When do persians get their permanent eye color?

happyliz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! My kitten was the only one from the litter not with complete copper eyes. He has like 2 colors. He is a red bicolor so I'm assuming they will be copper right?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you mean that he has odd eyes (one copper and one blue eye), or do you mean that his eyes are not as copper as you expected? How old is he now?

Copper eye color can definitely take a while to fully mature... a copper eyed kitten may have eyes that are a dull grayish brown or even brownish green. Usually you will see adult eye color by 9-12 months of age, but I've occasionally had cats take up to 2 years to achieve brilliant adult copper eye color. (I'm not working with Persians, but we have many cats in my breed with similar orange-copper eye color.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happyliz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am having a hard time finding a good picture that will show it but I will post one or two. He is 3.5 months. When he was with the breeder his brother (same litter) had fully copper eyes which is why I'm curious.

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cute kitty! What's his name?

I can't really see his eyes very clearly in these pictures, but is part of the eye at the edge a lighter color than the center?

If you google "sectoral heterochromia cat" you will find lots of pictures of cats with multicolored eyes. Do his eyes look like those cats?

happyliz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you :) his name is Odin. And yes that is what I meant. The center seems copper and the edge is lighter. I googled it and no his eyes don't look like that.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe give him some time and see how his eye color develops? Sectoral heterochromia would be my best guess if it looks like he has copper eyes with blue sections, and it's possible that he could have that since he is a bicolor (which can cause the eyes to be blue or partially blue). But if it looks more like copper eyes with lighter copper sections, it's possible that his eye color is still developing.

happyliz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I believe that is the case maybe he is a little late bloomer compared to his brother 😄 thank you so much for your help.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me, it appears his eye color is still developing. Some are slower than others. I have a girl whose true eye color did not come in until she was close to 5 years old. She is a brown tabby Persian from a silver/golden cross. The sire is a copper eyed silver. For the record, he is from a breeding of a silver and a cream. For years her eyes were green in the center, cooper on the outside, then around her 5th birthday they changed to all green. More information than you asked for!

happyliz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow that is a long time lol but very informative and I'm glad you told me just in case he takes long as well.