When Is It Time To Switch Foods/flavors?

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Or "How does your cat say, 'I'm totally meh about this food now; bring on something new!'?"

Sylvie is still eating her breakfast variety (Rawz rabbit) with gusto, but in the past couple of days she's been just so-so about her dinner variety (Rawz duck, from the same case as before). She will still eat it if she knows nothing else is forthcoming, but I'm thinking maybe it's time to move a new food into the rotation in the dinner position.

Is 2-3 days of a "meh" reaction enough to warrant a change? To be clear, there are no signs of this being a health or food-quality issue, just garden-variety boredom and pickiness.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally prefer to switch it up before they get a chance to be bored. Its better that way. If I wait until they reach boredom then they wont be willing to eat the food again for a long time which is no good.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd say switch if she seems bored..
We switch ours constantly - they might get one of the same brand every day....usually Hound and Gatos or FF, since that's what I have most of right now....but others in the pantry are Petcurrean GO, Koha, First Mate, Pride by Instinct and Boreal which we have never tried. This is the fewest brands I've ever had - normally I have more but none of the others were on sale/I'm trying to control myself better. :D

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats are pickier about their canned foods than their raw foods so I never feed the same canned food two days in a row, even when there are leftovers. Meaning that it's almost always time to switch things! ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A few nights ago I fed Sylvie some Primal pork nuggets for dinner instead of the Rawz duck. I thought it would help stave off boredom, but perhaps it fueled it instead. Now she knows there are "off-menu" options available!

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tonight's dinner is a past fave, Wellness Beef & Salmon. We're on Dinner Part 2 now and Sylvie appears to be enjoying it immensely! Guess she really did need a change.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This morning after she had finished her half-can of Rawz rabbit, she came around asking for more. Instead of opening another can, I mashed and rehydrated half a nugget of Primal pork, and that was enough to satisfy her.

She certainly seems to have a healthy appetite these days, as long as the menu strikes her fancy!