When to get new cat

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a 6 month old cat a month ago and we've been bonding great. I always planned to get two cats because I'm a cat fanatic and also because I work long hours (in non covid times) but wanted to wait at least a year to let my first cat settle in and give him all my love and attention. He is an extremely affectionate and playful but laid-back cat and I'm sure he will benefit from a companion kitten. He also lived with his mother and siblings until I brought him with me and I feel like he is very lonely and bored despite regular playtimes with me. I also live very high up in an apartment building, where there are no birds or even people to watch from the windows. Any advice on when to get a second kitten would be greatly appreciated.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted a 6 month old cat a month ago and we've been bonding great. I always planned to get two cats because I'm a cat fanatic and also because I work long hours (in non covid times) but wanted to wait at least a year to let my first cat settle in and give him all my love and attention. He is an extremely affectionate and playful but laid-back cat and I'm sure he will benefit from a companion kitten. He also lived with his mother and siblings until I brought him with me and I feel like he is very lonely and bored despite regular playtimes with me. I also live very high up in an apartment building, where there are no birds or even people to watch from the windows. Any advice on when to get a second kitten would be greatly appreciated.
Hello Abc12345 Abc12345 and sweet cat, and welcome to TCS! Cat behaviorist Jackson Galaxy, "The Cat Daddy" and host of "MY CAT FROM HELL" on Animal Planet as well as strong poster to YouTube and major social media platforms and author/co-author of several books, has lots of great tips on how to introduce a new cat into the family. Basically you have a room set up with all of the new cat's needs including food and water, litterbox, scratching/playing/climbing furniture, toys, and a soft, comfortable place to sleep (cat bed or other furniture) and the new cat spends up to 2 weeks in that room. Gradually, you introduce the cats for very short periods of time through a cracked open door, working up to straight meetings, until you know they will get along. Most cats will need to establish hierarchy and this is normal as long as they don't have serious fights. Some cats are friends right away; many will be in the middle between initial fear/dominance and complete acceptance. A kitten is usually (but not always) easier for a young cat to accept than a dominant adult. But it depends. Each cat, like each person, is an individual. You say your cat is laid-back, so hopefully it will go smoothly. Also look here on TCS for information on the subject. You can search "cat introductions" to bring up threads containing links on this subject. Please keep us informed, and we love pix here at TCS!
IMG_2084.JPG

Elvis, 13, and Baby Su, 16.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I noticed the picture in your avatar looks like a Pomeranian. Do you also have a dog now?

Also look here on TCS for information on the subject. You can search "cat introductions" to bring up threads containing links on this subject.
Here are two helpful Articles for starters:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Introducing Cats To Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Best of luck and please keep us posted on your decision. :catlove:

Kee

High Velocity
Young Cat
Purraise
Like tarasgirl said, it's a good idea to follow the tried and tested methods and use a bit of gut instinct to tell what to do. Leaving food under the door and initially being gradual in your approach to getting them used to each other are both good ways to do things without too much risk and a good chance.. sorry I'm feeling a bit sick and fuzzy in the head.. will edit later.. hopefully this makes sense.. You can't control everything, but you are already taking the best steps to give them the best chances of being friends!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like tarasgirl said, it's a good idea to follow the tried and tested methods and use a bit of gut instinct to tell what to do. Leaving food under the door and initially being gradual in your approach to getting them used to each other are both good ways to do things without too much risk and a good chance.. sorry I'm feeling a bit sick and fuzzy in the head.. will edit later.. hopefully this makes sense.. You can't control everything, but you are already taking the best steps to give them the best chances of being friends!
*Feel better soon, @Kee!* :yess:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

UnoMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While there’s no rules on when is the ‘right’ time to get another cat, it’s usually the case that younger cats adjust easier to having a new playmate and companion. The older the cat, the higher the chance of them being territorial or resenting any change to their established way of life.

If your cat was used to siblings and seems bored…I’d maybe not wait a year and consider getting another kitty earlier? of course you need to feel ready for this, mentally as well as in terms of lifestyle (space to introduce the two cats, separate them if required etc)

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: thanks for all the advice. I ended up getting a new kitten. My resident cat was not impressed but I'm sure they'll be lifelong companions once he accepts her. Little kitty is being quarantined and dying to get close and personal with the big cat that is constantly watching her from the other room.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: thanks for all the advice. I ended up getting a new kitten. My resident cat was not impressed but I'm sure they'll be lifelong companions once he accepts her. Little kitty is being quarantined and dying to get close and personal with the big cat that is constantly watching her from the other room.
Very good, I hope! Keep us informed, thanks! And we'd all love to see pix, if you want to share those and info about your kitten AND your cat!

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some pictures! Also, I dont burrito my kitten regularly - I had to feed her dewormer and she will shred me to pieces trying to escape

Attachments

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would adopt another cat of similar age to live out their kitten hood together and bond. The older a cat gets the harder it can be for some cats to integrate with another cat. I’m a true believer that every cat deserves a friend. Also second Jackson’s method for intros.

UnoMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some pictures! Also, I dont burrito my kitten regularly - I had to feed her dewormer and she will shred me to pieces trying to escape
I love them!!!
Burrito her all you need ... I had to do that all the time with Uno, to give him his meds.

Your older cat will get around to bonding with her new companion in time. Don't rush it ... and TRY not to let them get into an actual fight. Separate them before they start fighting if you see things headed that way. A fight is just a bad association that sets them back badly in the bonding process