When To Get A Second Kitty

Friend's Friend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi friends! It's a pleasure to meet you all--this is my first time posting! :) (I also apologize if this is in the wrong spot!)

I'm looking for a bit of advice because it's been a rather hard year of my life and I don't want to project my own emotions on to my kitty.

In October 2017, I adopted an 8-year-old Maine Coon male from the humane society (and named him Friend, haha). I'm in the process of returning to graduate school, and between being in classes and hopefully working part-time (I now work full-time, but am mopping up my last two weeks due to ADA noncompliance on the part of my employers) . . . I worry about him being alone too much.

He plays if I instigate it, and on his own, but generally he sleeps in the bathroom sink or on my desk. He seems like a perfectly happy kitty now--he's had no behavioral issues whatsoever. The shelter originally told me that his owners were surrendering him because he started peeing in their baby's crib when they were pregnant, and it got worse when the baby arrived; they also remarked that he fought with their cats. I've had no litterbox issues whatsoever; when I was out of town for surgery, a friend with two adult cats watched Friend, and said--interestingly--that within a day he was interacting with her kitties just fine. He was okay when her other cat hissed at him for getting "his" attention; he allowed them to use his litterbox and eat his food; "He was the most chill cat I've ever met," was what my friend told me afterwards.

From my very human point of view, his being alone for an unknown time of day (~12 hours, maybe more--and then, of course, I have to sleep!) doesn't sound ideal. I'd like it if he were to have someone to keep him company and offer some social interaction. But I also know that a cat who sleeps on his back in the middle of the room and greets me by rolling over and over and over on the kitchen floor when I come home is a happy cat. I really don't want to mess up his life (or a kitten's) by assuming that he "needs" company when maybe he doesn't. But I also don't want to deny him something that might be really good for him.

And I also know that sometimes in these things we just have to give it a shot and see how it goes; there are no guarantees. Once I had a single cat (he was about 4 at the time) and introduced a female kitten; after a day of separation they were playing with each other, grooming each other, and ended up exceptionally close. I once had another cat who was a domineering soul and couldn't stand to have another cat around unless He Was The Boss. Friend seems much like the first cat--very mellow and laid back--which is why I have hopes that integrating a kitten would be successful.

Any thoughts?

Thank you so much for reading all of this!

Take care!
Friend's friend. <3

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: I've only ever had one cat at a time, so I don't have personal experience with multi-cat homes.

I think the main piece of advice is to do a thorough introduction between the resident cat and the newbie.

Here are some TCS articles with more info.

Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
The Multi-cat Household

Let us know if you adopt a second cat. Meanwhile, if you like, you can "formally" introduce yourself and Friend in our New Cats on the Block forum.
We love pictures, BTW. :camera:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Friend's Friend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi friend! Thank you for the warm welcome--and for all the informative links! :)

I've done so much research that I almost think I'm psyching myself out and thinking too much about it (not that the situation doesn't warrant careful consideration, of course). I've also introduced cats successfully before--but of course every kitty's different. <3 And Friend and I . . . we're buds. We have very similar personalities (right down to both of us having anxiety!). He's gotten me through a really difficult year, and I just . . . well, anyway, I'm torn between knowing if I'm doing the "right" amount of thinking or if I'm just projecting too much emotionally onto him (or letting my own fears color too much of my decision). ;)

Thank you again so very much!
Take care,
Friend's friend.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
You might think about taking a bit more time before getting another cat, because you'll be having your hands full with getting classes started up.

What you could do in the meantime is see if your furbud is interested in cat trees, platter style toys, real fur mice, watching out a window if available. If you have hardwood floors you could try a hexbug nano robot toy, just note that they don't work on carpet.

Also if you can, there are youtube and other webcams on birds and squirrels and dvd nature documentaries for cats you could set up that he might enjoy.

My Big Guy is one of those cats that benefits from being alone so maybe I'm biased but he loves his life now that he's with us.

Your cat sounds to me like he is totally content.

Friend's Friend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, friend!

Thank you so much for the input. :) Your last sentence really struck me . . . Unless he lets me know that he needs something different, via his behavior, then why should I assume he does? If he needs more stimulation, or a buddy, I have a feeling that he'll let me know.

He does enjoy the one window I have! But right now he's just sprawled on the floor across my feet, sleeping away. It's interesting . . . I've never had a cat his age before (aforementioned cats in the first post were either my stepmom's or a friend's), and I have to remind myself at at 8 years old, he's ready for retirement . . . He's a middle-aged gentleman who probably is content to just sleep his days away with a daily dose of cuddling.

Thank you so much for your help and words of wisdom! Sometimes hearing somebody else say it and getting out of my own head is tremendous.

<3
Dylan / Friend's friend.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Friend"...that is probably one of the best names ever! I like it =)
A few of my dogs know a neighbor of mine as simply "friend". If I say "Friend??", they rush to the door. Really cute!
That's what these guys are. Great friends. =)
I've had some dog experience in this situation, lesser so than cats. Our dog had bonded strictly with an older dog that eventually passed away and bonding with other dogs was never a "thing". We've dog-sat, we've fostered, and a very select few of these dogs he bonded with and seems/seemed visibly depressed when they left. The dogs he likes are usually the same age, same (neutered) sex, and are able to be kept away from them some of the time (no 24/7 contact). It's his preference.
Our cats OTOH vary, some of them insist on a new bud and a few of them ignore new cats/kittens like they're carriers of the bubonic plague.
It can be a tough call. On one hand, we want them to be relaxed and happy but OTOH we want them to be species-enriched and develop friendships and bonds with other cats, a species that understands them better than we can.
Cats are tricky. WAY trickier than dogs. Dogs love humans but also (usually) like the company of other dogs. Cats are very independent, but extremely loyal to those they consider "theirs" and are often more hostile to interlopers than dogs. Dogs get their feelings out of the way, cats don't always do this.

IF...and only IF...you were able to get a kitten or a cat, I would probably opt for a kitten or cat that was in a foster home and has a very non-one-sided personality profile from the foster home in hopes they go to the RIGHT family. The right cat or kitten would probably be accepted, provided they realize "Friend is the boss, Friend is the owner of all things, I'm a distant second in command, no problem bro..."
Separation can and often is mandatory, to provide relief to the older cat. The last kitten we brought in spent the night in a crate until she was 3 because the world was simply not ready for her Royal Highness's ways until she had matured. She was fed in this crate twice a day (door open) and would seek it out when she was tired.
Whatever you decide, I'm sure Friend will have the best retirement ever. =)

Tabbytha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, have you considered fostering to see how Friend goes?

We adopted our second cat after "foster failing" :)

We were convinced by the rescue group that it's better to have two cats instead of one, but honestly I now think they said that to ease the pressure on them and get us to adopt. In hindsight I think my first cat would be just as happy on his own.

good luck!

Friend's Friend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey their friends,

Thank you all for your advice and support!!

Believe me, I'd love nothing more than to foster kittens . . . but I live in a studio apartment, so even in terms of introducing two cats, the only option I have for separation is the walk-in closet / bathroom. It's not a supremely small studio, and I'd be sure to have lots of vertical space . . . but, sadly, not really enough room for fostering, I think.

After a week's worth of thought, for now I'm just going to put it on the backburner. As others have suggested, I'll probably have my hands full figuring out how to be a student again, haha. And Friend does seem very happy now. It sounds like his old home really stressed him out . . . so having peace and quiet and a place of his own is probably just what he wants right now. :) If he starts displaying "I'm bored!" behaviors then I'll revisit the idea (although of course getting a kitten would be for both of us!).

Much obliged, everyone. <3

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My advice about getting a second cat is that it is really for you, the human. I don't believe cats need other cats. This cat sounds like he is happy the way things are. Don't forget a lot of their day is spent sleeping, looking out windows, etc.
Getting another cat can back fire on you. It's gotta be the right cat combination for it to work. I learned that the hard way.

Friend's Friend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely! <3 If I were to get a second cat, I'd make sure that their personality matched with Friend's and mine. :) Thanks for the thoughts, friend!