’s not. They look older, they sometimes get a lot louder due to loss hearing and vision loss, they move slower and sleep a lot. The gabapentin will help with the arthritis and maybe he will move faster but it won’t solve the other things you are seeing. This really is old age in a cat.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he is eating that is an good sign, senior cats will throw up hairballs 1 time in 8 days is fine. Owning a lot of senior cats in my lifetime I wish I could say all that is going on is completely unusual but it’s not. They look older, they sometimes get a lot louder due to loss hearing and vision loss, they move slower and sleep a lot. The gabapentin will help with the arthritis and maybe he will move faster but it won’t solve the other things you are seeing. This really is old age in a cat.
He is eating and pooing just fine. I agree I thought this could be due to him being older, but my vet insists that "cats don't throw up without an underlying issue" He has lost weight but... NOT THAT MUCH. He was 16 lbs about 4 years ago. Last summer he was 15 lbs. Then I was having an issue with my cat's walking so I literally tried from June to November to get him to lose weight. I noticed he had in November and weighted him.. 13.8 - I just weighed him this morning 13.8 so he is stable.

I don't want to take him in, but, I feel like I have no choice.

I feel like my goal is to finally figure out a way to get him to agree to be examined.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I feel like my goal is to finally figure out a way to get him to agree to be examined.
I think that's a very wise choice. :thumbsup: Good luck preparing for your upcoming appointment on 3/2.:crossfingers: Please keep us posted.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is the safest route but a cat that can’t pass hairballs on their own isn’t that uncommon they just need help thought or hairball remedy, yes there is a reason. Hopefully your baby will get used to the ride to the vet. I used to have to load mine with catnip to get one in the carrier

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is the safest route but a cat that can’t pass hairballs on their own isn’t that uncommon they just need help thought or hairball remedy, yes there is a reason. Hopefully your baby will get used to the ride to the vet. I used to have to load mine with catnip to get one in the carrier
Oh that made me remember my cat does get high on catnip. Wondering if can give him catnip AND gabapentin. I mean if I could get him to the vet on the catnip he might then be too stoned to really know what is going on while they are getting blood.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He threw up again last night. Hairballs again but still.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ugh not sure why but yesterday he fell asleep for a long time. I was actually worried about him as he skipped dinner so he could sleep. My guess is maybe dehydration. This morning he is better. Hungry and also more energy but last night I was worried. The one thing my cat did that died at home was sleep for long periods of time.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
MOD NOTE: This post and some of the following have been
moved from another thread, for consistency.

So my cat 16 year old cat has been throwing up a lot lately. It has been geting worse. It used to be every 8 days or so but this week it has been every 24 hours and now, today he thew up 2 times.

I had an appointment for the vet on 3/2 but I asked them to move it up. The only appointment they have is Monday 2/21.

I don't know if I am going to make that.

His last throw up was greenish colored and kind of smelled. That concerned me. Is that something that you might expect after having a lot of throw ups (bile) or is this something to be concerned about. IMHO the receptionist was a jerk. Not giving me any direction at all. Then I emailed the vet and of course, she is out of town until the 24th.

He is not throwing up after eating and is not throwing up food. He seems ok but tired.

Last edited by a moderator:

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there another vet you can go to? Does he appear to be dehydrated? I once had a cat that had a bad tooth and he vomited non stop and I ended up at the emergency clinic. Are you able to look at his teeth?

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No but I am sure they aren't great. I am giving him more water in his food. I mean I would assume that if he had a tooth problem he wouldn't be eating. He is eating a lot.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is bile not necessarly something that is dangerous but a side effect of throwing up?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Yellow vomit is usually bile which is usually from the stomach and green is usually from the digestive tract after the stomach. I realize that we may be splitting hairs here about color and either way, it seems from the same general area. If it does not appear to be food, then this is definitely a by product of the later digestive process.

Since your appointment is on Monday, you have to make a judgment call about whether or not you think that you need the ER. If it gets more frequent, or even continues at the present rate, you can't let it continue all weekend....or at least I would not.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yellow vomit is usually bile which is usually from the stomach and green is usually from the digestive tract after the stomach. I realize that we may be splitting hairs here about color and either way, it seems from the same general area. If it does not appear to be food, then this is definitely a by product of the later digestive process.

Since your appointment is on Monday, you have to make a judgment call about whether or not you think that you need the ER. If it gets more frequent, or even continues at the present rate, you can't let it continue all weekend....or at least I would not.
Ok it really didn't look yellow. It looked green. If i continues I will have to go to the ER. I am afraid of him getting dehydrated. Though after he threw up he managed to eat a lot of food and water. So it isn't the typical situation where the cat is throwing up without replenishing food or water.