When feeding chicken hearts and gizzards

fedlawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I anticipate my package from Hare Today, I realize that I'm not sure how to feed the chicken heards and gizzards. Should I feed them whole or chop them up into bite sized pieces?

Thanks!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FedLawyer

As I anticipate my package from Hare Today, I realize that I'm not sure how to feed the chicken heards and gizzards. Should I feed them whole or chop them up into bite sized pieces?

Thanks!
Poultry hearts can usually be fed just as they are. Unless your cats are accomplished chewers, however, you'll probably have to cut the gizzards down a bit. It's all about the cats and what they're comfortable with.

AC

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chicken,duck,turkey hearts are all small enough to feed as is, same with gizzards of small poultry, I do chop up turkey gizzards into 3-4 pieces though. She'd probably handle them fine without it but eats them faster if I do.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How many a week of the hearts? I picked some up today at the store. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thanks!

Wow, you've ordered those?  You're taking quite a leap already!  I checked out that website after Carolina (I think) posted it, and even saw the rabbit heads (yuck)  After looking at the website, and seeing AC's indication of approx how much cats should be eating (of raw), I spend lots of time calculating how many lbs of raw we would need per month, and how much it might cost, then tried to factor in loss of Vet bills, etc.  (too much for my brain, especially on migraine drugs yesterday
) and finally gave up! 

Let us know how they like those hearts and gizzards. 

turks rule!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gizzards are tough and chewy, so i would cut them up quite small for a first try. I just cut them in half for my cat. The hearts i leave whole, again though - maybe cut them up if your cat is not used to raw.

Gizzards are what turned my cat around to eating raw!  Good luck

shannonmaeb46

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not planning on doing all raw, but want to try hearts and gizzards as a treat for my furbaby. Anybody else just using them for that?

caro123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 I always boil the gizzard and heart and liver from any poultry and mince them up and split between my two cats and small dog along with the broth. Actually found a package of gizzards at the local market and froze them

for that purpose. Wish I could find a package of hearts. As far as I understand gizzards and heart are muscle organs and safe. Liver is a secretiing organ and should be used more sparingly from what I have read.

pit of pets

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I usually cook and chicken hearts and gizzards and then blend them as much as I can and add the supplements depending on the needs and age of each of my furry bodies. I occasionally give them small bits and pieces raw with no cooking, but I don't like doing this too often as I'm afraid of salmonella. 

maxine2016

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten loves chicken hearts and gizzards. I getem at the store for a buck forty nine and cut them up as the gizzards are pretty tough. Excellent choice!

thecreampufflion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wish I could find a package of hearts. As far as I understand gizzards and heart are muscle organs and safe. Liver is a secretiing organ and should be used more sparingly from what I have read.
Not sure if you are still looking for hearts, but Publix sells containers of frozen turkey hearts that you have to ask for at their meat counter, the lady told me they are never put out front but they always keep them in their butcher freezer for cats.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats LOVE giblets, and they're a great way to feed chewy healthy things while cutting costs. BTW worry not about overfeeding chicken liver. The fat soluble vitamin content is low enough that there is no danger of toxicity. Duck and turkey and beef liver have much higher vitamin A content so those you have to limit.

I cut them up with scissors into small pieces initially, including the hearts (I cut those in half). To start with you probably want to go even smaller, maybe cut each heart into 3-4 pieces. It's taken quite a while for the cats to get used to eating them as is without puking them right back up, but they finally did - today! Hurrah! It only took about 3 years to get them to eat the whole pieces.

kbstarfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I usually cook and chicken hearts and gizzards and then blend them as much as I can and add the supplements depending on the needs and age of each of my furry bodies. I occasionally give them small bits and pieces raw with no cooking, but I don't like doing this too often as I'm afraid of salmonella.
Can you please share your recipe with me?

Kittenplay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'd love to know what kind of sumplementscyiu use. Thank you!