When Should I Introduce My 4 Month Old Kitten To My Outdoor/indoor Cat?

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I am just wondering when it was safe for me to introduce my 4 month old kitten to my resident 9 year old indoor/outdoor cat?

I’ve been keeping them on separate floors since I rescued my kitten, but he just finished his last round of the core vaccines last week. He has not gotten the rabies, FeLV, FIV, FIP and other vaccinations. Is it safe to introduce the two to each other now, or is there still a chance he could get a disease?

He is FeLV negative.

Thank you in advance!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! I would wait until after your kitten is vaccinated before introducing him to your indoor/outdoor cat, just to be on the safe side, but, I would check with the vet, and if they say it’s ok to introduce them already, then it’s safe to go ahead.

Is your older cat vaccinated against FeLV?

And, just as a BTW, this article is extremely helpful in explaining cat introductions: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That said the core vaccine is the usual. Rabies in countries where rabies happens.

The other vaccines are more if there is need for them.

If the cat ever comes astray it eill test as felv+, while he really is vaccinated....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I would wait until after your kitten is vaccinated before introducing him to your indoor/outdoor cat, just to be on the safe side, but, I would check with the vet, and if they say it’s ok to introduce them already, then it’s safe to go ahead.

Is your older cat vaccinated against FeLV?

And, just as a BTW, this article is extremely helpful in explaining cat introductions: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Thank you!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That said the core vaccine is the usual. Rabies in countries where rabies happens.

The other vaccines are more if there is need for them.

If the cat ever comes astray it eill test as felv+, while he really is vaccinated....
Okay, thanks that makes sense!