When is my cat going into labour?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aydivirsa

Mimi's Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm trying to plan how to take her. (Probably pull that wardrobe away verrrry slowly). She's been quiet for 20 minutes now. I can see her tail changed position - that's my only assurance that she's moving.

aydivirsa

Mimi's Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
1.5 hours later: Mama cat is back on my bed and sleeping soundly. There's a ring of bloody fur around her vulva. I can feel at least one fetus moving in her belly but can't hear the sound of anything from the wardrobe. Too hesitant to move the wardrobe to check - what if I squish a newborn? Is it possible for mama cat to leave a newborn and go a short distance away to get some sleep?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom should not leave a newborn alone on a cold floor. Kittens cannot regulate their own body temperature the first 3 weeks and need a heat source such as a heating pad or hot water bottle wrapped in a towel for when mom takes breaks. They need to nurse frequently as well.

You really need to check behind the wardrobe, and mom needs a vet as clearly something isn’t right.

aydivirsa

Mimi's Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Checked under the wardrobe; there's nothing. Mama cat is still sleeping with only one break for the litter box. I'm just waiting for the vet's hours to start.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are things today? How is mom? Have you been to the vet yet?

aydivirsa

Mimi's Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Edit: I typed this all out and didn't press Post!

Update: I was advised to wait for 36 hours from the start of labour before bringing her in, since this is her first litter and it could take that long. It's now 2 AM here (25 hours now). She'd been crying off and on the whole day, but mostly sleeping. Didn't eat much. Around 10PM she
has started straining in earnest again - moving herself forward with the force with which she's pushing behind. Still no sign of anything coming out of her though. She does keep roaming around the house between groans, wanting to stay in whichever room we are.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Call that vet back or take her to a different vet since she's had unproductive labor for over 24 hours. That could mean a kitten is stuck or something else is going on which is causing her problems. Her life and the kittens are all in danger at this point.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Absolutely! She needs a vet if she is pushing with no success. I can only say the same thing — a kitten is stuck or something else is not right. She may need a C-section.

aydivirsa

Mimi's Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think I'll have to take her to another vet, once it's morning here. Thank you both for your advice and support!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is there an emergency vet available tonight? Where are you located? It sounds as though she needs help now.

aydivirsa

Mimi's Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Chennai, India. No animal hospitals within easy driving distance. She's also never reacted well to a carrier and a car, so I hesitate to agitate her further. There's a clinic somewhat nearby that opens up at 7.30 AM, I'll probably take her there. Another 5 hours!

aydivirsa

Mimi's Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. They are far away, but I found another 24 hr hospital nearer to me. I'm making arrangements to go.

aydivirsa

Mimi's Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been a long couple of days.

Last morning, just as we were arranging for a car to take Mimi to the hospital (we don't have a car of our own) she started pushing out a sac. We put our plans on hold - I didn't want to move her mid-birth. About 30 minutes later, I noticed a kitten almost completely out of her. She was apathetic, not making the final push - and the kitten was unmoving. I tried taking the kitten to her in the sac, and she turned away. I cleaned away the sac with a damp washcloth and tried rubbing its belly and such for about 10 minutes, but no reaction. It was stillborn. We disposed of the baby (making sure she saw us taking it away).

We waited another hour to see if she started straining with the next one, but there was nothing beyond some bloody discharge. Then we finally took her to the hospital, where they tried different methods for the next 2 hours - first Oxytocin for contractions, then sedation so that they could pull out the next kitten with forceps (and some hook-like tool!). Neither worked - they declared the next kitten was dead too, and it kept slipping back into the birth canal despite their tools. Our baby was in a lot of pain from their manual intervention - it tore at my heart to hold her down. The xray had shown two kittens staying in her, but they cautioned us that the other one was likely dead too, because it had been so long.

They finally decided on a c-section and a simultaneous spaying. It took three long hours for anasthesia, prep, surgery and suturing. They confirmed that all kittens were dead and she had been spayed. We finally took her home late in the evening.

She took over 12 hours to start moving after the anasthesia, and even now she's staying in her bed, only turning her head around to look at people when they speak. She stays in her bed - I've been feeding her spoonfuls of milk or water. She has gone two days with no proper food and is really weak. I haven't heard a single meow out of her since before the surgery.

We'll be taking her every 3 days for the next 10 days to check her dressings. I really hope she recovers well.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! This is what I feared all along. I’m sorry for all your cat has been through.

She needs pain meds. Insist that she be given pain meds for a few days that you can give at home at proper intervals. She is very sore in both her vaginal area from being prodded and from being cut for her spay, so her recovery will take longer. Pain meds will allow her body to rest and heal better.

Ask the vet to give her sub-q fluids also so that she stays hydrated. Giving her small amounts of sugar or honey water will help also. She will begin eating again as soon as her acute pain subsides.

Please keep us posted as to her progress with recovery and healing.

aydivirsa

Mimi's Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
3 hours later and she's made her wobbly way out of her basket all the way to the next room where we usually keep her litter box. She's exhausted from the effort though, and probably realised that she couldn't climb over the rim. Ended up peeing on the floor just next to it.

They did prescribe pain meds, which we are giving her twice a day. Thank you for the tip about the sugar / honey water. I'll give her some the next time she wants water.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Take a box and cut down the sides low and put a bit of litter in it for her to use. Make sure the sides are easy to step over for her, especially for her back feet as she may not want to pick them up very high as she's had a lot going on back there, and it likely hurts to move them. Put this litter box close to where she's resting along with some food and water, so she doesn't need to walk very far as she's exhausted already. Check in on her regularly and give her time.