When Safe To Reintroduce Male Neutered Cat?

Thesaint117

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! My male cat has been neutered hitting 10 days ago now. Problem is I'll be travelling for 2 months for work purposes in 11 days and have a un-spayed female cat which will be taken care of together.
They have been kept seperate till now (vet said a 7 days is ok) and after being reintroduced (and the female attacking the male often) not signs of interests has been built between them (as when heat signs did happen in January they were seperated for 4 months.)

However today she has gone into heat today and the male has gone a bit vocal making creaking meow sounds, following her and has tried to mount a few times.

They are both indoor cats and will be taken care if in the same time home while I travel. Would they be ok to be together, or shall I seperate them for longer? As due to timings & costs I'm not able to get her spayed till I return back after the trip now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thesaint117

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes she will be sorted on return, had a talk with the vet and booked an appointment in

Thesaint117

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also would like to ask, is it better to wait after she's done with her heat session after I return? (That's if she's in it)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can ask your vet what they’d prefer. Most are ok with spaying while in heat.

Are you able to keep the cats separated?

Thesaint117

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am able to for now... but won't be able to after 9 days as I'm travelling, still looking to arrange someone to take care if them but it will be difficult for them to monitor them both.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then I think you might need to get her spayed before you go, or have the vet board one of the cats. You can’t have him mating her the whole time you’re gone.

Thesaint117

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's been neutered, she hasn't been yet, and they both live indoor only.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand. That said, she will still be going into heat, and your male’s hormones haven’t left his body yet. He will still be fertile and interested in mating. You cannot leave them.