When should I stop feeding my kitten unlimited food?

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Sorry for posting so much; Corona, anxiety and restlessness don't really go hand in hand 😿

Anyway, my kitten Malibu will be 10 months old on 9th July and she currently weighs 3.40kg/7.5lbs. I've always been told to feed kittens as much as they want until around 12 months but I feel like she's getting a bit on the chub side. Will she have a growth spurt up until 1? I can feel her spine and ribs moderately well but she has that typical primordial pouch and she's spayed so not sure if that's why she may seem more rounder?

Do I keep feeding her as much as she wants or reduce to two times a day?
I've attached some photos of Malibu; I know its hard to tell from pictures but would love your advice. Thank you.
20200429_185735.jpg
20200321_132506.jpg
20200415_205440.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... what a beautiful girl. Love her markings. :hearthrob:

About feeding her, I've also heard "as much as they want" till they're a year old. Of course, there might be some cats who stop growing earlier, but generally younger cats are more active, so need more food.

Is she cleaning up every speck of food you feed her? Maybe use that as a guide, plus also the guideline on the packaging or website of the food you are feeding her.

Maybe something in these TCS articles will be helpful:

What Do I Need To Know About Feeding My Cat?
How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat?
How To Choose The Right Food For Your Cat
Choosing The Right Food For Your Cat – Part 2

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with what rubysmama rubysmama says: if Malibu is continuing to eat everything, I'd keep feeding her what you're feeding her. I probably would anyway since she's still well under a year old. Unless she's getting really chunky.

And please don't apologize for lots of posts, Paris Pluto Paris Pluto , this is a really rough time. I hope your cats are helping you through it, despite worries about their care! ❤

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Do I keep feeding her as much as she wants or reduce to two times a day?
At 10 months old, your kitty is still very much a kitten. At this age, she’s going through a growth spurt and may last well past her 1 year old.

Kittens eat lots as they are very active and they burn out calories very fast. Feed her as much as she can eat at one sitting several times a day (that is if you are feeding her wet food as wet food is full of nutrients and proteins and are real meat).

Once they past their adult age of one year (normal breeds, bigger breeds mature between 2 - 4 years) her food intake will taper down. And as she age, she’ll eat less than when she’s a kitten.

rubysmama rubysmama gave you very good links to read.

BTW, your kitty is very beautiful :redheartpump: :hearthrob:

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous kitty! Looks very healthy and her weight also looks just as it should be.
Minish was also spayed before 1 yr. it reduces the metabolism so she may get overweight. Like suggestions above, I kept feeding her as much as she wanted until 1 year old although she gained some weight. As long as in the healthy range I think it's ok. After 1 year she gained much faster and her appetite never ceased. I know many spayed neutered cats that leave food if they feel full and are ideal weight. I hope Malibu will be like that.
Not Minish though, she gulps everyhing whe finds. and asks for more. probably because she was starving as baby.
Weight gain is incremental you can manage when the time comes. 5 year old, we still dont agree with Minish on her rations. If you keep firm on the new routine, things won't go out of hand, no worries :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww... what a beautiful girl. Love her markings. :hearthrob:

About feeding her, I've also heard "as much as they want" till they're a year old. Of course, there might be some cats who stop growing earlier, but generally younger cats are more active, so need more food.

Is she cleaning up every speck of food you feed her? Maybe use that as a guide, plus also the guideline on the packaging or website of the food you are feeding her.

Maybe something in these TCS articles will be helpful:

What Do I Need To Know About Feeding My Cat?
How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat?
How To Choose The Right Food For Your Cat
Choosing The Right Food For Your Cat – Part 2
rubysmama rubysmama thank you once again for a great response. She actually never fully finishes all her wet food.There's always at least 2 teaspoons leftover but she does enjoy her kibble in between wet food. I will peruse all the links you provided thank you so much! 💖

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with what rubysmama rubysmama says: if Malibu is continuing to eat everything, I'd keep feeding her what you're feeding her. I probably would anyway since she's still well under a year old. Unless she's getting really chunky.

And please don't apologize for lots of posts, Paris Pluto Paris Pluto , this is a really rough time. I hope your cats are helping you through it, despite worries about their care! ❤
Aww thank you so much for the reassurance and for answering to my thread! My girls are literally all I have 💜

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I'll say that I think females mature faster than males and she may be done growing. If she's getting chubby I'd probably go to timed meals, but feed her all she wants at those meals. Starting with 3 or 4 meals a day might be best until she adjusts.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cat was a kitten she only ate a 6 oz can because she was more interested in playing!

Maybe it was can and 1/2 dont remember. Now she eats too fast and throws up. 7 pds

Last edited: