When my cat dies some day, is there a skinning service?

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would like to at least keep the skin and the fur of my cat.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my! I guess I would lean toward taking a cast of my cat's paws, cut some hair to keep, and attach my favorite pictures to make a memorial, along with her cremation remains - maybe even a painting.

I couldn't stand having my cat's fur/skin looming about like those who do so with trophy animals. But, yes you could at least consult with a taxidermist about if it is legal to do so with a pet, if you so choose to go that route.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
L lemcat oh my ... im sorry but that just sounds morbid to me and i rather derhave her foot print in clay or a picture of her instead
I agree. Back in 1989 it became popurlar for people to take their pets to a taxidermist to be stuffed when their pets died. Around that time my sweet little poodle was dying and I knew it was just a matter of time before I had to have her put to sleep. One morning I was at work and we were watching GMA and they did a segment about it. I got so upset I had to leave the break room. My co-workers starting in on me to have Fancy stuffed when she died. I thought that was so morbid and it was something I knew I could never do. It would just be a constant reminder that Fancy was dead. I never kept my cats ashes either for the same reason. I have pictures of them and that's all I need to remember them by.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Op's not asking for "opinions" on what they wish to do with their cat when they die. Op's asking on where to go and who to ask for help with it.

L lemcat - A taxidermist would probably be a good place to start, or perhaps if you don't have a taxidermist near by, a leather/shoe/belt repair shop may point you in the right direction. You could also contact a hunting/trapping association near you or even depending on where you live, you may be able to find a native gift shop that sells hand made moccasins and furs and they could maybe put you in touch with someone who knows about pelt preservation.

On a side note.....I would recommend you use the term "pelt preservation" rather than "skinning" moving forward....just a thought. :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never even really considered it but recently I became aware of a local shop that specializes in pelts and skulls, and advertises that they handle pets. Which might be interesting. I like skulls, though I don't know how I'd feel if I knew the skull's previous occupier.

Anyway they call themselves an oddity shop, so you could try that search term.

Kellster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some taxidermists also freeze dry pets. It looks similar to taxidermy, my the cat/dog is 100% intact.

I had my first cat freeze dried in a sleeping position when he passed.

The good point was I could always see and pet him. The down sides were the fact that he still was gone, I could still see the stitches from his last cancer surgery, and lastly, people making fun of it.

I finally had him cremated when my next one passed.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The closest I've come to anything like that is collecting my cat's fur whenever I brush. The theory is that I'll learn to felt and make a little felted statue of my gorgeous girl/boy.
Every time I use the Furbinator on Juno I think about doing something similar. It seems like such a waste to throw out such nice soft fur. But then I remember my Drawer of Unfinished Projects and go for the dustbin.

Kellster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I meant to say "It looks similar to taxidermy, BUT the cat/dog is 100% intact."

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Every time I use the Furbinator on Juno I think about doing something similar. It seems like such a waste to throw out such nice soft fur. But then I remember my Drawer of Unfinished Projects and go for the dustbin.
I know this is going off-topic, but I really need to say that birds love cat hair for their nests. I used to leave it out on the trees for them. I found a miner bird nest lined with grey cat hair. :)

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 435817
Hey Lemcat! I am in no way suggesting this to you, but, as Mani is mentioning other things, I thought it’d be OK. This is a lovely glass ball with cat’s ashes swirled inside. (on Etsy). Good luck finding what you are looking for. 1AF1DCF4-E9E9-4CA2-829D-67DDC9B47696.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some taxidermists also freeze dry pets. It looks similar to taxidermy, my the cat/dog is 100% intact.

I had my first cat freeze dried in a sleeping position when he passed.

The good point was I could always see and pet him. The down sides were the fact that he still was gone, I could still see the stitches from his last cancer surgery, and lastly, people making fun of it.

I finally had him cremated when my next one passed.
How much did it cost to freeze dry him?