When is it time to say goodbye?

dan7800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My grandfather was 100 years old and one of my best friends. When he was very sick and there wasn't any hope, I sat by is hospital bed for days praying for him to die and his suffering to end. When he finally passed it was a relief.

I think that the ability to end the suffering in our pets is a godsend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Razum'dar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm calling the vet in the morning to schedule their appointments for next week. I have to step up and do this for them, no matter how much it hurts. I can't let them down. I hope will all my heart I'm wrong and there is a rainbow bridge. No one knows for sure and maybe there is more.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm calling the vet in the morning to schedule their appointments for next week. I have to step up and do this for them, no matter how much it hurts. I can't let them down. I hope will all my heart I'm wrong and there is a rainbow bridge. No one knows for sure and maybe there is more.
It may not feel like it now, but you're doing the right thing for them. You're going to be hurting, possibly for a long time, but their pain will be gone.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Whether there is or there isn't, they WILL still always live on in your heart and memories. There, they will never truly die or be gone.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
It hurts like hell, as you know, but you are setting them free and doing a kind thing. You'll be holding them and that's what they will feel last when the pain goes away.
The aftermath is tough, but think of how you gave them such a great life, while you are feeling the loss. :redheartpump:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe we don’t have physical proof but there must be some reason that so very many believe. It is a very old belief too. I have seen enough in my life to be completely convinced and I do not say that lightly. Even science says that energy is not destroyed so it must be somewhere. Perhaps some of it it remains beside you or within you always. :grouphug2:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe we don’t have physical proof but there must be some reason that so very many believe. It is a very old belief too. I have seen enough in my life to be completely convinced and I do not say that lightly. Even science says that energy is not destroyed so it must be somewhere. Perhaps some of it it remains beside you or within you always. :grouphug2:
Me also. I'm basically agnostic, not expecting anything- but have had impressions and feelings. I always wonder what is the dark matter that's talked about. My fur and human loved ones beside me or within me?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope will all my heart I'm wrong and there is a rainbow bridge. No one knows for sure and maybe there is more.
We know that the story of King Arthur is probably just a legend but we still believe in the principles that Arthur stood for... Chivalry, Honor, Truth and Loyalty. We use King Arthur as a symbol for those principles.

King Arthur might have existed. He might be just a legend.
There actually IS archeological evidence that Arthur or an ancient ruler like Arthur could have existed but but there isn’t enough evidence to prove it one way or another. Chances are that King Arthur is a composite figure composed from several great rulers over the ages and that the stories have been told and retold so many times that they have taken on a life of their own.

Does King Arthur NEED to have existed in order to believe in him as a symbol?

If we found out that Arthur didn’t really exist, would people stop believing in truth and honor?

Does the Rainbow Bridge need to exist for you to believe in it as a symbol?

If you found irrefutable proof that the Rainbow Bridge doesn’t really exist would you suddenly stop loving your cats?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope will all my heart I'm wrong and there is a rainbow bridge. No one knows for sure and maybe there is more.
I do know. I've been there, which is a long and strange story in and of itself, but I have. It wasn't like anything I was ever told, or had ever envisioned, but it was wonderful. And my doggy sister, whom I grew up with, was there with my Dad (the reason I was there). So I KNOW.

Remember...you are NOT ending their life, only their pain.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Several have said it....you are not ending their life, only their pain. It is true, the dice have long since been cast and that cannot be undone. You took incredible care of these babies and through no fault of your own, and by nothing that you could have done better, they have reached as far as they can go. If your memories of them are of passing peacefully in your arms, just going to sleep, they will be more comforting than either finding them deceased on the floor, or having a last final episode of terrible pain.

Razum'dar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How are you holding up?
Hey Krienze, it's rough. My vet took 3 days to call me back, and now she's backpedaling on her original offer to come to my home. i made a new post called 'euthanization problems' . It's about my gray cat. My orange one is going to be no problem, but he's a special case and I can't find any help anywhere.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah! A house call to euthanize a cat that can't be transported shouldn't be out of the question.

I know that our vet would do it if asked. She might charge a fee for the house call but I'm certain that she would.

What if the cat's human was elderly and couldn't manage to get the cat into a carrier and haul it to the vet, much less make the drive under such duress? What if the cat couldn't be picked up without risk of injury to the human?

I don't know any reason why a vet would refuse. It's, literally, a fifteen minute procedure at the maximum! More like five! Just make sure that you have the cat ready when the vet gets there. Put them in a quiet room, in a nice bed where they can be comfy. Make sure the house is clean enough that the vet can come in and do what needs to be done with a minimum of fuss.

Since you have two cats in the house, the vet should understand how unwieldy things could get if you had to transport them both.

If your regular vet won't do it, call somebody else who will.

This should be a no-brainer.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your regular vet won't do it, call somebody else who will.
You're right of course, this should be a no-brainer and an automatic "yes of course I'll do it" response from just about any vet, however the OP has made a lot of phone calls, she's apparently out of area for most of them, etc :redheartpump: .

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OP has made a lot of phone calls, she's apparently out of area for most of them, etc :redheartpump: .
"Harrumph!" :hmmm:

Our vet also does large animals like horses and cattle. On-site calls are the norm.

Just try to get a 1,000 lb. cow into the office and up onto an exam table! ;) ;) ;)

I would expect to pay a fee for such service but a cat should be like a walk in the park.

What if you paid cash, up front?

Razum'dar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my vet Finally got back with me, probably just to shut me up, and she said she'd do it...for $600...so I'm going to have to take him in after all. We just have to make special arrangments. I told them to be prepared and that above all else I want this as peaceful as possible. She's going to call in a sedative that I will give him before the carrier/car ride, then more sedative when he arrives. My husband will go with me for support and help. I expected there to be a fee but was thinking a third of that. That's just unbelievable. I feel like they're making a difficult situation more difficult. I've had to talk way too much about this. I'll just be glad when it's over and I'll never have to deal with this vet again.