When to change the litter when de-worming?

gunner19

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Recently I dewormed both the Solaman and the kitten in case the new kitten had worms. We used liquid panacur. The vet never said to change the litter or anything so it didn't occur to us to do it, in hindsight I think we should have. Since the treatment two weeks ago both the kitten and Solaman have had explosive liquidy type stool. I took Solaman to the vet on Friday because he had been throwing up green bile the day and night before. I told the vet about the litter/deworming thing and he said it probably wasn't the problem. He gave him a check up, ran a blood pannel, a shot of ani-inflamitory and antibiotics. He suspected an obstruction but wanted to wait to do further testing till the blood tests came back. All the tests came back normal and he has since stopped throwing up. His appetite has not returned though he is eating and drinking very little. To make a long story short do you think the vet should have just tested for worms? Do you think he would have stopped throwing up if it was and obstruction? Today I decided I use what was left of the Panacur and deworm both boys again. I gave them each a dose and then bleached the litter boxes and put fresh litter in them. So when should I change the litter again? They are supposed to have the panacur three days in a row. I just want my poopy boys to feel better!!! I'm going to call the vet in the morning but I'd love some of the catsite magic and experienced advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gunner19

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I brought a stool sample to the vet today and he said he didn't see any worm eggs. He was puzzled because he was able to see some white unidentifiable fiber. Maybe the are getting into something and eating it but I just don't know what. So they have be put into the laundry room for quarentine. The vet also gave me Alabon? liquid to give them in case it is a very small protozan that is at the root of the problem. Honeslty I think I'll hold onto the Alabon to see if putting them in the laundry room helps in case they are eating something they aren't supposed to be eating. I feel so helpless that we don't know whats wrong with them.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry, I can't offer much advice, since the cats we've had have never had worms (though I always worm before shots). JC had bloody diarrhea when he was nine months old after drinking out of our pond (the dog next door had it, too). The diagnosis was typhoid fever, and he got antibiotics. I bought really cheap clumping litter at a discount store, scooped 2 - 3 times a day, and changed the litter and steam-cleaned the litterbox every day for about two weeks. The vet later told me that was overkill.