When pop culture changes things....forever (fun thread).

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you were alive at any point in the 90's (and on), I don't think you can hear this song...

and not think of this dance.

Some of you may not even know why you know this dance and think of it if you hear this song. When I was a kid, I always thought that the dance was because of the music video, but nope, Fresh Prince is responsible for changing it....forever.

Do you have any......"When pop culture changes things....forever" examples?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And of course this......

If you hear this, you're mind can't help but think of space or something epic, a "eureka!" moment of sorts. This was originally written in 1896 but, of course it's thanks to the 1968 movie, 2001 : A Space Odyssey, that gave this classical piece a resurgence in popularity. And now, it will forever be used if you're floating in space and see the sun cresting over the earth, or a fantastical event or moment has just taken place. ;)

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And of course this......

If you hear this, you're mind can't help but think of space or something epic, a "eureka!" moment of sorts. This was originally written in 1896 but, of course it's thanks to the 1968 movie, 2001 : A Space Odyssey, that gave this classical piece a resurgence in popularity. And now, it will forever be used if you're floating in space and see the sun cresting over the earth, or a fantastical event or moment has just taken place. ;)
Actually, I was overseas in '68, so the first encounter I had with that music was in '70, as a part of the soundtrack for The Strawberry Statement.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, I was overseas in '68, so the first encounter I had with that music was in '70, as a part of the soundtrack for The Strawberry Statement.
Do you mind showing me or describing the scene in which this songs plays in the movie?

It was widely used in many films and television after and still to this day, and pretty much always in a "this is a big moment/realization" type scene, whether in a comedic or dramatic sense.
I wasn't even born yet in 68 (or 70 for that matter), and I've never even seen Space Odyssey, but it doesn't change the fact that it was that movie that brought the song back to life and when you hear it, you think "Oh, here it comes.....TA! DA! or WOW!" :lol:
From a pop culture standpoint, Space Odyssey is THE movie that is responsible for it's most widely recognized and interpreted use for the song.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I. . .don't know, haha. I didn't grow up stateside so I have very little understanding of American pop culture from the '80s and '90s. On the other hand, pop culture is probably the biggest influence on culture altogether. Is there a way to quantify how much Seinfeld (for instance) affected modern culture?

Looney Tunes probably did the most to associate classical music bits with certain actions/scenes. Silent movies before that.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looney Tunes probably did the most to associate classical music bits with certain actions/scenes.
You mean like this one?

I know this is where my brain goes when I hear this classical piece LOL!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you mind showing me or describing the scene in which this songs plays in the movie?

It was widely used in many films and television after and still to this day, and pretty much always in a "this is a big moment/realization" type scene, whether in a comedic or dramatic sense.
I wasn't even born yet in 68 (or 70 for that matter), and I've never even seen Space Odyssey, but it doesn't change the fact that it was that movie that brought the song back to life and when you hear it, you think "Oh, here it comes.....TA! DA! or WOW!" :lol:
From a pop culture standpoint, Space Odyssey is THE movie that is responsible for it's most widely recognized and interpreted use for the song.
The two central characters go into a music store, and he hands her a set of headphones, and they each listen to that particular music. The scene only lasted a few minutes. The movie was a boy-meets-girl at the campus anti-war demonstrations. Sorry, but after 50-some years, that's the best I can do.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of Looney Tunes, the pronunciation of the word "despicable" is actually DES-pic-able. Daffy Duck is saying it incorrectly, but so many people's first exposure to the word was from watching him as children. Consequently, the "correct" pronunciation has changed. We all say it like Daffy.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about this one.
Sesame Street has been watched in almost all homes with young children at some point. And we all know the main muppets on the show (Big Bird, Oscar, Grover, Cookie Monster, Kermit, etc...
But it was not until this toy....
1579293522308.png

...that Elmo became Mr. Popularity, with his face all over everything "kid".
I highly doubt that anyone can here this....(even if they never watched Sesame Street)

and not know who they are hearing. I think he may have one of today's most recognizable laughs. All I know is I would love to find all those toys and have a bon fire! LOL!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol made popular by Grey's Anatomy.

Or this scene from Twilight which made this song famous (although it was a great song before Twilight)

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was born at the very end of the '90s but my cousins were 90s children, so I got to hear a lot of these growing up in the early 2000s!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Do you mean like Bohemian Rhapsody being associated with Wayne's World now?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you mean like Bohemian Rhapsody being associated with Wayne's World now?
Totally! That's how I was first introduced to that song, that I remember. I'm sure I heard it before but now anytime I hear it, I feel like I have to head bang at the instrumental part like in the movie.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and I can't hear Foxy Lady without picturing Garth hip thrusting! LOL!