When do you take down your Christmas decorations?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We are finished. Rick started taking the tree down this morning, while I was on the treadmill. I just now finished a good vacuuming, dusting, etc. Things are back to a semblance of normal around here. I still have some snowmen about and a red tablecloth with white snowflakes on the kitchen table.

Around the end of February (usually Presidents' Day weekend), I'll put the Winterberry dishes away and get out the Fiesta dishes. 

How about you? When do you take your holiday decorations down and put things away?

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When  look at my tree and tell it, Okay, I'm tired of looking at you!"

swamplady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I take mine down around the 9th. When it is King's Day down here. Begining of Mardi Gras.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coming from the South, I was always told it was bad luck to take your tree down before the new year.

I'm not really superstitious but I figure why tempt fate, so they always come down after New Year's Day.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I took mine down today. I usually take them down on New Year's Day or the day after.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't have a tree anyway this time round! I am still fostering two kittens from a litter of 6 and spend every evening with them in the basement (even at Christmas and New Year) so didn't bother decorating the rest of the house apart from electric lights on a tree outside, some LED candles indoors (I don't want my own cats to start a fire with real candles) plus Christmas cards of course. I will no doubt remove most evidence of Christmas by 6th January though the lights outside will remain a bit longer - they brighten up the dark evenings and look nice in the snow.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I normally leave my Christmas decorations and tree up until the middle of January. This year was the latest I ever decorated (a few days before Christmas) and the earliest I've ever taken them down: on New Year's Day. DH has to put everything in the attic, which pretty much needs to be done on a weekend day, due to his work hours, so I decided that yesterday was a good day.

I usually leave a few seasonal touches around the house, such as the greenery. I left the mantle up and some fresh greens in vases around the house. Outside, I kept the fresh pine garland around the front door, and the fresh wreath. They will stay up all winter, unless they get dried out and ugly.

And the kitten, Smedley, looked for the tree this morning! I feel bad that I deprived him of his morning climb. Here's a photo of him in the center of the tree. He takes his toys in there and plays with them.

(The naughty boy back in October, a few weeks after we found him!)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The decorations (and what's left of the artificial tree) are coming down as soon as I finish my coffee. Mogli is going to have an absolute fit. This was his third Christmas with us, and he discovered how much fun it is to dismantle the tree, play hockey with tree ornaments, and drag the tree skirt around the living room.

I dreamt that Jamie visited the night the tree was put up. The next morning we awoke to find that Mogli had adopted Jamie's behavior with Christmas decorations. :)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
When I have time and feel like it. :lol3: I need Aaron's help to get all of the empty totes down to start packing things away. There are some things that I can do without the totes, so I may start doing some of that today.

As far as the outside decorations, I need to unplug the timers so the lights don't go on. It's raining here today, so none of it will get taken down. The next dry day I will take things down and put them into the garage to let them dry off a bit more before packing them away.