When to expect active labor?

thyrajlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! My cat Smokey mated sometime around the middle of April - the male cat has since been neutered & I plan on having her spayed after all of this!
We noticed her nipples had pinked up and had hairless circles by the second week of May, her appetite also increased & her stomach started to look more round.
On Wednesday (6/12) I had gone onto my porch and she would not stop meowing at me until I came back inside and followed her to the attic closet (where she’s been nesting), since then she will not let me out of her sight.
On Thursday (6/13) I noticed a small amount of pinkish discharge & she was a bit more clingy that day & Friday, her appetite also decreased a bit. She’s been cleaning herself and stomach very intensely since, I’ve also noticed that her stomach sometimes twitches when she’s sleeping so much that it wakes her up meowing or looking at me like I touched her belly.
Yesterday around 11:30AM she passed a large amount of discharge, could this be her mucus plug? (Photo attached)
Today she’s been about the same - her appetite is fluctuating but she’s still eating and drinking. She’s been resting a lot but doesn’t seem lethargic. I believe she’s dropping or may have dropped as she doesn’t look as round when she’s walking now & her stomach feels a more firm. Since Thursday she’s had a little bit more discharge, today it’s getting a little bit more red - I was worried but read that this can happen as labor gets closer.

When should I be expecting her to go into active labor? I know there’s no way for me to really know but at what point should I be contacting a vet?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Apparently its very close now, she has even dropped. Its usually about 2 days after dropping.

As far sounds normal - even as you notice, you dont know the exact hour, and its a waiting.

During the time, give her calcium rich food or fluids, whatever you have at home and she takes. Cant hurt, may help.
Because low level of calcium may cause weak labor.

That discharge on photo is prob her mucus plug, even if it looks as more solid than just a thick gele... IF there is something I worry about, so its this.
But as her pregnancy proceeds perfectly normal, I wouldnt worry too much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thyrajlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Apparently its very close now, she has even dropped. Its usually about 2 days after dropping.

As far sounds normal - even as you notice, you dont know the exact hour, and its a waiting.

During the time, give her calcium rich food or fluids, whatever you have at home and she takes. Cant hurt, may help.
Because low level of calcium may cause weak labor.

That discharge on photo is prob her mucus plug, even if it looks as more solid than just a thick gele... IF there is something I worry about, so its this.
But as her pregnancy proceeds perfectly normal, I wouldnt worry too much.
Thank you so much!!!
Last night she had a large bowel movement and was straining a little, she kept cleaning herself/being restless until I sat with her and rubbed her belly.
She’s been having some visible contracting of her vagina since then but no other signs of straining/discomfort, fingers crossed it’s soon!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always go by watching and observing the little mother to be. If she is acting pretty normal, not yowling, hiding, acting distressed, everything is normal. If she is actively straining, and you see 'ripples' or contractions down mher sides and abdomen, and nothing happens in 2-3 hours, call your vet. it would be good to try to video her actions and email or send them to the vet. Everything sounds normal so far, so as long as she is not panting and showing signs of being distressed, just try to comfrot her the best you can. Please keep us informed. All the luck!

thyrajlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I always go by watching and observing the little mother to be. If she is acting pretty normal, not yowling, hiding, acting distressed, everything is normal. If she is actively straining, and you see 'ripples' or contractions down mher sides and abdomen, and nothing happens in 2-3 hours, call your vet. it would be good to try to video her actions and email or send them to the vet. Everything sounds normal so far, so as long as she is not panting and showing signs of being distressed, just try to comfrot her the best you can. Please keep us informed. All the luck!
Thank you so much!!
She just had some minnows and a chicken heart, I’ve been leaving goats milk out for her but she’s not super interested/prefers plain water. I’m gonna grab some kitten formula soon and leave that out for her as well to try to increase her calcium intake as much as possible!
This morning she’s not showing signs of discomfort & isn’t as restless as last night, she’s still actively cleaning herself & having small vaginal opening contractions but besides that all is well!

thyrajlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That sounds good, and normal. There is ALWAYS an unending wait! Try to get some goats milk in her, it wouldn't hurt and is very nutritious.
She just had about half a bowls worth!!! I diluted it a little more for her and she went crazy for it now she’s curled up in my armpit resting :)

thyrajlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
6/17 5:30PM Update - she’s a bit more skittish in the main rooms of the house but is still acting as normal! She’s been resting a lot but is still eating and drinking, she’s had a little more pink discharge come out but the visible vaginal contractions calmed down - I think things were starting to move around last night & that’s why she was opening & closing a little bit.
Hoping they start up again sometime tonight! I’d like to take her to get a scan to make sure she’s not experiencing a phantom pregnancy but she gets so anxious when I take her out of the house and if she actually is going into active labor soon I don’t want to stress her out.
I forgot to mention earlier that she’s also acting a bit strange towards the father. Usually when he comes into the attic she moves to higher places and growls so I always pick him up to take him back downstairs but now she gets so excited when I do! She runs up to me with big eyes trying to sniff and clean him, I’m wondering if she could think that he is her kitten or another way of nesting? He has a very squeaky meow and when he makes noise when I’m carrying him she comes running. She doesn’t act like this towards him downstairs though only in the attic it’s so strange.
I’ll update again before bed or if anything else happens! Thank you everyone for all the help & support!!! Smokey & I appreciate it so much!! :catlove:

Attachments

thyrajlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
6/17 10:45PM Update - might be happening soon!!!
Around 10 she started to get a little more reserved, she got up to have a bite or two of food before laying back down. I checked on her at 10:15 & she had some more discharge & vaginal contractions (it looks like her vagina is slightly clenching open and shut)
She’s sitting next to me now, I tried to pet her belly/chin cus that calmed her down last night/she melted into it but she just seemed irritated by it so I’m just keeping her company & any eye out for anything else!
I’ll hopefully have another update soon!!!

thyrajlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
6/18 8:30AM Update - nothing yet!
The clenching ended up stopping shortly after last nights updates and she went back to accepting my pets & sleeping peacefully.
This morning she’s had half a chicken heart and a some high protein tiki cat & is very frisky! She just settled down a little to have some goat milk.
I’ll update again tonight but hopefully it’s sooner with good news! :heartshape:

thyrajlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope so too! the waiting is too much, I can't imagine what it is like for you!
It feels endless!! She definitely looks like she’s fully dropped though & her nipples look a little fuller at the base!! She’s still being a bit reserved with pets & how close she wants to be to me but is eating a decent amount & still following when I leave the room.
I’m gonna set up a few more clean blankets & towels in some new spots that she’s been going to - we’re expecting nice weather today and tomorrow so the attic will be nice and toasty for her :lovecat:

thyrajlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
6/19 6AM Update - still nothing! She’s still eating & drinking & spending most of the day resting.
Last night when we were in the main part of the house my mom started to pet her & she was still being reserved but once my mom stopped she rolled over to show her belly & put her paws up to stretch - she usually only acts like that downstairs/sweet to my mom when she’s in heat.
When we were in the attic she did scoot her booty a little weird when she went to get up, it kinda looked like she was gonna drag her butt on the floor but didn’t.
Hoping those are more signs of some hormone changes! I attached some pictures of her, her nipples & discharge from this morning.
I haven’t been able to feel much movement but also I’ve avoided touching her stomach too much throughout her pregnancy cus I read it can hurt the babies so at most I rest my hand on her/try to feel anything when she allows pets.
I’m pretty sure I felt something on Sunday night, I thought they were gas bubbles at first then felt two strong tiny taps. Is a lot of movement always common before labor and birth? She is very petite, could a smaller litter be less visible to see or feel cus she’s less full?
She’s still acting completely fine I’m just worried about her health if she is experiencing a phantom pregnancy or preparing for stillbirths, I know I’m probably overthinking & a vet/tests would be the best/only option for more information but are there any specific signs I should be looking for to know it’s heading that route?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wonder if she really has NOT dropped for real. IF so, these small contractions you saw, are the Braxton Hicks contraction, whom usually happens before dropping, and with about 1 week to go...

Because although everything looks normal, but it seems to be long after the dropping you wrote about, and still nothing happens.

Are you giving her calcium rich fluids / foods?

thyrajlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wonder if she really has NOT dropped for real. IF so, these small contractions you saw, are the Braxton Hicks contraction, whom usually happens before dropping, and with about 1 week to go...

Because although everything looks normal, but it seems to be long after the dropping you wrote about, and still nothing happens.

Are you giving her calcium rich fluids / foods?
I think the contractions I saw on Sunday night were Braxton Hicks ones!! & I agree I don’t think she had dropped when I originally posted saying so, she seems much more narrow now compared to then.
I think she is actually dropped now though, I’ll attach a photo of her standing - she doesn’t even look pregnant anymore! She was never super big but she looked more round/full on the sides prior to yesterday. Now I can really only see her fullness when she cleans herself.
I’ve been giving her as much goat milk and tiki cat high protein as she likes as well as a few chicken hearts a day!! I read that the hearts have a nice amount of calcium but I’m gonna grab some kitten dry & wet food for her too. Do you recommend anything else?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, heart do contain some extra calcium. Not any whopping amounts, but more calcium than other meats.

Good you confirmed my suspiction... So NOW we could rectyfie the count, and it should be 1-2 days to go, not more.

thyrajlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, heart do contain some extra calcium. Not any whopping amounts, but more calcium than other meats.

Good you confirmed my suspiction... So NOW we could rectyfie the count, and it should be 1-2 days to go, not more.
What would be the best option for a source of calcium? I’ve been keeping a bowl of water next to the goats milk so she wouldn’t get tired of it - should I remove the water bowl and only have goats milk or KMR out? Or keep that set up and just give kitten wet & dry food as well?

So exciting!!! She was acting a little reserved still yesterday but last night she curled into my chest asking for pets.
I do believe she had dropped on Tuesday or at least started to, should I be going by then or yesterday for the 1-2 day count?
If she doesn’t have them today or tomorrow should I bring her to an emergency vet no matter how she’s doing or allow her the weekend if she still doesn’t show any signs of distress?
She will be going to the vet after this no matter what I just don’t want to put unnecessary stress on her if her body’s is just going by its own clock & she’s not exhibiting any signs of discomfort/pain.