When is third eyelid a concern?

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there

I just learned about the third eyelid in cats today. So I checked my kitty to see if I could see hers, and if Im understanding correctly, I can. So I went back through her photos since I’ve gotten her and it seems like she’s had her third eyelid showing pretty much the entirety of the time I’ve had her. Some photos r clearer than others, where you can see more of it...but long story short-is Any visibility of the third eyelid a concern? Or do some cats just have more of it than others? I’ve attached a photo of her, best I could find with clear eye view, what do you all think?

Other than one food allergies fit issue that we’ve resolved 4 months ago , she’s eaten and played and pooped per the usually the entire time I’ve had her.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
While I am not a vet, the pic of your pretty little cat looks quite normal. At least in my experience, when the third eyelid comes out, it is very noticeable and usually accompanied by a strong hunch that there is an eye issue or an overall general health issue. Personally, I don't mess with third eyelid issues if I see them and always consult the vet, but your cat looks okay. If you have concerns though that the pic does not really show or if it comes and goes in appearance, call the vet.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it is normal for her to have a little third eye showing, then it is normal. The resting place will vary for all cats a little and coloring of the third eyelid vs coloring of the cat can impact how well you see it too. My Moms cat is solid black and his third eyelid is also black. It blends in with his fur so that you can't really tell it's there.

20201117_193742.jpg

My cat has huge blue eyes but dark fur around her eyes, making the third eyelid more noticeable.

20201209_053129.jpg

But a sliver of eyelid is normal. It's only if it is out more or if it starts impacting vision that it is an issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think she looks normal too but since she’s my first cat ever I don’t have much of a reference range. The third eyelid that is “showing” is not obvious by any means and I’ve always just thought it was the whites of her eyes (like humans) but when I discovered the “third eyelid” anatomical part today, I googled cats eyes and apparently there’s not whites in cats eyes. So just thought I asked.

I ordered some immune support supplements for her today, just in case and called the vet -we’re schedule for next Monday, but I might cancel depending on what you all have to say. It seems normal to me, but then again inexperience. I also don’t want to pay the vet money for them to just tell me that’s how cats r supposed to look 😂😂 and then I feel dumb AND less money.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks normal to me. Can you send your photos via email to the vet and see what he/she thinks?

For reference, this is what third eyelid up looks like. Excuse the drool. This was a rough time for Krista. She had her third eyelid up because her eardrum was ruptured. But she also had multiple tooth extractions the day before.
IMG_0818.JPG