When Introducing Cats..

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What should my response be to my cat's behaviour to the new addition. I have a 5 month old and a 9 wk old. The 5 month old is doing a lot of hissing and growling. I'm trying to let it play out a bit as long as the little one is safe. Should I not behave different to my older one, just remove her if it gets too rough. Tell her no? Try to redirect? Help please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to add, after I posted this my older was walking away and the kitten tagged her in the backside! He really wants to play, it's going to be ok just take time I know. He does not seem to be backing away from her much, so I take this to mean it's going ok?

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swatting, hissing, growling, and even pinning the kitten to the floor are all perfectly normal reactions for your older cat. 5 months old is not very old, so she should join in play very soon. But being a female she may just want to teach him manners and limits first. I would try to redirect the kitten for now, until she accepts him into the family, by throwing a toy in his direction or getting a kickeroo on Amazon, they are irrasistible! Make sure she has a elevated place to escape to if she needs to also. Then she could watch him and feel safe. The main thing to watch for is that as long as he comes back for more play with her, everything is alright. If he starts to avoid her, or hides, then he is being hurt.
Bless you for adding to your family, they are both blessed to have found you too!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's nothing I can add that di and bob di and bob didn't mention, except to ask if your 5 month old has been spayed yet? If not, she'll be having her first heat soon, and that could affect her behaviour, as well as the introduction between her and the new kitten.

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2C8561A3-C0CC-419E-88EF-D66AE6927623.jpeg
Yes she was spayed last Wednesday. It’s amazing how much progress we’ve made today. Much less growling and he was chasing her around! Both kitties are sleeping with our dog under my feet.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Great news! Sounds like you have a purrfect little fur baby family. :petcat:

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would try to redirect the kitten for now, until she accepts him into the family, by throwing a toy in his direction or getting a kickeroo on Amazon, they are irrasistible!
Is this what you are speaking of?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That will do nicely, cats may enjoy that long tail. I noticed the shipping was more than the toy though. Kickeroos are any long, catnip stuffed toy, about 8 inches to a foot long, I think they are invaluable in redirecting a cat's attention. I always keep one in a bag of catnip so they are drawn even more to them. To watch them 'bunny kick' them is very satisfying to see they are getting rid of excess energy!

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an update - we are doing quite well. Still hissing a bit from the older, but now she is playing with him and calls for him. I think we are on our way now to them becoming bonded. Thanks for all the advice!