When is it okay to let kitten back into room/bed

abby2323

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have just gotten a new kitten about a week ago only to find out he has worms (ew). I know this is normal for many kittens and took him to the vet to get checked out. He had tapeworms and We were given dewormer and flea control which I gave him as soon as we got home. I have isolated him in the bathroom with all his stuff so he can pass them. The vet said he should be okay after about 2 days to come back into my room to play, cuddles, etc. however, he still has to take another dose in three weeks to make sure all the worms are truly gone. I might just be freaking myself out because I am very stressed about getting worms myself/finding them in my bed. On the other side I am sad I only can play with him in the bathroom/ feed him for now and I don’t want to keep him isolated longer than needed. Just wanting some feedback if 2 days is enough or should I wait longer? Thanks In advance!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I wish I had more firsthand experience, although Feeby did have tapeworms a long time ago. We treated them, but tbh, didn't do much else besides basic hygiene. Washing bedding and surfaces, frequent cleaning out of the litter box, along with good handwashing will prevent reinfection within an environment - though the eggs themselves are not infectious.

I would say if you follow standard cleaning practices, you are 'good to go'.
Tapeworms In Cats: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - All About Cats